• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self defense shooting in Manassas

VAopencarry

imported post

A guy I work with is a volunteer EMT. He told me last night they ran a call, off Sudley Rd(I think). A guy was walking his dog about 10:30pm. Two guys tried to rob him at knife point. He pulled out a S&W 340PD. Two shots fired, 2 head shots, 2 dead bad guys.

I can't find any news item on this. Anyone else hear about it?

PS: I have no reason to believe my co-worker was making it up.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Not seen or heard anything either. Seems that something this sensational would have been picked up by the press by now. We shall see I guess.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Two head shots, two dead. That's unusual shooting I'd say. He'd have to have been spending some range time *and* have a "certain" mentality to pull that off.

I'd like to see if this pans out as a true story.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Two head shots, two dead. That's unusual shooting I'd say. He'd have to have been spending some range time *and* have a "certain" mentality to pull that off.

I'd like to see if this pans out as a true story.
+1

suntzu

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
A guy I work with is a volunteer EMT. He told me last night they ran a call, off Sudley Rd(I think). A guy was walking his dog about 10:30pm. Two guys tried to rob him at knife point. He pulled out a S&W 340PD. Two shots fired, 2 head shots, 2 dead bad guys.

Two shots fired and two hits to the head, two b/g deceased....

If this story is true and the insdividual who killed them does not end being indicted on a manslaughter charge--I'll be surprised....he was intentionally trying to kill them when he opened fire--the rounds to the head is the giveaway, at least to me--maybe it was reflex-it certainly sounded like he was aiming to kill them as opposed to just stopping the attack.

I don't see this boding well for the person who defended himself if this story is true.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The only incidents I have been able to find is an incident in Dunfries (Manassas is mid county Dunfries is east end of county) where a guy was approached by two armed men. One of them fired a gun missing the victims. The victim gave up his valuables and the Bad guys left.

The second was in Manassas, and again a single victims was approached by two guys with a knife. The victims was robbed and the purps got away.

Obviously neither of these is anything like the OP. A shooting like this would make big news here, so it is unlikely that the story is being suppressed.

Regards

gotm4

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I heard the story yesterday as well from a Manassas Park police officer. I can't find anything else out as well. I'll ask around from others I know in law enforcement.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

suntzu wrote:

If this story is true and the insdividual who killed them does not end being indicted on a manslaughter charge--I'll be surprised....he was intentionally trying to kill them when he opened fire--the rounds to the head is the giveaway, at least to me--maybe it was reflex-it certainly sounded like he was aiming to kill them as opposed to just stopping the attack.

I don't see this boding well for the person who defended himself if this story is true.
What?! What kind of logis is this? Who cares? I don't. If it's true there are just 2 less drones to help bleed the system.

hsmith

imported post

suntzu wrote:

Any case law to back this up?

TFred

imported post

In the CHP class I took earlier this year (before I decided not to get a Virginia CHP), it was presented that you will be in a much less tenable position for "shooting to wound" than for "shooting to stop the attacker". You need lethal or potentially lethal force do do the latter. The former will just land you in front of a jury trying to explain why you shot someone if you didn't feel your life was in danger.

TFred

nitrovic

imported post

suntzu wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:

If this story is true and the insdividual who killed them does not end being indicted on  a  manslaughter charge--I'll be surprised....he was intentionally trying to kill them when he opened fire--the rounds to the head is  the giveaway, at least to me--maybe it was reflex-it certainly sounded like he was aiming to kill them as opposed to just stopping the attack. 

This is simply not true. If the person was in fear for their life (such as being robbed at knife point) I think deadly force is authorized, I see no reason why they would be charged with manslaugher. If you are justified in using deadly force, it doesn't matter where you shoot.

Furthermore, I can't even find the story anywhere. A double "homicide" (legal or not) would be a front page story in this area.

nitrovic

imported post

TFred wrote:
In the CHP class I took earlier this year (before I decided not to get a Virginia CHP), it was presented that you will be in a much less tenable position for "shooting to wound" than for "shooting to stop the attacker".  You need lethal or potentially lethal force do do the latter.  The former will just land you in front of a jury trying to explain why you shot someone if you didn't feel your life was in danger.

TFred

I've never taken a class (in civilian, military, or LE) where it is taught to "shoot to wound". Using a firearm on another human is presumed to intend "deadly force" (which this scenario would certainly be). What course and what instructor told you the above?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
In the CHP class I took earlier this year (before I decided not to get a Virginia CHP), it was presented that you will be in a much less tenable position for "shooting to wound" than for "shooting to stop the attacker". You need lethal or potentially lethal force do do the latter. The former will just land you in front of a jury trying to explain why you shot someone if you didn't feel your life was in danger.

TFred

Actually the reverse may be more likely. We do have a law on the books 18.2-51, malicious wounding.

Under this code section shooting someone with the specific intent of wounding them could really get you in a crack. It should be noted that while there might be an exemption elsewhere in the code, there is no self defense exemption in this section itself.

Regards

TFred

imported post

Perhaps I spoke too euphamistically... the point made by the instructor was clearly that if you "shoot to wound", you will be in a heap of trouble! Apologies, I see that was a poor choice of wording on my part.

I think the instructor was trying to be kind but clear to the guy who asked about it, who in my estimation, was one of those few folks you do occasionally encounter who should not be carrying a firearm...

We had a simulated real-life encounter training scenario at the end of the class, sort of a Wii on steroids... this guy was dead each time. Never raised his weapon at any point in the scenario. He did get pretty good at turning around and asking "am I dead?"

:banghead:

TFred