Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to OC in louisiana

Post imported post

Im new to Open Carrying in Louisiana and hope to make contact with like minded fellow citizens. I live nea Monroe. Anyone want to chat , hit me up. Rick

Post imported post

I am in Shreveport if you are ever over this way.

I get over your way every once in awhile, but not often.

Welcome to the site!

Post imported post

Hi! Thanks for the reply! I hope to hear back from you. Thnx.Rick

Post imported post

I am in Shreveport as well. I am leary about OCing for the simple fact that LEOs harrass law-abiding citizens.

LACarry, is there any city or Caddo ordinances that restrict OC?

Post imported post

The only place that differs from State law that I am aware of off hand is no carry in cemeteries or parks.

The cemetery thing is a Caddo ordinance (passed before the preemption law, so statutorily legal, though unconstitutional), the park thing is a Shreveport thing (passed after the preemption law, so of no authority- I am working with the city council to get that repealed, in the mean time, though, it could be beaten in court easily, I should think).

Do I know you?

When are we going shooting?

Post imported post

I'm not sure that we know each other, although it is possible we have crossed paths.

I work at LSU Med Ctr (a no firearm zone ) and use the range at Shooter's USA in Bossier City. I'll probably be heading over to the range this weekend sometime if you would be interested in meeting up to do some shooting.

Maybe I'll start OC'ing when I get some Federal HST's...could you post a link to the State laws concerning OC. I'm not sure I have come acrossed it yet in my reading.

Post imported post

You can legally carry (concealed) at the med center if you have a parish permit, which you get at the courthouse. That is not to say you won't be breaking any rules, but you won't be breaking any laws. I have one and can carry at LSUS legally, for example.

Anyway, no Shooters for me. You are welcome to be my guest at a real range, though- Long Range Alley http://lra-tti.com

My # is 773-9393 or 584-4105

Post imported post

Do you have opposition to Shooters? Just a curious, because I only knew of Shooters and Bodau WMA as far as ranges in the area.

Post imported post

Oh, btw, I bumped the LA OC FAQ thread for you. Look on the forum index for answers to your LAW OC law question.

Yes, I refuse to set foot in Shooters. I have a list of reasons, public health and safety being the top, with rude staff being next and price/policies being after that. Paul asked me to list them on my LA Ranges index, but I have yet to do it, purposely.

Once you come to LRA you will likely never go to another range, unless you just live right next to one of the others and are pressed for time.

Post imported post

I saw there is an application for LRA. Does that mean it is not open to the public? Is there a membership fee for use of the facility?

Post imported post

You can be the guest of a member up to three times a year for only $5 (for the whole day).

You can join at any time, if you prefer. You do not have to "know someone."

Membership is charged anually, but it is extremely reasonable for all you get (I forget, but I think it is like $16 a month or something).

Post imported post

I'll have to look into it and read their site for more information. Sounde pretty awesome from the bits I have read. So when are you free to shoot?

As far as OC'ing in Shreveport, have you had any trouble or hassle from loval authorities while you've been OC'ing? Also, what is your general opinion about the acceptance of OC while you're out and about? Do people seem receptive to the idea of armed citizens? The reason I ask, is because I've not ever seen anyone OC.

Post imported post

I oc sometimes, cc sometimes, as appropriate.

I have never had any problems or negative looks, save one time a cop who worked at a deli for his second job came out and asked if I had a CHP. I politely told him that was irrelevant, since Iwas not CCing. He started to argue and showed me his LEO ID, but I quoted the laws chapter and verse (politely, but firmly), and he backed off. Almost the same thing happened with a SRT guy who was in line beside me at Hollywood video. I immediately demonstrated (politely) that I knew the law better than he did, and he backed off. Outside of that, I have OCed in front of numerous SPD, Caddo Deps, BPD, Marshals, etc with no problem. Heck, one of the Asst. Chiefs of the SPD saw me OCing at Rite Aid a few months back and didn't even blink. Shreveport is pretty gun friendly. I go shooting with a Councilman, several Asst. DAs, several SPD, LSP, etc. They are pretty solid pro-gun people, in my experience. Prator even signs off Form 7s (machine gun transfers and the like) with no hassle- just drop the form off at his office.

Post imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:

I have never had any problems or negative looks, save one time a cop who worked at a deli for his second job came out and asked if I had a CHP. I politely told him that was irrelevant, since Iwas not CCing. He started to argue and showed me his LEO ID, but I quoted the laws chapter and verse (politely, but firmly), and he backed off. Almost the same thing happened with a SRT guy who was in line beside me at Hollywood video. I immediately demonstrated (politely) that I knew the law better than he did, and he backed off. Outside of that, I have OCed in front of numerous SPD, Caddo Deps, BPD, Marshals, etc with no problem. Heck, one of the Asst. Chiefs of the SPD saw me OCing at Rite Aid a few months back and didn't even blink. Shreveport is pretty gun friendly. I go shooting with a Councilman, several Asst. DAs, several SPD, LSP, etc. They are pretty solid pro-gun people, in my experience. Prator even signs off Form 7s (machine gun transfers and the like) with no hassle- just drop the form off at his office.
    But in LA, it's Machine Guns made before 1985 right ?

Could I also get him to sign off whenI plan on ordering a CAN for my Walther P22 ? Or does it have to be Local Sheriff ?

Post imported post

So I have been reading over things and the ambiguity surrounding establishments that sell alcohol still has me perplexed. I don't ever plan to carry in a bar. I will NOT carry and consume, so that is a none issue. However, what carry is permitted in restaurants that sell alcohol?

Post imported post

99vengeur wrote:
    So I have been reading over things and the ambiguity surrounding establishments that sell alcohol still has me perplexed. I don't ever plan to carry in a bar. I will NOT carry and consume, so that is a none issue. However, what carry is permitted in restaurants that sell alcohol?
    I THINK, it's majority. As in Bar = NO OC

Hooters = OC Friendly

I could be wrong, you should look us the answer on louisianacarry.org

Post imported post

RS 14:95.4D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

From this, I gather that it is legal to open carry into a restaurant. However, it would not be legal to open carry into a bowling alley that has a bar. Would these statements be correct?

Post imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
    You are welcome to be my guest at a real range, though- Long Range Alley http://lra-tti.com
    Looks like a decent range, especially for rifle shooting. I might have to try my hand at long ranges using some old WWII-era wood-and-steel one of these days.

I'll be in Keatchie tomorrow (Friday), but won't have time for shooting.

Post imported post

99vengeur wrote:
    RS 14:95.4D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

From this, I gather that it is legal to open carry into a restaurant. However, it would not be legal to open carry into a bowling alley that has a bar. Would these statements be correct?
    Incorrect. While constituional, it is stautorily prohibited to open carry in any establishment licensed to sell alcohol on premesis.
    The law you pulled from is not the law prohibiting carry- it is the one outlining when they can perform a warrantless (unconstitutional) search. So, they can only search you for weapons in a place that sells mostly alcohol, but they can charge you with illegal carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption, regardless of percent of sales. That law has its own definition, which does not include the words you quoted.

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    Louisiana Carry wrote:

But in LA, it's Machine Guns made before 1985 right ?

Could I also get him to sign off whenI plan on ordering a CAN for my Walther P22 ? Or does it have to be Local Sheriff ?
    A form 7 (not just LA) is only for legally trasferrable Class III weapons, of which items that were registered prior to the MG ban are an example.

It has to be YOUR CLEO, so you could only use Prator if you lived in Caddo.

Post imported post

99vengeur wrote:
    The way the law is being interpreted, concealed carry is allowed in a non-Class A portion of an establishment, with a CHP pursuant to 1379.3.

Post imported post

What specifically is a non-Class A establishment? I have not found this definition or classification in my readings.

So in other words, "alcoholic beverage outlet" has two different meanings between RS 14:95.4 and 14:95.5?? There in-lies their problem with ambiguity.

Post imported post

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

(1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.

(2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.

(3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.

(4) A polling place.

(5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.

(6) The state capitol building.

(7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.

(8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.

(9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.

(10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

By inference, a handgun may be carried with a CHP into a place that is not a Class A (bar, or portion of a restaraunt that is a bar).

Post imported post

RS 14:95.4 Consent to search; alcoholic beverage outlet
    RS 14:95.5 Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

Post imported post

Okay, now things are beginning to become clear. For a restaurant, CC is allowed in the dining portion, but not the bar portion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast