• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to OC in louisiana

RickMarc

imported post

Im new to Open Carrying in Louisiana and hope to make contact with like minded fellow citizens. I live nea Monroe. Anyone want to chat , hit me up. Rick

99vengeur

imported post

I am in Shreveport as well. I am leary about OCing for the simple fact that LEOs harrass law-abiding citizens.

LACarry, is there any city or Caddo ordinances that restrict OC?

Louisiana Carry

imported post

The only place that differs from State law that I am aware of off hand is no carry in cemeteries or parks.

The cemetery thing is a Caddo ordinance (passed before the preemption law, so statutorily legal, though unconstitutional), the park thing is a Shreveport thing (passed after the preemption law, so of no authority- I am working with the city council to get that repealed, in the mean time, though, it could be beaten in court easily, I should think).

Do I know you?

When are we going shooting?

99vengeur

imported post

I'm not sure that we know each other, although it is possible we have crossed paths.

I work at LSU Med Ctr (a no firearm zone :() and use the range at Shooter's USA in Bossier City. I'll probably be heading over to the range this weekend sometime if you would be interested in meeting up to do some shooting.

Maybe I'll start OC'ing when I get some Federal HST's...could you post a link to the State laws concerning OC. I'm not sure I have come acrossed it yet in my reading.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

You can legally carry (concealed) at the med center if you have a parish permit, which you get at the courthouse. That is not to say you won't be breaking any rules, but you won't be breaking any laws. I have one and can carry at LSUS legally, for example.

Anyway, no Shooters for me. You are welcome to be my guest at a real range, though- Long Range Alley http://lra-tti.com

My # is 773-9393 or 584-4105

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Oh, btw, I bumped the LA OC FAQ thread for you. Look on the forum index for answers to your LAW OC law question.

Yes, I refuse to set foot in Shooters. I have a list of reasons, public health and safety being the top, with rude staff being next and price/policies being after that. Paul asked me to list them on my LA Ranges index, but I have yet to do it, purposely.

Once you come to LRA you will likely never go to another range, unless you just live right next to one of the others and are pressed for time.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

You can be the guest of a member up to three times a year for only $5 (for the whole day).

You can join at any time, if you prefer. You do not have to "know someone."

Membership is charged anually, but it is extremely reasonable for all you get (I forget, but I think it is like $16 a month or something).

99vengeur

imported post

I'll have to look into it and read their site for more information. Sounde pretty awesome from the bits I have read. So when are you free to shoot? :cool:

As far as OC'ing in Shreveport, have you had any trouble or hassle from loval authorities while you've been OC'ing? Also, what is your general opinion about the acceptance of OC while you're out and about? Do people seem receptive to the idea of armed citizens? The reason I ask, is because I've not ever seen anyone OC.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

I oc sometimes, cc sometimes, as appropriate.

I have never had any problems or negative looks, save one time a cop who worked at a deli for his second job came out and asked if I had a CHP. I politely told him that was irrelevant, since Iwas not CCing. He started to argue and showed me his LEO ID, but I quoted the laws chapter and verse (politely, but firmly), and he backed off. Almost the same thing happened with a SRT guy who was in line beside me at Hollywood video. I immediately demonstrated (politely) that I knew the law better than he did, and he backed off. Outside of that, I have OCed in front of numerous SPD, Caddo Deps, BPD, Marshals, etc with no problem. Heck, one of the Asst. Chiefs of the SPD saw me OCing at Rite Aid a few months back and didn't even blink. Shreveport is pretty gun friendly. I go shooting with a Councilman, several Asst. DAs, several SPD, LSP, etc. They are pretty solid pro-gun people, in my experience. Prator even signs off Form 7s (machine gun transfers and the like) with no hassle- just drop the form off at his office.

Dustin

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
I oc sometimes, cc sometimes, as appropriate.

I have never had any problems or negative looks, save one time a cop who worked at a deli for his second job came out and asked if I had a CHP. I politely told him that was irrelevant, since Iwas not CCing. He started to argue and showed me his LEO ID, but I quoted the laws chapter and verse (politely, but firmly), and he backed off. Almost the same thing happened with a SRT guy who was in line beside me at Hollywood video. I immediately demonstrated (politely) that I knew the law better than he did, and he backed off. Outside of that, I have OCed in front of numerous SPD, Caddo Deps, BPD, Marshals, etc with no problem. Heck, one of the Asst. Chiefs of the SPD saw me OCing at Rite Aid a few months back and didn't even blink. Shreveport is pretty gun friendly. I go shooting with a Councilman, several Asst. DAs, several SPD, LSP, etc. They are pretty solid pro-gun people, in my experience. Prator even signs off Form 7s (machine gun transfers and the like) with no hassle- just drop the form off at his office.
But in LA, it's Machine Guns made before 1985 right ?

Could I also get him to sign off whenI plan on ordering a CAN for my Walther P22 ? Or does it have to be Local Sheriff ?

99vengeur

imported post

So I have been reading over things and the ambiguity surrounding establishments that sell alcohol still has me perplexed. I don't ever plan to carry in a bar. I will NOT carry and consume, so that is a none issue. However, what carry is permitted in restaurants that sell alcohol?

Dustin

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
So I have been reading over things and the ambiguity surrounding establishments that sell alcohol still has me perplexed. I don't ever plan to carry in a bar. I will NOT carry and consume, so that is a none issue. However, what carry is permitted in restaurants that sell alcohol?
I THINK, it's majority. As in Bar = NO OC

Hooters = OC Friendly

I could be wrong, you should look us the answer on louisianacarry.org

99vengeur

imported post

RS 14:95.4D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

From this, I gather that it is legal to open carry into a restaurant. However, it would not be legal to open carry into a bowling alley that has a bar. Would these statements be correct?

KBCraig

imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
You are welcome to be my guest at a real range, though- Long Range Alley http://lra-tti.com

Looks like a decent range, especially for rifle shooting. I might have to try my hand at long ranges using some old WWII-era wood-and-steel one of these days.

I'll be in Keatchie tomorrow (Friday), but won't have time for shooting.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
RS 14:95.4D. An "alcoholic beverage outlet" shall not include a restaurant if a majority of its gross receipts are from sales of food and non-alcoholic beverages.

From this, I gather that it is legal to open carry into a restaurant. However, it would not be legal to open carry into a bowling alley that has a bar. Would these statements be correct?
Incorrect. While constituional, it is stautorily prohibited to open carry in any establishment licensed to sell alcohol on premesis.
The law you pulled from is not the law prohibiting carry- it is the one outlining when they can perform a warrantless (unconstitutional) search. So, they can only search you for weapons in a place that sells mostly alcohol, but they can charge you with illegal carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption, regardless of percent of sales. That law has its own definition, which does not include the words you quoted.