• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to OC in louisiana

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Louisiana Carry wrote:
I oc sometimes, cc sometimes, as appropriate.

I have never had any problems or negative looks, save one time a cop who worked at a deli for his second job came out and asked if I had a CHP. I politely told him that was irrelevant, since Iwas not CCing. He started to argue and showed me his LEO ID, but I quoted the laws chapter and verse (politely, but firmly), and he backed off. Almost the same thing happened with a SRT guy who was in line beside me at Hollywood video. I immediately demonstrated (politely) that I knew the law better than he did, and he backed off. Outside of that, I have OCed in front of numerous SPD, Caddo Deps, BPD, Marshals, etc with no problem. Heck, one of the Asst. Chiefs of the SPD saw me OCing at Rite Aid a few months back and didn't even blink. Shreveport is pretty gun friendly. I go shooting with a Councilman, several Asst. DAs, several SPD, LSP, etc. They are pretty solid pro-gun people, in my experience. Prator even signs off Form 7s (machine gun transfers and the like) with no hassle- just drop the form off at his office.
But in LA, it's Machine Guns made before 1985 right ?

Could I also get him to sign off whenI plan on ordering a CAN for my Walther P22 ? Or does it have to be Local Sheriff ?

A form 7 (not just LA) is only for legally trasferrable Class III weapons, of which items that were registered prior to the MG ban are an example.

It has to be YOUR CLEO, so you could only use Prator if you lived in Caddo.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
So I have been reading over things and the ambiguity surrounding establishments that sell alcohol still has me perplexed. I don't ever plan to carry in a bar. I will NOT carry and consume, so that is a none issue. However, what carry is permitted in restaurants that sell alcohol?
The way the law is being interpreted, concealed carry is allowed in a non-Class A portion of an establishment, with a CHP pursuant to 1379.3.

99vengeur

imported post

What specifically is a non-Class A establishment? I have not found this definition or classification in my readings.

So in other words, "alcoholic beverage outlet" has two different meanings between RS 14:95.4 and 14:95.5?? There in-lies their problem with ambiguity. :banghead:

Louisiana Carry

imported post

[align=justify]N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:[/align]

[align=justify](1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.[/align]

[align=justify](2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.[/align]

[align=justify](3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.[/align]

[align=justify](4) A polling place.[/align]

[align=justify](5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.[/align]

[align=justify](6) The state capitol building.[/align]

[align=justify](7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.[/align]

[align=justify](8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.[/align]

[align=justify](9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.[/align]

[align=justify](10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.[/align]

By inference, a handgun may be carried with a CHP into a place that is not a Class A (bar, or portion of a restaraunt that is a bar).

Louisiana Carry

imported post

99vengeur wrote:
What specifically is a non-Class A establishment? I have not found this definition or classification in my readings.

So in other words, "alcoholic beverage outlet" has two different meanings between RS 14:95.4 and 14:95.5?? There in-lies their problem with ambiguity. :banghead:

No, the ambiguity stems from the fact that the CHP statute says that you cannot carry anywhere that is prohibited by State law, and any place that sells alcohol is prohibted by State law, but in the same law it inferrs that you may carry in an alcoholic begerage establishment if it is not a Class A establishment.

The law saying you cannot carry in a place that sells alcohol is not abiguous, it is just that they set a higher standard for the other law that authorizes unconstitutional searches. All of which is irrelevant for OC anyway (because the only exception is for concealed carry, and a search is not needed to see you OCing).

Louisiana Carry

imported post

Very easy- whole process takes like 1/2 hour, and it costs $35.00.

Go to the CPSO Records window in the basement of the courthouse with your ID and $35, and fill out a one page form. They take your prints and a pic, and you can come back and pick it up in a couple days or have them mail it to you.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

scan00.jpg

99vengeur

imported post

Do they allow spectators? The reason I ask is because I just recently purchased my first handgun, and have only made it to the range once with it (although it went quite well for a beginner). I'm not sure that I am "skilled" enough to enter matches yet, but who knows.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

It is not that kind of (high stress) match.

Whatever skill level you are at is perfectly fine.

But, yes, if you are really concerned, you can watch.

Really, though, you can shoot if you want.

chad pf-9

imported post

wasjust checking out the web site.Pretty cool.I wish we had somthing like that(RWPS) down here in SE LA.

I am thinking about maybe trying to get some advice,& help,& get somthing like that started down here in my area.I have access to a good bit of land that I can get things setup on and go shooting.(its a nice wooded area down a private gated gravel road,about 2000 yards from the highway).

I've been OC'ing for a while,but have been wanting to get some tactical/practical training for some time now.I have downloaded some drills from the internet to practice with,but it would be much nicer to have a club/group to do them with.

If anybody down here in SE LA wants to get together,& get somthing started ,let me know.