• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first bad experience in Port Angeles

Granum

imported post

So it started like this. I live right behind a 76 gas station witch is convenient so i thought.

I was open carrying like I always do. I walked out back and to the store. as I entered the lady behind the counter in a loud voice stated really fast "I don't want you bring your gun in here. Im sure you have a license, I talked to the owner and he said its ok for me to tell you that. It just makes me "FEEL" nervous. Then I replied respectfully I can do that its your decision. Due to the snow that was coming down like hell I asked if it would be ok to get some spicy cheetose sence I was already there. (there better then beer nuts) She said yes thats ok. As I was getting them a man behind the next row said smugley,"Whey would you need a gun anyway." I wasn't in the mood to educate because at that point he wasn't questioning the legality so I stated,"Its for protection and I'm an officer and in my line of work you get to meet alot of unsavy people in this area." all he said was thats a good reason and kinda shut up. as I left the checker had a diffrent attitude and probubly felt stuppid but I just didn't want to talk to her.

I have always open carry there more times then I can remember. It is just disappointing that I no longer want to shop there.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Granum wrote:
I wasn't in the mood to educate.... ....but I just didn't want to talk to her.

I have been rebuked for passing up an opportunity to remove the veil of mystery about gun owners and dispell the notion that those who carry guns are deserving of suspicion... and I would like to pass it on.

Whether or not you know it, every time someone chooses to exersize their right to keep and bear arms for the world to see, we are ambassadors and diplomats for the cause.

In my case, I blew it by pulling out an arrogant well worn phrase that did nothing to advance the concept of lawful armed self defense.

In short, we ought to remind ourselves that we are always ambassadors- either as a worthy supporter of the second, or the detractor of the same.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Granum wrote:
I wasn't in the mood to educate.... ....but I just didn't want to talk to her.

I have been rebuked for passing up an opportunity to remove the veil of mystery about gun owners and dispell the notion that those who carry guns are deserving of suspicion... and I would like to pass it on.

Whether or not you know it, every time someone chooses to exersize their right to keep and bear arms for the world to see, we are ambassadors and diplomats for the cause.

In my case, I blew it by pulling out an arrogant well worn phrase that did nothing to advance the concept of lawful armed self defense.

In short, we ought to remind ourselves that we are always ambassadors- either as a worthy supporter of the second, or the detractor of the same.

This is why I conceal much of the time.

Granum

imported post

Now that I cooled down because I posted this about 2 min. after the indecent. I think I should of talked to her. Especially because I am entrusted by the state of Washington to enforce the Washington administrative codes as referred to prisons. I think I will write her and the owner a letter explaining the reason behind open carry. I will also mention that there is nothing to worry about because in my experiences with convicts they never open carry. They say to sum it up, that would be stupid. I should of had more Patience with the two, but at the time I wasn't able to do it in the appropriate fashion. But its all a learning experience and thanks for your input.

Mad Pick

imported post

Granum wrote:
Now that I cooled down because I posted this about 2 min. after the indecent. I think I should of talked to her. Especially because I am entrusted by the state of Washington to enforce the Washington administrative codes as referred to prisons. I think I will write her and the owner a letter explaining the reason behind open carry. I will also mention that there is nothing to worry about because in my experiences with convicts they never open carry. They say to sum it up, that would be stupid. I should of had more Patience with the two, but at the time I wasn't able to do it in the appropriate fashion. But its all a learning experience and thanks for your input.
Maybe you should just go back (without the gun, or conceal it) and talk to her. A friendly conversation and a smile might come off better than an "education" by letter.

Just a thought. I commend you for following up, regardless of how you choose to do it.

Granum

imported post

I did a fallow up (no O/C this time). The lady I talked to the first time wasn't there so I talked to the other employee I see there all the time. I of course told tried to tell him where I was coming from. All he said right off the bat is they sell beer so they can tell you not to have a gun. I then of course tried to correct him by saying That law is only for places where the liquor control board has designated as 21 and older only. He stated that that was how he was going to interpret it and that gas stations and liquor stores are the top places that get robed. At that point I knew that I wasn't going to get anywhere with him and just said goodbye and left.

:banghead:seems to me this is not an O/C friendly place but a place with very ignorant people.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Granum wrote:
He stated that that was how he was going to interpret it and that gas stations and liquor stores are the top places that get robed.
He does realize that his interpretation of the law is the same thing as a private opinion?

It sounds like he felt that he needed to justify his irrational ban on firearms somehow, and was reaching for a rational response.

Self delusion at its finest.

Granum

imported post

http://www.athenaresearch.com/research/uniform_crime_report_1999.pdf

moz-screenshot-4.jpg
moz-screenshot-5.jpg
a good pie chart on the statistics he had miss stated. a little old but it can't of changed that drastically.
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg