• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My First Post

TheWarrior

imported post

Hello there,

I'm not sure if you all do intro threads on this forum or where the appropriate subforum would be, so I hope this is okay.

I've been serious about guns for a long time now, and for the past year have been becoming more and more aligned with the OC movement. I've strived to join OCDO for months, trying over and over again, but it was only moments ago that I got it to work. (Dumb computer; had to use another browser, but thank God it finally worked, eh?)

I admit I have no firearm and have no experience in firearms except one joyous outing with one of my best buddies (a forum member here) who gave me my first shooting lesson. I have not been raised around weapons and I also live in the state of California. I want to move...eventually, but in the mean time, I want to be able to defend my family and myself.

I'm deeply interested in carrying, especially OC'ing. I also havea desire to know the carrying lawsconcerningknives, pepper spray, etc. I very much want to know these laws like the back of my hand so I will havea leg to stand on if I ever got harassed.

Oh, and if it matters to anyone, I'm 20 years old. So, that said, you will have to forgive me. Due to my home and upbringing I am a novice, having gleaned about as much as I can from semi-casual booklearning. I want to learn about guns, the best ones for PD, how to use them, and how to carry them.

This is why I came here....

Spencer

FogRider

imported post

Welcome to the boards! There's no problem with being a novice (we all were at one time, right?), and being able to admit it is great. This is a great place to learn.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO TheWarrior. The General Discussion forum is a good place for an introductory post. I suspect you'll discover a wealth of regionally specificinformation in the California subforum farther down the main page. I like to follow topics there because I believe that California OCers can and will have a positive and important role in the advancement of OC awareness across the country.

But you will find that we all jump in to any good thread no matter what subforum it's in. You're in the right place.

Also if you are having some particular problem navigating the board, there are quite a few knowledgeable tech guys/gals that will probably help out. Folks here tend to help out the willing.

FogRider

imported post

cccook wrote:
...But you will find that we all jump in to any good thread no matter what forum it's in. You're in the right place.
I tend to just hit the recent button at the main forum page. That gives me a most recent (stickies at the top) list of all posts, regardless of what subforum they are in. I don't post very often, but you'll see me anywhere.

4armed Architect

imported post

Spencer,

Wecome to OCDO. I too, am a newbie. Only on since June. California is a minefield. Definitely spend time on the CA boards as well as the general and technical boards. The CA boards(I guess they all do) have some very learned folks that can help with CA law.
I strongly recommend that when a topic is discussed, that you read/watch the accompanying links to case law, Federal or State law, studies, articles, etc. You will learn more in 6 months than you can imagine. It will take time to absorb it all. Ask questions about what the acronyms mean(for example, SCOTUS means Supreme Court of the United States). Most members are here to help one another. If someone calls you names or treats you poorly(does occasionally happen), I recommend you ignore it. Consider it passion or stupidity and don't lose any sleep over it. Suck as much knowledge and info as you can from this forum. It will only benefit you.

In CA, the school zone issue will be one of your biggest deterrents to OCing in CA.(It is but one of my biggest). Study the issue and the CA pamplets well before OCing. It will be very easy to get tripped up. Get a voice recorder. It is a must for CA Ocing.

CA knife laws will be much more difficult to master as they vary by jurisdiction. A knife that is legal in one town may not be in another. You can get some info from this forum, but you'll probably need to explore elsewhere as well.

Have fun!:celebrate Be prepared(the Boy Scout in me couldn't resist).:lol:

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Not just the school zones. A marine was arrested for legal OC on the 4th of July in Cali! The charges have been dropped by the DA, but the City Attorney is still intent on bringing charges.

He will most likely win, but it goes to show that Cali needs people like you to educate other citizens and law enforcement that OC is legal! (When the rules are followed)

See more on him here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/13658.html

And welcome to the board!

TheWarrior

imported post

Wow; thanks so much for the very warm welcome! I've come here to learn, and I often thought that about my biggest problem with learning OC'ing, etc. was my computer trouble depriving me of this very site. :)

Expect me to ask dumb questions; after all, like I said I'm only starting and know next to nothing! Off to the forums I go!

Michigander

imported post

The only dumb question is one that isn't asked, or one that is intended to be dumb. When it comes to guns and gun laws, there is NO room for ignorance!

I wish you the best of luck in your quest to become a responsible gun owner, and I wish you just as much luck in making an escape from Cali. Free America needs more patriots. :)

Michigander

imported post

So are AZ and Utah. But then again, I went about 2400 miles by car in 59 hours. Distance shouldn't be considered an issue.;)

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For now, fight the good fight on the western front. Thanks to all who are reinforcing the OC battle in Texas, your help is not unnoticed. With any luck us Texicans flush with OC victory will be refortifying efforts in the other states and regions where OC battles are yet to be won.

mjones

imported post

mzbk2l wrote:
Michigander wrote:
So are AZ and Utah. But then again, I went about 2400 miles by car in 59 hours. Distance shouldn't be considered an issue.;)
Wimp. I've done Lansing to Phoenix in 30. :)

Welcome, TheWarrior!

Seatac Airport to Fort Bragg, NC in 52 hours...a very similar average speed! ;)

Route Map

Pamiam

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Hello there,

I'm not sure if you all do intro threads on this forum or where the appropriate subforum would be, so I hope this is okay.

I've been serious about guns for a long time now, and for the past year have been becoming more and more aligned with the OC movement. I've strived to join OCDO for months, trying over and over again, but it was only moments ago that I got it to work. (Dumb computer; had to use another browser, but thank God it finally worked, eh?)

I admit I have no firearm and have no experience in firearms except one joyous outing with one of my best buddies (a forum member here) who gave me my first shooting lesson. I have not been raised around weapons and I also live in the state of California. I want to move...eventually, but in the mean time, I want to be able to defend my family and myself.

I'm deeply interested in carrying, especially OC'ing. I also havea desire to know the carrying lawsconcerningknives, pepper spray, etc. I very much want to know these laws like the back of my hand so I will havea leg to stand on if I ever got harassed.

Oh, and if it matters to anyone, I'm 20 years old. So, that said, you will have to forgive me. Due to my home and upbringing I am a novice, having gleaned about as much as I can from semi-casual booklearning. I want to learn about guns, the best ones for PD, how to use them, and how to carry them.

This is why I came here....

Spencer
It's great to meet you!

Own any firearms you want, anywhere you want. You have my blessing as long as you own/use them responsibly. That's all anyone asks.

So, have you decided what to do about CA yet? You only have 2 choices: move or get involved. What'll it be? :)

TheWarrior

imported post

Pamiam wrote:
So, have you decided what to do about CA yet? You only have 2 choices: move or get involved. What'll it be? :)
Well, since I still live here...the latter. :-D In the future...the former. :)

Gordie

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I wish you just as much luck in making an escape from Cali. Free America needs more patriots. :)
California needs them more. :p

Fight the fight in California, but when you need a little R&R, Nevada is a short drive away. You can blast away almost anywhere here. Great stress relief and loads of fun.

Plus there is almost always someone willing to join you, so you can share toys.:celebrate

TheWarrior

imported post

Really? Hmm.... *begins to plan road trip to Nevada*

Nah, really I'd probably go to Utah instead. I have friends out there, one of them a shooter....