Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choice of caliber, .45 instead of 9mm

Post imported post

Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

huh?
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_caliber
    The Cavalry had fielded some double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt, and they determined that the .38 caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as those encountered in the Moro Rebellion warriors they were fighting at the time of the Philippine-American war, than the .45 Colt. The current issue rifle at the time, the .30-40 Krag, also had failed to stop Moro warriors;[3] the British had similar issues switching to the .303 British, which resulted in the development of the Dum-dum bullet. This experience, and the Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 led the Army and the Cavalry to decide that a minimum of .45 caliber was required in the replacement handgun.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    huh?
    +1

Banned

Post imported post

Your linking skills fail. We already know that extra 5ft/lbs makes all the difference. :quirky I usually thrust my hands forward when I shoot to give my ****** 9mm the **** hair of extra muzzle energy it needs to equal a .45ACP. :quirky:quirky

Post imported post

better?
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Banned

Post imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
    better?
    I see your corny motivator, and raise you...

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    I lol'ed.

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va

Post imported post

diesel556 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    I lol'ed.
    That would be a b@$%$ to carry.like to see the holster for that
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

Post imported post

It certainly would be OPEN carry.
    It would also get around those pesky city ordinances that prohibit anything that propels a projectile by explosion or compressed air.

Post imported post

However, as a fellow over at Fark.com found out, your local HOA can prohibit you from building one in your back yard.

Post imported post

One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Post imported post

Yeah, but if your privacy fence is tall enough and back yard large enoughyou can build it in sub assembelies.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

I think that's what he did. That or build it somewhere else. He did however end up with a functioning trebuchet, and later a ballista. He's not real popular with his HOA.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Well another familiar and over rated topic. This chart might help in the discussion a lot more than a picture of a firearm.

Of course this is only part of the story. Terminal energy is nice, but the clock stopper is wound cavity. The frequently mentioned FBI study called Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectivness is also very useful as it tells the rest of the story. As that document is a LEO use only document I want to make it clear that I did not post it on the net, I just linked to it so you could read it for your self.

The upshot of all of the data was that a compromise of all the involved factors would require a .40 cal bullet traveling a little faster than a .45 ACP. If you look at that, the ballistics of a .40S&W and a .45 ACP are about the same in the most popular loadings.

But the fact is a .22 short will work if you use it right.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I don't think that old contraption is a catapult, people. Looks more like an ancient crane.

Post imported post

It's a free county (well, it used to be). Carry whatever you want. It's your funeral.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    I don't think that old contraption is a catapult, people. Looks more like an ancient crane.
    It's definitely a trebuchet (a type of catapult).

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The best way to settle this old argument is for 2 of you to duel it out. One carries a .45 and the other a 9mm. Walk 10 paces from each other , turn and fire. First one to go down loses this stupid argument.

Let me know how it goes.

Post imported post

Love to shoot the 1911 but for reasons of safety I - personally, I know lots of folks think cocked and locked carry of a 1911 is perfectly safe - wouldn't carry one. I forget who it is that makes the "Light Double Action" trigger variant but I haven't heard much about it and it has been around for awhile. My PPK/s (.380) and my P.38 (9mm) are reassuring companions, and as I have said the :what:factor (the BG's reaction when confronted ith an armed non-victim) in most cases before it is necessary to fire. However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.
    Can you link to an article/study on that or is that something you just heard?

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.
    I believe I learned that by way of reading a column written by the late Jeff Cooper. And If Colonel Cooper did not know what he was talking about, then I don't know who would.

Post imported post

Para Ordinance makes the LDA trigger system, as well as the double stack 1911 in 45. They also make 1911s in 9mm, for those wussies out there.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    eyesopened wrote:
    Alexcabbie wrote:
    I believe I learned that by way of reading a column written by the late Jeff Cooper. And If Colonel Cooper did not know what he was talking about, then I don't know who would.
    How horrid! I just tried briefly to check on '9 mm kills' by Col. Cooper and discovered that the archive, certainly the one I found, of his 'Commentaries' is hosted in the UK!!!!

Post imported post

I had a kid (19) the other day tell me that my 9mm was a "pea shooter" compaired to his .40.....atleast I can hit sh*t with mine!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast