• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Choice of caliber, .45 instead of 9mm

david.ross

imported post

191145acprg9.jpg

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_caliber
The Cavalry had fielded some double action revolvers in .38 Long Colt, and they determined that the .38 caliber round was significantly less effective against determined opponents, such as those encountered in the Moro Rebellion warriors they were fighting at the time of the Philippine-American war, than the .45 Colt. The current issue rifle at the time, the .30-40 Krag, also had failed to stop Moro warriors;[3] the British had similar issues switching to the .303 British, which resulted in the development of the Dum-dum bullet. This experience, and the Thompson-LaGarde Tests of 1904 led the Army and the Cavalry to decide that a minimum of .45 caliber was required in the replacement handgun.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Your linking skills fail. We already know that extra 5ft/lbs makes all the difference. :quirky I usually thrust my hands forward when I shoot to give my shitty 9mm the **** hair of extra muzzle energy it needs to equal a .45ACP. :quirky:quirky

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It certainly would be OPEN carry.
It would also get around those pesky city ordinances that prohibit anything that propels a projectile by explosion or compressed air.

FogRider

imported post

I think that's what he did. That or build it somewhere else. He did however end up with a functioning trebuchet, and later a ballista. He's not real popular with his HOA.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well another familiar and over rated topic. This chart might help in the discussion a lot more than a picture of a firearm.

Of course this is only part of the story. Terminal energy is nice, but the clock stopper is wound cavity. The frequently mentioned FBI study called Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectivness is also very useful as it tells the rest of the story. As that document is a LEO use only document I want to make it clear that I did not post it on the net, I just linked to it so you could read it for your self.

The upshot of all of the data was that a compromise of all the involved factors would require a .40 cal bullet traveling a little faster than a .45 ACP. If you look at that, the ballistics of a .40S&W and a .45 ACP are about the same in the most popular loadings.

But the fact is a .22 short will work if you use it right.

Regards

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The best way to settle this old argument is for 2 of you to duel it out. One carries a .45 and the other a 9mm. Walk 10 paces from each other , turn and fire. First one to go down loses this stupid argument.

Let me know how it goes.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Love to shoot the 1911 but for reasons of safety I - personally, I know lots of folks think cocked and locked carry of a 1911 is perfectly safe - wouldn't carry one. I forget who it is that makes the "Light Double Action" trigger variant but I haven't heard much about it and it has been around for awhile. My PPK/s (.380) and my P.38 (9mm) are reassuring companions, and as I have said the :what:factor (the BG's reaction when confronted ith an armed non-victim) in most cases before it is necessary to fire. However, when it comes down to kaboom, the 9mm Parabellum has killed more people than any other caliber in history. That's quite a resume'.