Thread: California and LEOSA

Post imported post

I plan on visiting California in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight.

Post imported post

If as you say the LEOSA only covers concealed carry, I believe you would be under the same restricitons concerning open carry as any other normal citizen. As such you should review the Open Carry Pamphlet and the Open Carry Flyer both located in the California Forum. You would be restricted to Unloaded Open Carry in incorporated cities or while in prohibited areas of unincorporated territory. You would also have to be on the watch for School Zones.

If you are intending to Open Carry as a political statement of support for our rights here in California, go for it, but study up first.

If you intention is to carry strictly for personal self defense, then I suggest you utilize the LEOSA provisions and carry loaded and concealed.

I am not a lawyer, and am unfamiliar with the intricacies of the LEOSA, but enjoy your trip and carry how you are most comfortable within the scope of the law.

Post imported post

California has CA CCW exemptions for 99% of all the situations that would make Loaded OC illegal. Off the top of my head they all expressly mention CA PC 12050 which is Californias CCW licensing section; so those exemptions wouldn't apply.

However, I do believe that there are peace officer exemptions for all of them as well.

Here is a link to the official internet access to CA Law: http://leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

I would recommend carefully examining the exemptions for PC 12031 (which carry of a loaded firearm) one of which is "Peace officers listed in Section 830.1 or 830.2, or
    subdivision (a) of Section 830.33, whether active or honorably retired, other duly appointed peace officers, honorably retired peace officers listed in subdivision (c) of Section 830.5"

"Gun free school zones" is a problem in CA for both Loaded and Unloaded OC. I would recommend carefully examining the exemptions in PC 626.9. The exemption for "When the person is exempt from the prohibition against carrying a concealed firearm pursuant to subdivision (b), (d), (e), or (h) of Section 12027." might apply to you.

Any other sticky areas anyone can think of?

Have a safe trip!

Post imported post

Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.

Post imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
    Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.

We appreciate your desire to support us with your open carry. But with the LEOSA option available, keep your honeymoon focused on you spouse. If you come back to recreate your honeymoon in a few years we hope to be able toprovide you with the free person's choiceof OC loaded. '09 will be an interesting year.

print out and carry this info on LEOSA http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html