• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alabama and LEOSA

Lame Wolf

imported post

I plan on visiting Alabama in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight

kurtmax_0

imported post

Shouldn't be a problem. A permit is required to carry a firearm concealed or not in a vehicle. I have no idea if LEOSA allows you to do this as the restriction isn't only on concealed carry.

I'd contact your department's attorney, or maybe call the Sheriff's department where you plan on visiting. I normally don't recommend asking police for legal advice but they might know more about the LEOSA.

david.ross

imported post

Consult your solicitor in your department, they should be well versed in LEOSA as many carry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Officers_Safety_Act

You may also want to know LEOSA covers CONCEALED CARRY, so legality of states where open carry requires a license may or may not be covered.

Also a snippet out of the wikipedia article,
However, there are two types of state laws that are not overridden by the federal law, these being "the laws of any State that (1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or (2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park." This does not mean that LEOSA-qualified persons are prohibited from carrying concealed firearms in such areas, but only that they must obey whatever state laws apply on those two points. They are free to disregard all other state and local laws that govern the carrying of concealed firearms.

I do recommend contacting your department solicitor, and if one isn't available at your department I'm sure a neighboring department would be glad to help you out in finding information.

Lame Wolf

imported post

Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.

Lame Wolf

imported post

I was in the Gainesville CH last week starting my Beloved's GFL. I received the utmost curtisy from the Sheriff's Staff. A very good experiance.