• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas and LEOSA

Lame Wolf

imported post

I plan on visiting Texas in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
I plan on visiting Texas in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight

I am not a lawyer. You should check out everything I'm about to say with one.

As open carry is highly restricted in Texas, you should very carefully research whether or not you would have legal authority to do so. A quick check of the Penal Code at 46.15 details the persons exempt from the general prohibition to carrying a weapon. The Code of Criminal Procedure at 2.12 delineates who are considered peace officers. Except for some special provisions for officers of adjoining states where cities cross the state line or come within 1 mile, there's no recognition of out of state officers as Texas peace officers.

If you are an agent of one of several agencies of the United States (such as the FBI,DEA, ATF,Secret Service, etc.), you may be considereda Special Investigator. Full details can be found at section 2.122 of the CCP. Theseagents have various levels of authority but it appears you could carry openly or concealed.

I think the short answer is that you cannot legally carry openly because you do not meet anyof the exemptions to the crime of Unlawful CarryingWeapons (see Penal Code 46.02).

Enjoy your stay in Texas and please talk to any local LEOs that you might come into contact with about signing the open carry petition and supporting open carry for all. As you probably already know, criminals don't open carry or even carry concealed legally. The present state of Texas law simply makes it harder for the law abiding citizen.

SA-TX

Lame Wolf

imported post

Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.