• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mother & Son Murdered in Dale City Home

ChinChin

imported post

The family attends the same Church as my in-laws and they were of course the subject of discussion this weekend.

The family opened their doors to most of the neighboorhood kids and the friends of their sons. It was the house most of the local kids hung out at and socialized. ALot of cars would be parked out front all the time; which is what I think may have led to something bad taking place.

Witha steady streamof teenage kids going in and leaving; I think the localelementgot the impression this was a drug house and went there to rob it. Once they discovered there were no drugs, no guns, no money or anything for them to rob, they killed the mother and son.

The lesson to be learned is to carry, even when you are at home and think you are as safe as possible.

It's odd no official motive has been determined yet.

eyesopened

imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
Very sad to hear that bad things happen to good people. :(

Less bad things happen to good people who are prepared forbad things to happen...IMHO.;)

RIP to the family....:(
I disagree respectfully. Bad things will continue to happen to those prepared or not. Those prepared arebetter able to react to the situation ;)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I was at a friend's house today and apparently his older brother knew the family. Very sad story and to hear that it was a 17 y/o guy that lived in the neighborhood that murdered them is just depressing. My prayers go out to the friends and family

Armed

imported post

Sad story indeed. I heard on the news they have a 17 year-old neighborhood kid in custody. Apparently, it was a burglery. According to the (radio) news report, the son was shot while apparently sleeping on the couch, and his mother was shot after she entered the home. Sounds like it was a solid middle-class neighborhood with very little trouble. Man... if that isn'tan arguement to be on your toes.... I don't know what is.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Another update:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79767&catid=158

DALE CITY, Va.-- (WUSA) A seventeen-year-old Dale City youth has been arrested on charges of murdering Jean Smith, 39, and her son James, 19, during a burglary at their home on Friday.
The name of the teen has not yet been released. However Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert told a press conference Monday morning that he will request that the teen be charged with capital murder as an adult at which time his name will be released.
Police say the suspect is a neighbor of the Smith's. He allegedly broke into the Smith residence not expecting anyone to be home. James Smith, however, was home from college and was asleep on a couch. Police say the suspect shot him to death then proceeded to commit a burglary. At some point Jean Smith arrived home, discovered her son fatally wounded, and then was shot to death herself by the suspect.
The juvenile's girlfriend, Jacqueline Munoz, 22, has been arrested on a charge of obstruction of justice. Police say she made false statements and allegedly made up an alibi for her boyfriend.

eyesopened

imported post

Apparently the suspect lives about 1 block from the victims home. I tend to stay armed in my house but disarm if I want to get real comfortable on the couch. And yes, I know "A firearm is suppose to be comforting, not comfortable" :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
snip.......The family opened their doors to most of the neighboorhood kids and the friends of their sons. It was the house most of the local kids hung out at and socialized. ALot of cars would be parked out front all the time; which is what I think may have led to something bad taking place.

Witha steady streamof teenage kids going in and leaving; I think the localelementgot the impression this was a drug house and went there to rob it. Once they discovered there were no drugs, no guns, no money or anything for them to rob, they killed the mother and son.
I really, really hate to see this type of supposition (guessing) take place.

More often than not, manufactured scenarios for real events are meanderings of someone's imagination. While we all want to know the "why" of such tragedies, I find is somewhat spurious to suggest that poor life style choices (or even the perception thereof) might have been somehow responsible this.

I preferred to wait for the facts. In this case it was justified.

My condolences to the family and friends of the victims.

Yata hey

nitrovic

imported post

Armed wrote:
Sad story indeed.  I heard on the news they have a 17 year-old neighborhood kid in custody.  Apparently, it was a burglery.  According to the (radio) news report, the son was shot while apparently sleeping on the couch, and his mother was shot after she entered the home.  Sounds like it was a solid middle-class neighborhood with very little trouble.  Man...  if that isn't an arguement to be on your toes....  I don't know what is. 

Good point. That neighborhood tends to go street by street as far as " higher crime areas", but yeah, the family is held in high regard in the community. I feel so bad for the father and remaining members. At least it happened in Mr. Ebert's jurisdiction. The CA's office in PWC is known to be one of the best in the state. I'm sure justice will be served.

nitrovic

imported post

BREAKING NEWS: Another charged in double murder

By URIAH A. KISER

Published: December 23, 2008

A 19-year-old has been charged in connection with the double murder case that rocked a Dale City community last week, bringing total number of people facing charges to three.

Prince William police have charged Jonathan Jake Jackson, 19, of 4733 Koester Drive in Dale City, with obstruction of justice, accessory after the fact and concealing physical evidence of a murder.

He has been held without bond and will appear in court on Feb. 10, 2009.

The arrest comes after police charged 17-year-old Xavier Pinckney on Monday with first degree murder, in the shooting deaths of Jean C. Smith, 39, and James “Jim” Smith, 19.

Pinckney’s girlfriend, 22-year-old Jacqueline was also charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly providing him an alibi, police said.

Police said Jean and Jim Smith were killed inside their Dale City home sometime on Friday afternoon.

Stay with InsideNoVA.com and News & Messenger for more on this breaking story.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.staffordcountysun.com/sc...other_charged_in_dale_city_murder_case/26773/

Published: December 23, 2008

WOODBRIDGE—A 19-year-old has been charged in connection with the double murder case that rocked a Dale City community last week, bringing total number of people facing charges to three.

Prince William police have charged Jonathan Jake Jackson, 19, of 4733 Koester Drive in Dale City, with obstruction of justice, accessory after the fact and concealing physical evidence of a murder.

He has been held without bond and will appear in court on Feb. 10, 2009.

The arrest comes after police charged 17-year-old Xavier Pinckney on Monday with first degree murder, in the shooting deaths of Jean C. Smith, 39, and James “Jim” Smith, 19.

Pinckney’s girlfriend, 22-year-old Jacqueline was also charged with obstruction of justice for allegedly providing him an alibi, police said.

Police said Jean and Jim Smith were killed inside their Dale City home sometime on Friday afternoon.

http://www.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/another_charged_in_double_murder/26767/

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]
2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty.
[/font]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

OK - it would have been a good thing had the mother been OCing when she came home. She might have had a chance to defend herself then.

I think that is the thrust of much of our frustration with this type of crime. The victims always seem to be unarmed and untrained - no chance to survive. We want so to convince more and more people to OC or CC, either but carry - give themselves a chance.

There is no safe place, no neighborhood too good.

Yata hey

hunter45

imported post

I got some inside information on what happened. My friend is a PW County police officer and he got to talk to a detective who was on the scene. He says the 17 year old entered the home to rob it, and then found a loaded gun inside the home (I'm not sure if he went in the home determined to steal the gun, or if he just happened to stumble across it). The burglar then found the son at home and told him to get on his knees. He then shot the son in the center of his forehead. The 17 year old then left the home. He left something behind (either his wallet or cell phone) so he returned to the home to retrieve it. He found the mother who had discovered her son's body and was crying. She got on the phone and called the police. The 17 year old then shot the mother in her left ear. So the mother and son were murdered by their own gun. What a terrible story..

nitrovic

imported post

I don't really like to play the game ,"I heard from him, he heard from the other guy that....". Unless you were there or talked to the homicide Detective yourself I would wait on the particulars of the story.