• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah and LEOSA

Lame Wolf

imported post

I plan on visiting Utah in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight

LovesHisXD45

imported post

You'll be fine. Just carry without one in the pipe if you decide to OC, as seeing how the law only applies to concealed carry.

Cheers,

Kevin

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
I plan on visiting Utah in June. I will be carrying under LEOSA credentials. DO any of you have any information concerning visiting LEOs carrying in this manner. I would like to open carry part of the time, but I realize that this particular law governs only concealed carry. Thank you for any insight
Are you currently employed as an LEO, or are you retired?

If retired, you must rely wholly on the LEOSA (or a concealed carry permit issued anywhere in the nation). I can't offer any help on that as I've just never had cause to research the details.

If, however, you are currently employed as an LEO then you can carry under Utah STATE law which may be far more permissive.

Utah laws governing the carrying of firearms are found primarily in 76-10-5xx <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/76_10.htm>.

76-10-523 <http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_052300.htm> contains this nugget:

[font="Arial,Helvetica"] 76-10-523. Persons exempt from weapons laws.
(1) This part and Title 53, Chapter 5, Part 7, Concealed Weapon Act, do not apply to any of the following:
(a) a United States marshal;
(b) a federal official required to carry a firearm;
(c) a peace officer of this or any other jurisdiction;
(d) a law enforcement official as defined and qualified under Section 53-5-711; (this applies only to Utah LEOs)

[/font][font="Arial,Helvetica"](2) The provisions of Subsections 76-10-504(1)(a), (1)(b), and Section 76-10-505 do not apply to any person to whom a permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued:
(a) pursuant to Section 53-5-704; or
(b) by another state or county. [/font]

So if you are a "peace officer...of any other jurisdiction" you are pretty much free to carry anywhere you like, including inside houses of worship that are otherwise off limits.

Again, if you are retired, you are fully under LEOSA and I can't offer much help there.

All the best, and enjoy your visit to Utah.

Charles

Lame Wolf

imported post

Thank you. I would be 'C', a Peace Officer of this or any other. In my case SC.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
Thank you. I would be 'C', a Peace Officer of this or any other. In my case SC.
Then in that case you should be covered by Utah 76-10-523 and be legal to OC or CC virtually anywhere in the State (other than federal off limit areas) without the need for a permit and without relying upon the LEOSA. Be sure to have your credentials with you.

And again, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advic. and so on and so forth.

In all seriousness, you might want to double check with Utah BCI at 801-965-4445 (0700 - 1800 Monday through Thursday, closed Friday through Sunday and legal holidays). They are really quite good to work with.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/

Enjoy your visit to Utah.

Charles

Lame Wolf

imported post

Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Lame Wolf wrote:
Thank you to each response. Just trying to plan a safe and enjoyable honeymoon.
arhghgghgh. Getting married aye? Make sure you get a prenump no matter how much you love each other. In about 7 to 10 years, or less, you will probably be wishing you had one. Just some friendly advice. :) If she really loves you, she'll do it.

Kevin