• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What can a non resident who owns property in NJ do????

1911CC

imported post

Hi,

Perhaps someone in this forum can enlighten me.

I am aFL resident andhave a FL CC permit. I know that permit means nothing in NJ, but I can't figureout the NJ rules.

I hear about a purchase permit and how you should have one with you when traveling with guns in NJ.

Iown a house in NJ. I own pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Do I need to have a piece of paper when I'm traveling from/to my NJ home to/from Florida or to a range in PA or hunting in PA?

Do i need to have a piece of paper to have these guns on my NJ premises?

I know I can't carry from my NJ home to some location like the NJ shore where it is clear that I'm not heading for Florida or a pistol range in PA.

I know I have to carry locked in a separate section of the car.

What else am I missing?

thanks in advance!!!!

press1280

imported post

I don't think you technically need a FID if your guns were purchased elsewhere and you're not a legal resident. I'd keep utility bills handy showing you do own property in NJ, just in case.

thejax

imported post

I agree but I would apply for an FID just incase. Don't apply for a carry permit because you will not get one. But if you have an FID, at least NJ will know you intend to have a firearm, which would always look better in the eyes of the law when getting pulled over while transporting or having them in your house.

Correct me if I am wrong.

eric55

imported post

thejax wrote:
I agree but I would apply for an FID just incase. Don't apply for a carry permit because you will not get one. But if you have an FID, at least NJ will know you intend to have a firearm, which would always look better in the eyes of the law when getting pulled over while transporting or having them in your house.

this is one thing i never understood how the F is a cop supposed to know you have a gun in the car if you dont tell him? people are always talking if you get pulled over this or if you get pulled over that. unless your an idiot and you tell the cop theres no way for him to know so chill out and carry what ever you want and learn to shutup and you'll be fine

Pyrodox

imported post

eric55 wrote:
thejax wrote:

this is one thing i never understood how the F is a cop supposed to know you have a gun in the car if you dont tell him? people are always talking if you get pulled over this or if you get pulled over that. unless your an idiot and you tell the cop theres no way for him to know so chill out and carry what ever you want and learn to shutup and you'll be fine
A lot of people are unwilling to deny a cop who asks to search their car. A lot of people don't think they are even allowed to deny a search.

I'm not anti-LEO but some bad apples can call a dog and have him signal there are drugs. Happened to a friend of mine, they found nothing in the car because there wasn't anything, but the LEO said the dog signaled and gave him probable cause.

As to the OP I'd say go through the motions, in this state there's only so much you can do and they will screw you over if they find any way possible to do so... But apply for an FID through the town you live at in NJ. Pistol Purchase Permits aren't required for pistols you already own, but to buy new ones in NJ they are.

Though I'd say go ahead and try to get an FID just to give you a little help should the need ever arise.

And NJ allows for transport of firearms that are legal by NJ law to and from the range, place of purchase, and your home, as long as you don't make any stops along the way and take the most direct route possible. If you're transporting a firearm in NJ, it has to be for a reason, and that reason CAN NOT be self-defense or just so you have a firearm handy.

Also, remember that the AWB is still active in NJ. We have our own. So anything with flash-hiders, bayonet lugs, retractable or telescoping stocks, threaded barrels, etc along with a removable mag and pistol grip... As well as any of the specific firearms enumerated in the NJ Statute, will get you in deep trouble. Also, no mags over 15 rounds for anything (not even fixed mags on .22 lever actions).

waapl01

CCW is tied to ur drivers license.

thejax wrote: this is one thing i never understood how the F is a cop supposed to know you have a gun in the car if you dont tell him? people are always talking if you get pulled over this or if you get pulled over that. unless your an idiot and you tell the cop theres no way for him to know so chill out and carry what ever you want and learn to shutup and you'll be fine

When u get a CCW permit it is tied to ur drivers license. when police run ur drivers license number it flags them that u are a CCW holder. Common sense and being respectful go a long way here. Just don't carry in nj, its bad juju, unfortunately. I moved and i'm loving my second amendment rights here in virginia.