• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"No Handguns Allowed" A new form of racism?

Urban Knight

imported post

I've OC'd in Fayettville NC for over a year now, and from time to time i'll see a "No Hanguns Allowed" posted on a store front. Now i can understand if it was like a Federal or State building, but does Food Lion and such really have to worry about us OCers? Kinda feels like descrimination if you ask me. What are peoples thoughts on the growing number of stores that won't let you carry?

6L6GC

imported post

I hardly think it's racial discrimination, it's freedom discrimination. Whites get hassled just as much and as often as blacks in this regard. The people putting up those signs are spineless panty-waists who would rather disrespect us (black AND white) than to tell the Brady Bunch and the rosie odonnel types to stick it where the sun don't shine. (That's "doesn't" shine for you English majors out there)

There's racial discrimination aplenty (from both sides) out there but the anti-self defense zones are hardly a manifestation of it.

david.ross

imported post

Talk to the manager why they want a sheep for slaughter zone, if he gives you a bs answer then talk to corp. Many corps have a policy based on state law.

Dom

imported post

I think you meant to say the signs are a new form of discrimination; I don't see what OC has to do with race.

I think the signs are there to make everyone "feel safe". Obviously a criminal is going to see those signs and turn around instead of robbing the Food Lion :banghead:.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Dom wrote:
I think you meant to say the signs are a new form of discrimination; I don't see what OC has to do with race.

I think the signs are there to make everyone "feel safe". Obviously a criminal is going to see those signs and turn around instead of robbing the Food Lion :banghead:.
Oh I don't know about that. There is constant trouble between my blued guns and my stainless guns...They bicker back and forth saying that one gets carried more than the other and the like. Just the other night I was awakened by a blued ones calling the stainless guns "chromies". Why can't they all just get along? :p

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Dom wrote:

I'll tell you what, I sure as hell don't feel safe when I see one of those signs.

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Businesses are all about money, so the signs are nothing more than Political Correctness run amuck. Get a handful of liberal, anti-gun pillow biters complaining to the management and they bend over backwards to appease them, even if it means alienating the pro-gun patrons. Why? Because us pro-gunners aren't nearly as vocalas the anti-gunners. I'm in Texas and can't open carry.....YET! But WHEN I can, I'll make sure any buisness that is anti-gun will not be patronized by me or my friends and family and the CEO will get a letter as to why.

Glenn

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Dom wrote:

Oh I don't know about that. There is constant trouble between my blued guns and my stainless guns...They bicker back and forth saying that one gets carried more than the other and the like. Just the other night I was awakened by a blued ones calling the stainless guns "chromies". Why can't they all just get along? :p

See, I have a similar problem, but what I don't get is that my stainless guns call each other "chromie" like it's kool, but if a blued gun calls one of them a "chromie", they throw a fit.

As far as the original post, I definitely do feel discriminated against when I see signs like that. The problem is, unlike your skin color, carrying is a choice. Granted, religion is a choice as well, anda sign that bannedall Muslims would most certainly cause issues.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I have no idea how any of you brought race into the discussion. The fact is that isolation of ANY group to be treated specially is Discrimination. In some cases people will be treated better, in others worse, but it is all discrimination. In this case it is wrong and it is dangerous.

IMHO, if people can sue a firearms manufacturer for damages when someone is shot, then people should be allowed to sue the sponsor of a "Criminal safety zone" if they are victimized in that zone. In my view the sponsor of such a zone assumes the responsibility for the safety of those inside the zone when (s)he creates it.

Regards

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Just a minor point, but "discrimination" as such is perfectly acceptable if there is a rational basis for it. For example, I have very poor eyesight, though it is correctable for nearly all purposes. Still, there is no way I could be a commercial pilot or LEO, regardless of any other qualifications I might have.

Discrimination? Yes. Unfair? Even I don't think so. I'm simply not qualified to do those things.

I do not think much of "No Handguns" signs or policies, but they aren't similar to racial discrimination. Firstly, it is nearly impossible to articulate a rational basis for racial discrimination. I believe the "rational basis" for barring handguns to be mistaken, but it can certainly be rationally articulated. Secondly, people can't leave their race at the door, nor otherwise change it. "No handguns" may be very ill-advised, but it's in the same category as "no shirt, no shoes, no service"; you can choose to comply with the conditions or not, depending on what's more important to you. Not so with race.

IANAL, and a Real Lawyer (tm) is welcome to speak up.

regards,

GR

Slayer of Paper

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hey let's see if we can pass some legislation to keep these businesses from exercising their right to dowhatever they damn well pleasewith their private property so we can exercise our right to carry a .500SW to yoga class. Things would be much more fair and constitutional that way.:quirky
I didn't see anyone saying anything about passing legislation. I guess you could stretch a couple of comments calling it "discrimination" as a call for legislation, it seems like a pretty far stretch to me, though.

Businesses are privately owned...well, they were before the bailout, anyway (that might be an interesting topic for discussion...). They are free to set whatever policies they wish, just as I am free to choose not to do business with them.

As far as carrying to yoga class- if I can't find a yoga class that allows the carry of firearms, I guess I won't be going to yoga class. Simple enough.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Hey let's see if we can pass some legislation to keep these businesses from exercising their right to dowhatever they damn well pleasewith their private property so we can exercise our right to carry a .500SW to yoga class. Things would be much more fair and constitutional that way.:quirky
do you support businesses banning blacks? mexicans? asians? homos? unwed teenage mothers?

there are federal laws forcing business open to the public to not discriminate against race/sex/sexual grossness/etc... do you think those laws should be repealed?

i certainly do as a libertarian.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Businesses are privately owned...well, they were before the bailout, anyway (that might be an interesting topic for discussion...). They are free to set whatever policies they wish, just as I am free to choose not to do business with them.
thats not true.

Alexcabbie

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I say let's ban the use of that damned infuriating blue smirky emoticcon and restrict emoticons to what's on the sidebar.

Devils Advocate

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

thats not true.
Yes, It IS true!!

Because you do not like it or want to believe it does not negate the fact that private businesses may make their own policies that are no in violation or any laws.

A business it not a racist because they place up a sign that says "No outside food" no more than "No firearms Permitted"

Discrimination against a person deals with something that the person cannot change. You cannotnot be black or Jewish. The sign is prohibiting something you would do.

If I ban people from laughing in my store is that also discrimination? I think not! I look rather dumb and the people have the choice to shop someplace else.