• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restraining orders and guns

jarhead1911A

imported post

So it looks like i will have to file a restraining order from some ass hat who keeps stalking my family, So my question is this. If i file it will it interfear with my gun carrying ability or buying one?

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Nope. If the other guy gets one against you (in retaliation -- it happens), then you may have difficulties purchasing except FTF. Isn't there a question about being under the provisions of a restraining order?

joeroket

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
Nope. If the other guy gets one against you (in retaliation -- it happens), then you may have difficulties purchasing except FTF. Isn't there a question about being under the provisions of a restraining order?
Temp restraining orders are not, unless asked by the person it was issued for, recorded by any law enforcement agency. The order and proof it was served must be given to an officer, unless it is recorded by that agency, before the LEO can act upon it.

Permanent orders are recorded but the person it is issued against has the ability to contest it in court before it is issued.

cynicist

imported post

If your have restraining order against someone, you can get an emergency CPL, if you don't already have one. This to me indicates that you are more than welcome in the eyes of the law to carry your guns.

As for the hot ass, it he keeps up, warn him (lawfully, or course) and if the problem continues, citizens' arrest him (make sure you follow the law,) and I'm sure you know the rest.

Mainsail

imported post

Your answer is on the back of the form. It says something about whether there was a finding by a judge and violence. I don't remember the details, butthere's more to it than just a restraining or no-contact order.

Cougar125

imported post

I don't believe that you having a restraining order against another person will affect your ability to carry. It will restrict theirs. The only way I could see it affecting your ability is if they file one against you.