Thread: Guns in apartments?

Post imported post

First things first, I'm new to OpenCarry.org, so hi! I'm a college student in the gun-hating Sonoma County.

I was browsing the forums and read something questioning the legality of having a loaded firearm in my own apartment. For the life of me I could not find the post a second time. Since the property is shared with other tenants, it was mentioned it can be considered a public space. The way I understood it is, I rent the structure but not the land, which provides legal complications with firearms. I have a feeling I read something wrong and it's completely legal or the poster was confused, but I wanted to run it by you folks for some feedback.

I guess to sum it up: can I legally have a loaded and concealed handgun in my apartment (where I am the sole occupant of my unit)?

And second, has anyone had any experience with OC in Sonoma or Napa county? I'd love to know what I'm in for!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Well, the way I understand it:

When I rent/lease an apartment that property remains mine for the term of my rental/lease agreement. I am allowed to carry and possess loaded IN my apartment, but once I walk outside the door I am no longer on "my" property and can not carry loaded or concealed without a CCW.

jwarren116 wrote:
    First things first, I'm new to OpenCarry.org, so hi! I'm a college student in the gun-hating Sonoma County.

I was browsing the forums and read something questioning the legality of having a loaded firearm in my own apartment. For the life of me I could not find the post a second time. Since the property is shared with other tenants, it was mentioned it can be considered a public space. The way I understood it is, I rent the structure but not the land, which provides legal complications with firearms. I have a feeling I read something wrong and it's completely legal or the poster was confused, but I wanted to run it by you folks for some feedback.

I guess to sum it up: can I legally have a loaded and concealed handgun in my apartment (where I am the sole occupant of my unit)?

And second, has anyone had any experience with OC in Sonoma or Napa county? I'd love to know what I'm in for!

Post imported post

is it defined where one's apartment ends and begins? is a private balcony outside my door that isn't shared by any other tenants still considered part of my property? or is it immediately considered a common area?

welcome, jwarren...

Post imported post

Thanks guys, that's what I assumed, but I wanted to double check.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I remember that thread; I think it was about loaded/concealed carry on 'private property.' The poster was asking about a common area between his living unit and storage unit or garage, I think.

As long as your apartment is not on campus, you should be in the clear.

Common areas are just like any other area open to the public. A good rule to keep in mind is: if they don't have to jump a fence (or balcany wall) or force entry (like breaking through a locked gate), then it is 'public.' This means no loaded open carry or concealed carry in your balcony/porch/yard unless it is fully enclosed and locked.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.