Thread: Off-Duty Cop Fends Off Would-Be Robbers

Post imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-no...,4519662.story

Off-duty cop fends off would-be robbers BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW |757-928-6479 VIRGINIA BEACH - Shots were fired by no one was injured on Sunday when two people attempted to rob an off-duty police officer.

Police spokesman Wayne Gilbert said that around 8:20 p.m., two people attempted a robbery at a TLC car wash at the intersection of Lynnhaven Parkway and Indian River Road. Gilbert said their intended victim was an off-duty police officer, who has not been identified.

Gilbert said shots were fired during a physical confrontation, but no one was hit and no one was transported to a hospital.

Two people are in custody.

The case remains under investigation.

Post imported post

Va Pilot is reporting on their web site the two perps were twins....but of course, they saved the typical for last....recommending not fighting back....yup, just give'em what they want...your money, your possessions, your self esteem, your body to cut, rape or your life....that's all VB Police say...just give'em what they want and maybe they'll go away and leave you alone, cowering....guess that's why so many of us have chosen not to be a victim.

If not VCDL, why not?

If not NRA, why not?

Armed wrote:
    http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-no...,4519662.story

Off-duty cop fends off would-be robbers BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW |757-928-6479 VIRGINIA BEACH - Shots were fired by no one was injured on Sunday when two people attempted to rob an off-duty police officer.

Police spokesman Wayne Gilbert said that around 8:20 p.m., two people attempted a robbery at a TLC car wash at the intersection of Lynnhaven Parkway and Indian River Road. Gilbert said their intended victim was an off-duty police officer, who has not been identified.

Gilbert said shots were fired during a physical confrontation, but no one was hit and no one was transported to a hospital.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    ........Gilbert said their intended victim was an off-duty police officer, who has not been identified.

Sounds to me like another officer in need of some shooting lessons for Christmas!

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

What the heck was he thinking? Everyone knows that the police are not here to protect individual citizens. Geeeez. He should have waited around a bit and then taken a statement from himself, investigatedand filed a report. End of story. :shock:To bad he did not hit what he aimed at although the story does not say who fired the shots. If it was the BGs, glad they did not hit what they aimed at. If the GG sfired the shots, he needs to practice some gun control here. I think the use of the other hand is warrented here and that is the maximum gun control allowed. Glad the GG was not hurt.

Post imported post

apollosmom wrote:
    Va Pilot is reporting on their web site the two perps were twins....but of course, they saved the typical for last....recommending not fighting back....
    Yes, I know. And I'm so sick of listening to that old diatribe. All anyone has to do is pay attention to the news to realize that "surrender" will not assure one's safety - it amazes me, that people still cling to that mentality.

[big sigh] :?

Post imported post

An off-duty cop is also known as a citizen. Can't tell from the story if the victim was targeted because he was an LEO, who all had and/or used a firearm or how they were apprehended. A somewhat worthless story as far as information goes. I wish we had more details and info to know more exactly how this all went down.

Without the further details we don't know if this is a case for True Tales of Self-Defense, an example of the downside of carry/drawing from CC, targeting because of OC, targeting because of LEO, or any combination or something else entirely. Hopefully an update will be posted to the paper and will get posted here.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

I heard an update on this.

Sounded as if the off-duty was unarmed, but confronted by armed perps. Initially he complied, but a struggle ensued and the LEO gained control of the perps weapon, firing the shots. May not be in need of shooting lessons, could have been a legitimate reason for the missed target.

Post imported post

IrRelevant wrote:
    ........the LEO gained control of the perps weapon, firing the shots. May not be in need of shooting lessons, could have been a legitimate reason for the missed target.
    While I understand what you are saying, I still have to disagree.

If he could figure out in the heat of the moment, how to fire the gun, he should have been able to fire it accurately. When you know how to shoot, you dont lose your stance, grip, sight alignment, etc because you are firing a different gun. I often go to the range with students and try their guns and my abilities remain.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

Valid point,I agree.

Post imported post

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-twins.d23,0,2224481.story
    18-year-old twins arrested after incident with officer
    BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW | 757-928-6479
    8:28 AM EST, December 23, 2008

Twin brothers Diante Williams and Giovanti Williams, 18, of Virginia Beach have both been charged in a robbery of an off-duty police officer at a TLC Car Wash on Lynnhaven Parkway in Virginia Beach on Dec. 21. Both are charged with armed robbery, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and conspiracy to commit robbery. (Courtesy of Virginia Beach police / December 23, 2008)

VIRGINIA BEACH - A pair of 18-year-old twin brothers were arrested yesterday and charged with attempting to rob an off-duty police officer at a Virginia Beach car wash.

Diante and Giovanti Williams, both of Virginia Beach, are charged with armed robbery, as well as weapons and conspiracy charges. Both are being held in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center.

Police spokesman Adam Bernstein said that on Sunday night, Diante Williams attempted to rob a man who was washing a car at the TLC Car Wash on Lynnhaven Parkway. The man, an off-duty police officer, engaged him in a physical struggle and gained control of Williams' gun, Bernstein said. A shot was fired, but no one was hit.

While they struggled, another man arrived and attempted to aid the robber. The two men fled the scene, but the off-duty officer apprehended Diante Williams in a nearby parking lot. The second suspect, later identified as Giovanti Williams, was arrested a short time later at his residence on Lola Drive.

Post imported post

Hahahaha!! Look at those shiners!

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    While they struggled, another man arrived and attempted to aid the robber. ...
    Wow.. What kind of crap is that? I hope the OP was simply confused about who the bad guy was...

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Armed wrote:
    While they struggled, another man arrived and attempted to aid the robber. ...
    Wow.. What kind of crap is that? I hope the OP was simply confused about who the bad guy was...
    The "other man" was apparently the robber's brother according to the story.

Sounds like maybe the firearm was discharged during the struggle rather than having been an aimed shot.

I'll give props to the victim for going hands on with an armed robber who had the drop on him.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

All the NYPDcops I really knew well had no interest in becoming expert shooters. They went the range once a year to qualify with their service weapon and off-duty piecebecause they were requiredto and some found ways to even avoid that. They were more interested in "collars for dollars", OT, or finding a"hook" or a "crane" to get them into a detailora spot which would yielda detective shield.Sad but true.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    IrRelevant wrote:
    ........the LEO gained control of the perps weapon, firing the shots. May not be in need of shooting lessons, could have been a legitimate reason for the missed target.

If he could figure out in the heat of the moment, how to fire the gun, he should have been able to fire it accurately. When you know how to shoot, you dont lose your stance, grip, sight alignment, etc because you are firing a different gun. I often go to the range with students and try their guns and my abilities remain.
    If it's during a struggle for the gun though, it could have simply gone off.

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    IrRelevant wrote:

Exactly what "stance" do you take when you are grappling with two thugs trying to get control of a gun from one of them?

"Stance" is for when you have your own firearm and the time and opportunity to actually take a stance.

If you are in a gun fight and take a "stance" you are not moving quickly enough and you are not using adequate cover,you are making yourself a target.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    Exactly what "stance" do you take when you are grappling with two thugs trying to get control of a gun from one of them?

"Stance" is for when you have your own firearm and the time and opportunity to actually take a stance.

If you are in a gun fight and take a "stance" you are not moving quickly enough and you are not using adequate cover,you are making yourself a target.
    The same stance that you should use every day. Its called an interview stance. Its not a position that you take - its a position that you maintain.....
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:
    Exactly what "stance" do you take when you are grappling with two thugs trying to get control of a gun from one of them?*

If you are in a gun fight and take a "stance" you are not moving quickly enough and you are not using adequate cover,*you are making yourself a target.
    The same stance that you should use every day. Its called an interview stance. Its not a position that you take - its a position that you maintain.....
    Dang, I haven't heard the "interview stance" in a while. Brings back academy memories. How did you know about that?

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    Dang, I haven't heard the "interview stance" in a while. Brings back academy memories. How did you know about that?
    It came with the badge......package deal
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    nitrovic wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    It came with the badge......package deal

, wow, it's nice to see another person here who is/was an actual COP!!! That interview stance was one of the most annoying things. They made us stand like that for the whole 6 months of the academy.

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    , wow, it's nice to see another person here who is/was an actual COP!!!

Nah, I wasn't an "actual cop". I was one of those "court room Sheriff's", to use your terminology......not a real street cop.

We just happened to be taught those same law enforcement skillsthat you real street cops were taught. Ya know, in case we might have to enforce a law or 2 in a court room, since you know, the Sheriff is the CLEO and his Deputies have greater authority statewide than police officers, and all that good stuff....

James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Decoligny wrote:

The interview stance is supposed to help prevent someone from successfully attacking you. If it fails, and you are actually in a grapple, then there is no more "interview stance", there is only the attempt to win the grappleand the fighting for control of the weapon. If you are successful in taking control of the weapon, you can then take a stance again. But if the thug has his hands on the gun and you have yours on the gun, it could easily go bang in any direction.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    The interview stance is supposed to help prevent someone from successfully attacking you. If it fails, and you are actually in a grapple, then there is no more "interview stance", there is only the attempt to win the grappleand the fighting for control of the weapon.
    If you use the interview stance correctly, there is nofailure. If you are in a grapple, you didnt do the interview stance correctly.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    ...SNIP
    If you use the interview stance correctly, there is nofailure. If you are in a grapple, you didnt do the interview stance correctly.
    Normally I would agree, but in this instance the Officer was attempting to arm himself with a weapon that was already in control of the bad guy. This is not an anticipated event under normal circumstances the Officer would be trying to defend his retention of his own weapon.

It is very clear to me why he might have to break normal routine under these circumstances.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Normally I would agree, but in this instance the Officer was attempting to arm himself with a weapon that was already in control of the bad guy. This is not an anticipated event under normal circumstances the Officer would be trying to defend his retention of his own weapon.

It is very clear to me why he might have to break normal routine under these circumstances.

Regards
    A freakin' gutsy move on his part no matter. The BGs look pretty young and fairly inexperienced looking. Perhaps that and their body language let the cop know he could have a go at it and succeed.