• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-Duty Cop Fends Off Would-Be Robbers

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nitrovic wrote:
:lol:, wow, it's nice to see another person here who is/was an actual COP!!!

Nah, I wasn't an "actual cop". I was one of those "court room Sheriff's", to use your terminology......not a real street cop.

We just happened to be taught those same law enforcement skillsthat you real street cops were taught. Ya know, in case we might have to enforce a law or 2 in a court room, since you know, the Sheriff is the CLEO and his Deputies have greater authority statewide than police officers, and all that good stuff....

:)

Decoligny

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Decoligny wrote:
Exactly what "stance" do you take when you are grappling with two thugs trying to get control of a gun from one of them?

"Stance" is for when you have your own firearm and the time and opportunity to actually take a stance.

If you are in a gun fight and take a "stance" you are not moving quickly enough and you are not using adequate cover,you are making yourself a target.
The same stance that you should use every day. Its called an interview stance. Its not a position that you take - its a position that you maintain.....
The interview stance is supposed to help prevent someone from successfully attacking you. If it fails, and you are actually in a grapple, then there is no more "interview stance", there is only the attempt to win the grappleand the fighting for control of the weapon. If you are successful in taking control of the weapon, you can then take a stance again. But if the thug has his hands on the gun and you have yours on the gun, it could easily go bang in any direction.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Decoligny wrote:
The interview stance is supposed to help prevent someone from successfully attacking you. If it fails, and you are actually in a grapple, then there is no more "interview stance", there is only the attempt to win the grappleand the fighting for control of the weapon.
If you use the interview stance correctly, there is nofailure. If you are in a grapple, you didnt do the interview stance correctly.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
...SNIP
If you use the interview stance correctly, there is nofailure. If you are in a grapple, you didnt do the interview stance correctly.

Normally I would agree, but in this instance the Officer was attempting to arm himself with a weapon that was already in control of the bad guy. This is not an anticipated event under normal circumstances the Officer would be trying to defend his retention of his own weapon.

It is very clear to me why he might have to break normal routine under these circumstances.

Regards

Neplusultra

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
...SNIP

Normally I would agree, but in this instance the Officer was attempting to arm himself with a weapon that was already in control of the bad guy. This is not an anticipated event under normal circumstances the Officer would be trying to defend his retention of his own weapon.

It is very clear to me why he might have to break normal routine under these circumstances.

Regards
A freakin' gutsy move on his part no matter. The BGs look pretty young and fairly inexperienced looking. Perhaps that and their body language let the cop know he could have a go at it and succeed.