• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off-duty cop fends off would-be robbers

HardChrome

imported post

I'm curious as to why he didn't hit either one of them.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-now-vbshooting.d22,0,4519662.story

Off-duty cop fends off would-be robbers BY MIKE HOLTZCLAW |757-928-64795:46 AM EST, December 22, 2008 VIRGINIA BEACH - Shots were fired by no one was injured on Sunday when two people attempted to rob an off-duty police officer.

Police spokesman Wayne Gilbert said that around 8:20 p.m., two people attempted a robbery at a TLC car wash at the intersection of Lynnhaven Parkway and Indian River Road. Gilbert said their intended victim was an off-duty police officer, who has not been identified.

Gilbert said shots were fired during a physical confrontation, but no one was hit and no one was transported to a hospital.

Two people are in custody.
The case remains under investigation.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
I'm curious as to why he didn't hit either one of them.
I have a theory about that.

I believe that due to the hazardous nature of police work, police officers train with a different mindset than other civilians at the gun range. Also according to my theory, LEO's mayhave a lower threshold for use of deadly force than other LACs owing to the inherent risks of their job.

Humans have a natural aversion to harming or killing others. Leos have imparted more mentalenergy to overcoming that barrier than other LACs. Consequently, LEOs shoot sooner and more thanother LACs in defensive situations. The end result is a higher percentage of missed shots as compared to civilian defensive shootings.

This theory may be completely off base. Why this man didn't hit either of the two threats would be a guess on my part. Glad he's OK.

I used to live near Indian River Road and Little Road, on Lake Christopher.

Leader

imported post

My question is... Why didn't he follow the advice that the police give EVERYBODY and just give them what they wanted & call 911?

I would imagine he is in trouble with his department for not setting a good example to the public.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Leader wrote:
My question is... Why didn't he follow the advice that the police give EVERYBODY and just give them what they wanted & call 911?

I would imagine he is in trouble with his department for not setting a good example to the public.
:celebrate Love it!!! Don't know why those wimps carry guns at all. They should practice what they preach.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt I would have missed. For one thing, I have to actually account for every round I fire. "Spray and pray" is not an option for any of us.

Just where did his missed rounds wind up? Every bullet fired hits SOMETHING.

MetalChris

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
As always, this has turned into a police bashing thread based on little to no facts. The police officer was in a struggle with the robbers (who had a gun). During the struggle the gun went off. This was already posted. Stop the ignorant bashing.

If this didn't involve a police officer the responses would be ,"way to go!!". Instead, it turns to the above bashing. Unreal.
I see no bashing. I see people joking around.

nitrovic

imported post

The below words were made by you "MetalChris". You are a horrible person and exactly the type of poster that these threads bring. They start out with truths and then get hijacked by the police haters. Happens everytime. Go away.

MetalChris wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Please do not misunderstand me; I am not bashing the police. They are working within a system that politicians set up and that needs desperately to be changed before more innocent lives are lost.
IIRC, the cops obtained this search warrant by lying to the judge. These cops need to be bashed (or shot...oh wait that already happened to one of the scumbags. Oh well.)

MetalChris

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
The below words were made by you "MetalChris". You are a horrible person and exactly the type of poster that these threads bring. They start out with truths and then get hijacked by the police haters. Happens everytime. Go away.

MetalChris wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
Please do not misunderstand me; I am not bashing the police. They are working within a system that politicians set up and that needs desperately to be changed before more innocent lives are lost.
IIRC, the cops obtained this search warrant by lying to the judge. These cops need to be bashed (or shot...oh wait that already happened to one of the scumbags. Oh well.)
Deleted because I am superior in every way to Nitrovicky

KansasMustang

imported post

Okay, boil it down to the facts? here. A LAC would have hit the target 11% of the time more than the LEO? or at least at a higher percentage than the LEO. Thinkin here that had the LEO not felt restricted we'd have two dead perps removed from society

compmanio365

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
As always, this has turned into a police bashing thread based on little to no facts. The police officer was in a struggle with the robbers (who had a gun). During the struggle the gun went off. This was already posted. Stop the ignorant bashing.

If this didn't involve a police officer the responses would be ,"way to go!!". Instead, it turns to the above bashing. Unreal.

I don't see any bashing, I see a joke based on the fact that we hear all the time from police chiefs and such that no citizen should ever attempt to defend themselves, just dial 911 and let the "experts" handle it. I do, however, see a troll that continues to plague the forum with his BS and cries of "LEO bashing! LEO bashing! Mooommmmyy!" If there were posts such as, "The pig got what he deserved", then yes, I'd say it was LEO bashing and completely unnecessary. But that's not what was posted, and the joke in question wasn't even about the involved off duty LEO.

Every time anything to do with an LEO comes up on this forum, you claim it is LEO bashing......if you are that sensitive, it is a wonder how you ever passed the psych exam to become an LEO in the first place. If THAT is even true.

Needless to say, I and others are tired of hearing you and several other trolls on this forum, destroying every thread you come across. It's high time you left. If not on your own, then one of the admins needs to show you the door and let it hit you on the ass on the way out.

MetalChris

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
It's high time you left. If not on your own, then one of the admins needs to show you the door and let it hit you on the ass on the way out.
I takes too much to earn a ban on this site. Remember how long it took Dukey to get banned?

nofoa

imported post

I hope the two criminals reflect on the likelyhood they could have died. It would be best if they are caught, punished, and mend their ways.

r6-rider

imported post

lol you guys crack me up. where i came from (CA) cops were how most portray them (corrupt, stupid, tell you to bend over and take it while dialing 911 at the same time) but down here in Arizona iv had 3 cops, all at different times, tell me they are glad to see more people carrying because 1. it makes their job easier 2. they cant be everywhere all the time 3. lowers the crime rate

i gladly wrote their department telling them how good of a job those officers were doing and how professional they were

UtahRSO

imported post

OK, I admit it. I don't know what a "LAC" is. Someone enlighten me?

This is probably hi-jacking the original idea of this thread, but I'd like to put my two cents in about LEO's. I get upset reading about LEO's who go beyond their authority. I have a retired LEO friend who says he's known some LEO's who seem to like bullying people, but he says he had to get along with them because he relied on them to back him up in scary situations. But he didn't like guys like that.

I've known quite a few LEO's in my life, more in the last few years than ever before.

I meet them now because they come and shoot where I'm a range safety officer.
And WOW can they SHOOT!

Over the years, some have been pretty close friends. My experience is that the vast majority of LEO's are really good people, at least in my neck of the woods, far better than you'd find in a cross-section of the general population. But I've met a very few who seem to enjoy confrontation, even in a setting where we're all there just to shoot and have fun. I don't like them a-tall, a-tall. Just like any other group, you're probably going to find a few bad apples in the box.

I can stomp and growl when reading some of the posts about those kind, but I surely can't condemn the whole box.