Thread: Michigan handgun Registration after January 2008

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Here is the link to the changes in handgun registration. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(1ky...d&query=on

A question came up at our coffee get-together on the 21st. Someone stated he thought that the loaning of a legal handgun to a CPL holderwill change...that is, will no longerbe allowed after January. I had not heard of this happening and don't think it will. Does anyone have any information in this regard?

edit; should be January 2009, sorry.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I had already read over the amended section when I saw your post, Venator. One section which grabbed my attention was in section (6):

The licensee may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the license.

I think thissection coversthe possibility of the pistol not being entered into the MSP database during this time. My thought is that - although the text only refers to licensee carry - a CPL holder who borrows such a pistol should probably have the license copy while borrowing it. This might be treading on thin ice though.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Like I said yesterday, several times, over and over. I wasn't sure what the change was. I never said it wouln't be allowed after Jan 7th. Words mean things:P

Hcidem, that was it!

According to that little tidbit, it would seem that you shouldn't borrow a gun from someone during the first 30 days.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Like I said yesterday, several times, over and over. I wasn't sure what the change was. I never said it wouln't be allowed after Jan 7th. Words mean things:P

Hcidem, that was it!

According to that little tidbit, it would seem that you shouldn't borrow a gun from someone during the first 30 days.
    I didn't mention any names and I forgot that you commented on that, I was referring to another gentleman, but thanks for reminding me.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

to another gentleman
    Are you infering that I'm a gentleman? Boy you got some nerve.

Most refer to me as the (ock!

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    to another gentleman
    Are you infering that I'm a gentleman? Boy you got some nerve.

Most refer to me as the (ock!
    Yes. You have not shown me otherwise.

Post imported post

I'll get you for that, and your little dog too.

Post imported post

I did a little deeper looking. Here are the details.

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
    Act 372 of 1927 ***** 28.422.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009 *****

28.422.amended License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.
    Sec. 2.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.
    (2) A person who brings a pistol into this state who is on leave from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or who has been discharged from active duty with the armed forces of the United States shall obtain a license for the pistol within 30 days after his or her arrival in this state. 'SNIP

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
    Act 372 of 1927 ***** 28.432.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009 *****

28.432.amended Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; citation as “Janet Kukuk act”.
    Sec. 12.
    (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
    (b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.
    (c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
    (d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
    (e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
    (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state. 'SNIP

The bold clearly states that a CPL holder is still able to borrow and carry a Michigan registered handgun.

Read the entire act at

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(au2vdj55l1erlxvezdc3pgjj))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Act-372-of-1927

Several sections of this act are being amended, but it looks like the only thing it does is change the registration method.

"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Don't worry Venator: He wears glasses and can't shoot worth a whiff! :P

Post imported post

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
    Act 372 of 1927 ***** 28.432.amended THIS AMENDED SECTION IS EFFECTIVE JANUARY 7, 2009 *****

Sec. 12.
    (a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.
    (c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
    (d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.
    (e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.
    (f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state. 'SNIP

Did they forget the Coast Guard? see line B
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

LaVere wrote:
    FIREARMS (EXCERPT)

Sec. 12.

Did they forget the Coast Guard? see line B
    sortanotreally
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.