• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whatever happened to LEO 229?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
...SNIP

I actually see it exactly the opposite from the way you do.

While I frequently disagree with what NitroVic says, off the top of my head, I can't think of anything he's said which was either offensive or dishonest. That's not something I can say about LEO229. The top of his hit parade was making light of the murder of an unarmed man by a Chicago police officer. No matter what else you say about NitroVic, I can't say he's done anything like that. He has a point of view that I frequently can't agree with. He has a point of view frequently not informed by life in the big city. I think he often has a naive point of view. I don't think it's an EVIL point of view.

As I said somewhere in the over 6,000 posts LEO229 put up there are bound to be a few "clinkers". But what you describe is not the issue I have here. Rather than pollute yet another thread with this please feel free to go this thread to see what I am talking about.

Regards

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

DrMark wrote:
LOL - that was a reference to SwatPro, not you. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

aww darn, just when I thought I was finally being included in something! :)

You wouldnt have been the first to call me an "a55hole former cop" on this forum. Iguess I just jumped the gun and thought that you were refering to me, et al.

Mea culpa

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think LEO229 made lots of good posts. I didn't always agree with him certainly and I was concerned at times that by his own admission he didn't read threads or posts completely before ripping off a post in reply and I think that was most often where and when he got sideways with other members.

It can be easy to get dragged into the something with someone on a forum sometimes if they hit the right buttons. I have been fortunate for the most part to 1) usually be able to step back and remember it is the internet and 2) when I can't to have had the good fortune of a few wise members of OCDO who cared enough to jump in and point out to me that I was letting myself get sucked into a pointless or stupid argument and finally 3) the self-control to stop, think about the good advice I was getting and let it go.

I think citizen said it well a few posts up.

suntzu

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
DrMark wrote:
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Whenever the antics of NitroHankSwatPro229 subside for a bit, the site is better off.

So you do not like alternate points of view?

Ya, it is always better when EVERYONE sings the same tune. Even if we are all off key we will never know since we all think our singing sounds great!

It is not a bad idea to have someone tell us honestly what they think.

If we are all doing and thinking things the same then NONE OF US can be wrong, right?

How dare you nitrovic! How dare you provide alternative ways of seeing things here.

Can't you see that we do not want to see things in any other way than how we want to see them?!

We do not care if they are right or wrong. We have decided that this is OUR decision and stand by it. When you point out the flaws in those decisions you make us all look like fools when you are right.

Thisplace is better off without people like you creating controversy.

SWARM, SWARM, SWARM!!!!!

EDIT: Spelling

No, they HATE different views. I've already seen them gang up on you as well. Leo229 was informative and actually a very nice guy. He just got sick of it. I don't blame him one bit. The only thing you are supposed to say is "yes, the police are horrible. SS nazi's, pigs, etc." Then you are supposed to make up a "story" in your past that nobody can prove. Of course this "story" has to have a "bad cop" in it. The new tactic is to say you were a police officer, so then the current police officers will believe your views. It ever helps if you throw in how you have sued numerous "other officers" and other internet sites so others will be afraid to disagree with you.
Different points of view are fine--as long as you are willing to accept different view points--but when you have something that is unpopular to say-some people don't like it.

The problem is--those who consider themselves "pro police" will almost absolutely refuse to accept the views of anyone to the contrary--and those who are opposed to the police will not accept viewpoints contrary to their established beliefs...it is human nature.

I don't accept something as the gospel truth merely because it comes from the mouth of a leo. If they are wrong, they are wrong--pure and simple--they may not like it, but that changes nothing.

But I digress---we should be able to accept differnet viewpoints, disagree respectfully and move on and if and when we see that a discussion will go nowhere--more on and let it go and quit kicking a dead horse...

BUT I actually was thinking about LEO229 the other day when reading through the posts--we could disagree respectfully, and actually speak civilly in this forum--and for that, I respect him, even if I have never met him.

nova

imported post

I don't blame LEO229 for leaving. There sure are a lot of jackasses on this forum who don't want to hear any opinions other than their own. LEO229 is a good man who provided a different prospective. Remember though that he is (or at least was until the shtf in general discussion) pro-OC.

Just as what happens with our opinion of LEOs, in that a few bad apples spoil the bunch, the same thing happened with LEO229. A few arrogant pricks who didn't want to hear an opposing view spoiled the whole forum for 229 because he couldn't post anywhere without a certain few following his every move.

For those members who don't like discussing topics related to open carry and hearing both sides (remember we're all pro-OC here) then you're in the wrong place. Look at the top of the page below all those happy OCers. What's that say?

OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Deanimator

imported post

nova wrote:
I don't blame LEO229 for leaving. There sure are a lot of jackasses on this forum who don't want to hear any opinions other than their own. LEO229 is a good man who provided a different prospective.
I don't blame him for leaving either. When you're dishonest, you don't like having that DOCUMENTED, and the person documenting it won't stop, what else CAN you do? LEO229 wants to speak, but he wants to do so without contradiction. No sale.

You could define "good man" in a lot of ways... none of which include making light of a police murder of an unarmed man.

There are a certain percentage of police officers who want to be a class above the rest of us, not subject to the laws which they are allegedly sworn to enforce. LEO229 is an example.

nova

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
There are a certain percentage of police officers who want to be a class above the rest of us, not subject to the laws which they are allegedly sworn to enforce. LEO229 is an example.
Having spoke to LEO229 in person, I don't know where you got that idea.

AbNo

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
LEO229 can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned... he just can't say it without contradiction. That seems not to be his cup of tea...
Commentary like this actually.

Short version: He got tired of being jumped all over by people with an anti-LEO (no pun intended) agenda, and he has decided to no longer post here.

At least, that's what he said when I sent him a PM a while back. :(

nova wrote:
I don't blame LEO229 for leaving. There sure are a lot of jackasses on this forum who don't want to hear any opinions other than their own. LEO229 is a good man who provided a different prospective. Remember though that he is (or at least was until the shtf in general discussion) pro-OC.

Just as what happens with our opinion of LEOs, in that a few bad apples spoil the bunch, the same thing happened with LEO229. A few arrogant pricks who didn't want to hear an opposing view spoiled the whole forum for 229 because he couldn't post anywhere without a certain few following his every move.

For those members who don't like discussing topics related to open carry and hearing both sides (remember we're all pro-OC here) then you're in the wrong place. Look at the top of the page below all those happy OCers. What's that say?
Well said, sadly enough.

nitrovic

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
nova wrote:
I don't blame LEO229 for leaving. There sure are a lot of jackasses on this forum who don't want to hear any opinions other than their own. LEO229 is a good man who provided a different prospective.
I don't blame him for leaving either.  When you're dishonest, you don't like having that DOCUMENTED, and the person documenting it won't stop, what else CAN you do?  LEO229 wants to speak, but he wants to do so without contradiction.  No sale.

You could define "good man" in a lot of ways... none of which include making light of a police murder of an unarmed man.

There are a certain percentage of police officers who want to be a class above the rest of us, not subject to the laws which they are allegedly sworn to enforce.  LEO229 is an example.

The above is a prime example of why Leo left. Look at his post history. Go alllll the way back to his first couple posts. He tried to say ,"hey guys, if you want an actual LEO's perspective, ask away", and he got jumped on from the beginning. The police haters never left him alone. It got ten times worse when he was a mod. They followed every post and decision he made in an effort to sabotage him. It worked.

Deanimator

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Deanimator wrote:
nova wrote:
I don't blame him for leaving either. When you're dishonest, you don't like having that DOCUMENTED, and the person documenting it won't stop, what else CAN you do? LEO229 wants to speak, but he wants to do so without contradiction. No sale.

The above is a prime example of why Leo left. Look at his post history. Go alllll the way back to his first couple posts. He tried to say ,"hey guys, if you want an actual LEO's perspective, ask away", and he got jumped on from the beginning. The police haters never left him alone. It got ten times worse when he was a mod. They followed every post and decision he made in an effort to sabotage him. It worked.
He left because he didn't want to be accountable for what he said. He made light of the murder of an unarmed man by a cop. Apparently murder amuses him. I have every right to "jump on" somebody who does that.

He made a habit of lying about what other people said, even while directly quoting it.

He reminds me of the Chicago cops who post to SecondCityCop and the newspaper websites to attack the barmaid who got stomped. Of course some of them think that the murder of Michael Pleasance was a real knee slapper too.

The only person who "sabotaged" LEO229 was LEO229.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Deanimator wrote:
He left because he didn't want to be accountable for what he said. He made light of the murder of an unarmed man by a cop. Apparently murder amuses him. I have every right to "jump on" somebody who does that.

He made a habit of lying about what other people said, even while directly quoting it.

He reminds me of the Chicago cops who post to SecondCityCop and the newspaper websites to attack the barmaid who got stomped. Of course some of them think that the murder of Michael Pleasance was a real knee slapper too.

This is as I recall.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Deanimator wrote:

I am new here so can you provide a link to this post?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
I am new here so can you provide a link to this post?
I suggest he not.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty.
[/font]
+1

The search function is a better option, as it doed not cause the entire thing to flair all over again.