• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pepper spray selection

Chaingun81

imported post

First of all, sorry for a non-OC and even non-firearm related question, but since we talkself-defense here i thought it wouldn't be too offtopic. I often have to go a lot of places and regions where i cannot go armed with a gun, so i was researching some less restricted means of self defense. Taser seems very restricted as well, knife is ok but i hardly imagine myself winning a knife fight. Pepper spray seems the least restricted item out of all and even if taken somewhere where it's illegal, would less likely to causeserioslegal problems. Anyway, the question is what brand/model of pepper spray/mace is the best on the market? Any input is welcome, especially from anyone with LEO experience who normally get to spray a guy or 2 a year. Thanks!

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

For pepper spray I carry a 2oz can (bigger than the keychain sizes but still much smaller than the "bear mace" sized cans). I originally started carrying it for defense from dogs (I used to be a delivery driver) but also figure I could use it in a defense situation before lethal force becomes necessary.

As far as which brand or whatever is better I have no opinions.

I bought mine from http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/ and they have quite the selection of pepper spray products and the prices seem reasonable enough. I haven't done any comparison shopping however.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I carry the 2 oz. Fox 5.3 SHU. It does not exceed2% OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), therefore, legalin Michigan for non-leos.

http://www.defensedevices.com/aboutfoxlabs.html

Oleoresin Capsicum link:http://www.zarc.com/english/cap-stun/tech_info/oc/

Oleoresin CapsicumVids:VIDEOS

ETA: Per MSP

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]1. In Michigan, can I carry a self-defense spray in my car or on my person for protection?[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224d[/font] Yes, but only if it is either:[/font]

• [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients (CS gas); or[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]A solution containing not more than 2% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used in the protection of your person or property which would justify the use of physical force. It cannot be sold to a minor.[/font]

TheMrMitch

imported post

I used to have some stuff called "Chemical Shield" and don't remember what it really was (25 plus years ago). It only took one drop touching near the eye and no fight left. One spray would clear a normal room.:shock:

Anybody know of this? It worked!

Evil Ernie

imported post

I've been thinking of getting the wife something like this. She hasn't committed fully to the whole OC/CCW thing (we're working on it tho). Until then, I want her to have the means to protect herself in some manner.

Flintlock

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I really don't have a preference of one over another. But I would look for a spray that also had a 'marker dye' in it. Will make it easier for LE to identify the perp when you spray him and call 911 first to report being attacked.

danbus

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
I carry the 2 oz. Fox 5.3 SHU. It does not exceed2% OC (Oleoresin Capsicum), therefore, legalin Michigan for non-leos.

http://www.defensedevices.com/aboutfoxlabs.html

Oleoresin Capsicum link:http://www.zarc.com/english/cap-stun/tech_info/oc/

Oleoresin CapsicumVids:VIDEOS

ETA: Per MSP

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]1. In Michigan, can I carry a self-defense spray in my car or on my person for protection?[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica"][font="Arial, Helvetica"]MCL 750.224d[/font] Yes, but only if it is either:[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients (CS gas); or[/font]
  • [font="Arial, Helvetica"]A solution containing not more than 2% oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray) and is used in the protection of your person or property which would justify the use of physical force. It cannot be sold to a minor.[/font]

While on duty, I too carry Fox. That stuff is too awesome. It might not totally incapacitate them, but they won't be able to see for 6 hours.

nitrovic

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
First of all, sorry for a non-OC and even non-firearm related question, but since we talk self-defense here i thought it wouldn't be too offtopic. I often have to go a lot of places and regions where i cannot go armed with a gun, so i was researching some less restricted means of self defense. Taser seems very restricted as well, knife is ok but i hardly imagine myself winning a knife fight. Pepper spray seems the least restricted item out of all and even if taken somewhere where it's illegal, would less likely to cause serios legal problems. Anyway, the question is what brand/model of pepper spray/mace is the best on the market? Any input is welcome, especially from anyone with LEO experience who normally get to spray a guy or 2 a year. Thanks!

Punch II streamer M3. That sucker hurt and had me out of commission for awhile. However, some people still fought through it. The taser is tough to beat...

OC kills regular mace. Much more effective. I've been sprayed by both and can attest to that.:lol:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
I really don't have a preference of one over another. But I would look for a spray that also had a 'marker dye' in it. Will make it easier for LE to identify the perp when you spray him and call 911 first to report being attacked.
The Fox 5.3 I listed has a bit of orange to it, not like hunters orange, but orange. :)

sraacke

imported post

I carry a 2oz can of Freeze +P which is a mix of OC and CS. It's the same stuff we used when I worked for Department of Corrections. I figure if it works on the jerks when they are behind bars it's just as good if I run into them on the street.

Here's a like to a photo and description. http://www.policelink.com/products/products/1104-freezep

POLICE HARRASMENT WARNING- ->Just a word about this product. If you look at the photo in that link you will see at the bottom of the spray canister where it says CS/OC in small type the words POLICE UNIT. Now I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or why the makers of this product put it there. This product isavailable for sale to the general public with no restricitions here in Louisiana. I have not seen this printed on canisters of any other brand with higher or lower or the same percentages of chemicals. Yet I had a coworker who was commissioned as a police officer for the New Orleans Levee Board Police and later as a sheriffs deputy point out that if he or his "buddies" caught me with that while they were on duty they could arrest me and confiscate the canister because of the words POLICE UNIT on the bottom. When I called BS on him and asked him what charged I'd be arrested under he couldn't come up with anything. His mindset was that simply having the words POLICE UNIT on the canister meant it was a restricted item and he was warning me that I could be arrested for having it. I never could get him to come up with a charge. I was and still am positive that this guy was full of crap.

Heck, this story from WAFB channel 9 in Baton Rouge talks about the Baton Rouge Police Supply store selling out of Freeze+P as residents stock up over fears of crime. http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9535804&nav=menu57_5
The same is the case at Baton Rouge Police Supply. Owner Don Hogan says the store can hardly keep some home protection items in stock. "We are selling out of Freeze +P, sorta like the serial killer days," Hogan says.
Freeze +P is like pepper spray on steroids. However, people aren't stopping there.

Look, I'm not bashing cops but you have to realize that there are some real idiots out there in uniform and they can be a danger to your freedom. Know your rights and stand up for them.

Sorry for the derail.

Decoligny

imported post

I like this one. It allows me to spice up a salad, or just add a little zing to a pizza. :D

daves-gourmet-hot-sauce-garden-spray-726121.jpg

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks for your input guys! I also researched some LEO forums and it seems that the things that continuosly come up are: Fox Labs, Punch and Sabre. Seems like Sabre Red might be the hottest thing on the LEO market right now accorning to many. Anyone has experience with it?

FightingGlock19

imported post

remember, gang, the SHUs are the thing you want to look at, not the % of OC.

One type may have a 5% mixture, but the SHUs lower than another brand's 2% mix.

nitrovic

imported post

yale wrote:
I carry a 2oz can of Freeze +P which is a mix of OC and CS.  It's the same stuff we used when I worked for Department of Corrections. I figure if it works on the jerks when they are behind bars it's just as good if I run into them on the street. 

Here's a like to a photo and description.  http://www.policelink.com/products/products/1104-freezep 

POLICE HARRASMENT WARNING- ->Just a word about this product. If you look at the photo in that link you will see at the bottom of the spray canister where it says CS/OC in small type the words POLICE UNIT. Now I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or why the makers of this product put it there.  This product is available for sale to the general public with no restricitions here in Louisiana.  I have not seen this printed on canisters of any other brand with higher or lower or the same percentages of chemicals.  Yet I had a coworker who was commissioned as a police officer for the New Orleans Levee Board Police and later as a sheriffs deputy point out that if he or his "buddies" caught me with that while they were on duty they could arrest me and confiscate the canister because of the words POLICE UNIT on the bottom.  When I called BS on him and asked him what charged I'd be arrested under he couldn't come up with anything.  His mindset was that simply having the words POLICE UNIT on the canister meant it was a restricted item and he was warning me that I could be arrested for having it.  I never could get him to come up with a charge.  I was and still am positive that this guy was full of crap.

Heck, this story from WAFB channel 9 in Baton Rouge talks about the Baton Rouge Police Supply store selling out of Freeze+P as residents stock up over fears of crime. http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9535804&nav=menu57_5  
The same is the case at Baton Rouge Police Supply. Owner Don Hogan says the store can hardly keep some home protection items in stock. "We are selling out of Freeze +P, sorta like the serial killer days," Hogan says.
Freeze +P is like pepper spray on steroids. However, people aren't stopping there.

Look, I'm not bashing cops but you have to realize that there are some real idiots out there in uniform and they can be a danger to your freedom.  Know your rights and stand up for them.

Sorry for the derail. 

What does this have to do with selecting a pepper/OC spray?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
yale wrote:
I carry a 2oz can of Freeze +P which is a mix of OC and CS. It's the same stuff we used when I worked for Department of Corrections. I figure if it works on the jerks when they are behind bars it's just as good if I run into them on the street.

Here's a like to a photo and description. http://www.policelink.com/products/products/1104-freezep

POLICE HARRASMENT WARNING- ->Just a word about this product. If you look at the photo in that link you will see at the bottom of the spray canister where it says CS/OC in small type the words POLICE UNIT. Now I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or why the makers of this product put it there. This product isavailable for sale to the general public with no restricitions here in Louisiana. I have not seen this printed on canisters of any other brand with higher or lower or the same percentages of chemicals. Yet I had a coworker who was commissioned as a police officer for the New Orleans Levee Board Police and later as a sheriffs deputy point out that if he or his "buddies" caught me with that while they were on duty they could arrest me and confiscate the canister because of the words POLICE UNIT on the bottom. When I called BS on him and asked him what charged I'd be arrested under he couldn't come up with anything. His mindset was that simply having the words POLICE UNIT on the canister meant it was a restricted item and he was warning me that I could be arrested for having it. I never could get him to come up with a charge. I was and still am positive that this guy was full of crap.

Look, I'm not bashing cops but you have to realize that there are some real idiots out there in uniform and they can be a danger to your freedom. Know your rights and stand up for them.

Sorry for the derail.

Title: Pepper Spray Selection

Nitro, Yale simplyposted an option of aspecific type of spray to the OP and included a link for the product. Also, he providedsome "WARNING" infofor the members herewho choose to carry OC and/or CS (where legal)in case theyhave anencounter by an LEO who claims it is illegal. The OP also included a disclaimer so others here do not turn this into a "us vs them" thread.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

yale wrote:

Sorry for the derail.
The 2oz can of Fox 5.3 I carry has Law Enforcement Formula on it.As long as it does not exceed 2% OCit's legal in Michigan, regardless of what a LEO may say.

nitrovic

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
yale wrote:
I carry a 2oz can of Freeze +P which is a mix of OC and CS.  It's the same stuff we used when I worked for Department of Corrections. I figure if it works on the jerks when they are behind bars it's just as good if I run into them on the street. 

Here's a like to a photo and description.  http://www.policelink.com/products/products/1104-freezep 

POLICE HARRASMENT WARNING- ->Just a word about this product. If you look at the photo in that link you will see at the bottom of the spray canister where it says CS/OC in small type the words POLICE UNIT. Now I have no idea what that is supposed to mean or why the makers of this product put it there.  This product is available for sale to the general public with no restricitions here in Louisiana.  I have not seen this printed on canisters of any other brand with higher or lower or the same percentages of chemicals.  Yet I had a coworker who was commissioned as a police officer for the New Orleans Levee Board Police and later as a sheriffs deputy point out that if he or his "buddies" caught me with that while they were on duty they could arrest me and confiscate the canister because of the words POLICE UNIT on the bottom.  When I called BS on him and asked him what charged I'd be arrested under he couldn't come up with anything.  His mindset was that simply having the words POLICE UNIT on the canister meant it was a restricted item and he was warning me that I could be arrested for having it.  I never could get him to come up with a charge.  I was and still am positive that this guy was full of crap.

Look, I'm not bashing cops but you have to realize that there are some real idiots out there in uniform and they can be a danger to your freedom.  Know your rights and stand up for them.

Sorry for the derail. 

Nitro, Yale simply posted an option of a specific type of spray to the OP and included a link for the product.  Also, he provided some "WARNING" info for the members here who choose to carry OC and/or CS (where legal) in case they have an encounter by an LEO who claims it is illegal.  The OP also included a disclaimer so others here do not turn this into a "us vs them" thread.

I didn't see anything on the can saying the words "idiots" or "danger to your freedom". I appreciate the OC product he posted, but I fail to see the need to take it to that level.

Decoligny

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
yale wrote:

Look, I'm not bashing cops but you have to realize that there are some (referencing the above LEOs) real idiots out there in uniform and they can be a danger to your freedom. Know your rights and stand up for them.

Sorry for the derail.

Nitro, Yale simplyposted an option of aspecific type of spray to the OP and included a link for the product. Also, he providedsome "WARNING" infofor the members herewho choose to carry OC and/or CS (where legal)in case theyhave anencounter by an LEO who claims it is illegal. The OP also included a disclaimer so others here do not turn this into a "us vs them" thread.

I didn't see anything on the can saying the words "idiots" or "danger to your freedom". I appreciate the OC product he posted, but I fail to see the need to take it to that level.

He apparently saw the need to point out the idiocy of some specific individuals and make a general reference that they are probably not a singularly exclusive example, that there are indeed a few more of the same mindset out there, so be careful to know what is written on your OC spray to avoid any problem with the aforementioned idiots.

You see "Cop Bashing" in everything. You complainwhen a poster resorts to generalizations, and then you complianwhen a poster givesspecifics. Sounds kinda neurotic to me.

Found what looks to me like a real life photo of Nitrovics avatar:

straitjacket_new1.jpg