• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cold weather question

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

Hey all, I'm still fairly new at the carrying game, and I had a question.

I live in sunny Grand Forks, North Dakota, and the temperature the past few days has been minus 17 with a minus 30-40 windchill. Usually when I'm out and about I have my .380 ppk in a nylon holster inside a coat pocket. Couple that with the thick winter gloves that are needed for going to and fro, I seriously doubt I'd be able to get my firearm into action in less than...three seconds maybe?

So my question is, does anyone have any special techniques for carrying in arctic weather conditions to allow a faster response?

Also, when it is SERIOUSLY cold outside, is there any particular gun that would work better than another. (ie will a semi auto have problems with the slide getting cold, would a revolver have better reliability?)

Cheers

Flintlock

imported post

Well, I live in Alaska and having carried and hunted in below zero temps for years now, I will say that you still have many options. The North Slope Borough Police, the Alaska State Troopers, and Anchorage Police carry Glock pistols. Obviously, the Glock platform functions realiably in the colder environments. I can confirm the dependability as a Glock owner that has carried them in and out of town in cold, humid, dry, and wetenvironments.

As for your carry options, it is difficult in the winter to OC when you are bundled up. One option would be to use a drop-leg holster or an Alaska Sportsman's Holster.

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

If you choose to conceal but are concerned about accessibility for your firearm, one option you may consider would be a Safepacker system from Wilderness Tactical.

http://store.thewilderness.com/product_info.php?products_id=18

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I haven't dealt with the sub-zero temps that you are, but when I hunt, I wear a pair of Mechanic's gloves and shooting mittens. That way I can keep my hands warm and still have trigger control. Mechanics gloves aren't super warm, but they do keep the wind and cold metal from touching your skin directly, and there is enough finger sensation to shoot. I wear them in the milder winters here as I can still shoot with them on. Might be worth a try for you.

Respectfully,

Pol