Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which gun should I buy next?

Post imported post

I'm 18 years old and recently got my first handgun (a Glock 22). I've gone shooting a lot over the last couple of weeks and have been thinking about buying another handgun to add to the collection (which consists of 1 gun right now). I shot my uncle's 1911 the other day, which I loved. I was much more accurate with that than I am with the Glock.So now I'mconsidering buying a 1911. Who makes the best 1911 model for an affordable price? I'm open to any other suggestions as well. What do you guys think?

Post imported post

Rock Island (RIA) 1911 is a good starter.
    Taurus PT1911 is what I carry and swear by.
    Springfield makes a really nice one too.
    Kimber priced themselves out of the market for starters IMHO. Good gun but too much $$$.
    I'd go RIA or Taurus. Great guns for under $600.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Ahh. You're starting to add to your collection, eh? Addictive, isn't it?

Yes a 1911 is perhaps the best and most accurate weapon system of all semi-auto pistols and there are very good and real reasons for this. But don't give up on your Glock. The Glock makes an excellent combat defensive sidearm simply because they are so darned reliable. And they will shoot virtually anything you feed them. So when the chips are down, they are among the best to have on your side.

The 1911 platform is a joy to shoot because of its accuracy, its balance, and its feel. If you decide to carry a 1911, remember it is a single action so it must be carried in Condition One (cocked and locked) in order to be at the ready as quickly as possible.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

You can't go wrong with a 1911. It's THE classic American Handgun IMO. I'd recommend Springfield Armory. They have a great selection of 1911s and their warranty is top notch.

Rock Island/Armscor/High Standard have 1911s for below $500. If you have a little extra coin though, I'd go for SA.

I bought a used Kimber Classic Custom a few months ago and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. Since I bought it used, I didn't pay as much as buying new. If you buy a Kimber, I would look for a series 1 before they started using schwartz safety.

Post imported post

Springfield Armory Homepage http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...clicktype=1911

Springfield 1911 Marine Corps Operator

Springfield 1911 Loaded Model

Springfield 1911 Mil Spec

This is just a few of my favorites. I own Springfield guns, and they've never failed me. Their Customer service is amazing, and I've never met a person who hated Springfield. Not just for the sake of argument anyway.

Mil Spec is around $500

and the Loaded model's go from $700 to $900.

The MC Operators run from $950 to $1050.

If you do get a 1911, I'd be willing to bet you'll almost stop shooting that glock for a few months. They are HIGHLY addictive, and very fun to shoot. It's like an American Classic too. There's a lot of patriotism in a 1911 style pistol.

Post imported post

Dan Wesson Pointman 7 is a great 1911 style pistol. Very tight tolerances and though my hands shake like The Waco Kid's, I still shoot well with it. (No, my hands don't shake)

Post imported post

I've got a Kimber I bought around 9+ years ago and I have a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 which has been rather heavily modified.. a private sale in 9mm. Both are fine pieces with accuracy edge going to the Springfield.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

According to federal law, you're not allowed to buy a handgun or handgun ammunition until you're 21. So what are you talking about? Did you illegally buy a handgun?

Post imported post

ChanFu, in Virginia, he can legally purchase a handgun from a private seller.

The feds may stamp their feet and cry about it, but that's the way it works. The fed's don't have unlimited power, you know. Even after that fiasco in 1860.

Post imported post

Walleye wrote:

The feds may stamp their feet and cry about it, but that's the way it works. The fed's don't have unlimited power, you know. Even after that fiasco in 1860.
    (Well, maybe now they DO..

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of ********, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy ******* who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" ****, but it's just **** - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

Thanks for the reply and for making me think about it.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    I'm 18 years old and recently got my first handgun (a Glock 22). I've gone shooting a lot over the last couple of weeks and have been thinking about buying another handgun to add to the collection (which consists of 1 gun right now). I shot my uncle's 1911 the other day, which I loved. I was much more accurate with that than I am with the Glock.So now I'mconsidering buying a 1911. Who makes the best 1911 model for an affordable price? I'm open to any other suggestions as well. What do you guys think?
    When you can legally buy and own a handgun, the Taurus 1911-B1 would be my recommendation. Although you could skip the B1 (rail) model. I use mine in IPSC competition. Better gun than any $1200 thing. Just the fitment of the barrel, slide,
    frame is worth it. I should really change my sig to "Glocks Suk"...

Post imported post

ChanFu wrote:
    hunter45 wrote:
    When you can legally buy and own a handgun, the Taurus 1911-B1 would be my recommendation. Although you could skip the B1 (rail) model. I use mine in IPSC competition. Better gun than any $1200 thing. Just the fitment of the barrel, slide,
    frame is worth it. I should really change my sig to "Glocks Suk"...

I CAN legally buy and own a handgun. I can only buy it ifit's from a private sellar. But my Dad (or anyone else who is 21) can buy it from a licensed dealer and legally give it to me. My Glock was a Christmas present from my Dad, although he gave it to me about a month ago. As for ammo, I just have my parents or my uncle go out and buy it for me. It's notlike alcohol where it's illegal for someone to buy it for a minor.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Post imported post

Dragging off topic here, sorry hunter45...

ChanFu wrote:

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy ******* who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" @#$%, but it's just @#$% - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

As has been said before, freedom is a scary thing. I don't believe that age limits on anything mean squat; for one, I've known kids a hell of a lot more responsible than many adults. How does a 25 year old gang member living in the big city compare to a 14 year old living on a farm? Having the feds use the "One size fits all" approach doesn't work. And a lot of the problems you speak of are inherently due to government meddling such as age limits, etc. I really do not like federal powers over the state for those reasons - there is no way that people in California are exactly like people from South Dakota.

My take on it is the families can only do so much. If some kid goes out there and decides he wants to play russian roulette with an automatic, I say let him. Even if people are taught those values, they don't always set in. Some things you just have to find out for yourself.

Post imported post

How come when it's a law we do not agree with it is a 'loophole'? Maybe it is that way on purpose.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Alright so what kind of gun are you looking at ?

How's the Springfields above look to you ?

Post imported post

You may also want to consider a Browning Hi-Power P35 especially in the Mark III-S series if you can find one. The 9mm versions of these are classics and among the finish single action semi-auto pistols ever made. If you get one. have the trigger worked by a competent gunsmith, but do not have the magazine disconnect safety removed if you want to carry the weapon for protection.

I have owned two; one in 9mm and one in .40S&W. I still have the 9 mil. It was the first centerfire semi-auto pistol I ever owned and will remain in my collection. It has been worked by a smith for the things I mentioned above plus a few other mods. A real gem.

America First!

Post imported post

ChanFu wrote:
    Walleye wrote:

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy ******* who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" @#$%, but it's just @#$% - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

Do you live in Las Vegas? Because I fit that profile to a T!

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:

Right now I'm looking at the Taurus PT1911 and the Springfield Mil Spec that you mentioned.

Post imported post

I know several people in our club that have the Taurus, and they are very happy with them. One way to know how well they have been received is by looking at the price since they were introduced. I remember seeing them for around $425

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    Dustin wrote:

Right now I'm looking at the Taurus PT1911 and the Springfield Mil Spec that you mentioned.
    Cool, so what's your beef with them ? Price Range.

Honestly, I know Tuarus makes decent firearms, just not sure how well their 1911's work.

I''ve got a friend who's got a Mil-Spec, he's put around 6,000 rounds thru it. Absolutely Flawless. He bring sit to the range once a month, and I've personaly put 300 rounds are better thru it. I'm not going to buy the Mil Spec next year, but I will be looking at buying Springfield's MC Operator, or a Loaded model.

Post imported post

Another one you should definitely check out.

Smith & Wesson 1911. I have two of them. I also have a SA two-tone but I so much love the feel of the S&W's that I think I have become a follower.

If you want another handgun that uses the same grip angle as the 1911, try the Springfield XD series. They can be had in most popular handgun calibers, like 9mm up to 45ACP.

This grip angle may be one area that provided an immediate improvement in accuracy. No other logical reason makes sense. I had a Taurus PT1911 and although the gun functioned flawlessly, I could NOT get used to the Hinie straight “8” sights that come standard on that model. I am aware that many people love them, however I could not get a fast OR accurate sight picture with them. My wife currently has a Taurus millennium Pro with the same sights and I still cannot get a good sight picture with them.

The SA-XD series also comes in several sizes for your comfort in carrying. I have 9mm’s in 3” sub-compact, a 4” BBL “service model and a 5” tactical model. The sub-compact has a shorter grip that carries 10+1 rds but the full size magazines will insert and lock in place for when space is not an issue.

Post imported post

ChanFu wrote:
    Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy ******* who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. ...
    1) NRA sux. Keep clear of them or you will be assimilated!

2) The ability to keep and bear arms is not a loophole.

3) There is no correlation between age and firearms experience.

4) RKBA is a fundamental right, records of any type are not required to exercise a fundamental right.

5) Known gun owner = registration or worse. This is the fast track to increased gun control.

6) Most cowboys are not jackasses.I often take my colts out for breakfast, but I am not a cowboy.

Live free or die,

Thundar

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

If self defense is a major motivation for having the gun, and I'm sure it is, here are some practical considerations as you add to your collection.

If you ever use the gun in a defensive action, police are virtually certain to take that gun as evidence in their criminal investigation. Even if it is decided you acted properly, it may take a very long time to get your gun back. In the meantime, you'll have to defend yourself with whatever else you have in your collection, assuming the police don't think you're a menace to society and confiscate your entire collection.

I've always thought it was a good idea to have a second gun that is very similar, or even identical, to my primary defensive gun. If my SIG P229 ever becomes unavailable, for reasons legal or mechanical, I can slide a SIG P228 right into the same holster. Works the same, controls all in the same place, etc. Don't have to worry about the gun working differently while all stressed out over the legal mess. And if the holster ever becomes unavailable, I have another, AND an identical holster for the other hand, should the main shooting hand become injured (as it did when I broke a pinkie finger this summer).

Among my handgun collection are various SIG models including two P226's (9 mm), P239 (9 mm), P228 (9 mm), P229 (.40/.357SIG and 9mm if I get a drop in barrel for it), P220 (.45), P245 (.45) and P230 (.380). All work similarly and several can share holsters and even magazines. A single Blackhawk holster accommodates the P220, P226, P229 and P228. P220 magazines work in the P245 and are fine for second magazines. Likewise, P226 magazines fit the P228 and are fine for second magazines (they stick out from the P228 grip a bit).

You could do the same kind of thing I described above with Glocks, 1911's and many other makes of handguns.

In any case, food for thought. Enjoy building your collection.

Post imported post

ChanFu wrote:
    According to federal law, you're not allowed to buy a handgun or handgun ammunition until you're 21. So what are you talking about? Did you illegally buy a handgun?
    [snip] Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy ******* who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" @#$%, but it's just @#$% - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

You're not on my side, and I'm not on your side, despite your claimto NRA Life Membership.

"Responsible gun ownership" is one of the anti favorites and it's something we've all heard Obama touting. You claim that a gun owner needs to have experience and a record of responsibility. How exactly does a new prospective gun-owner have that experience and record of responsibility? Oh, that's right, they don't. So they never get to own a gun, because they haven't proved themselves capable of doing so. (Never you mind that thing we call the 2nd amendment, that's already repealed, the way you're talking.) The last thing gun-owners need is any governmental agency making a determination on their proficiency, responsibility, or experience with a firearm as a prerequisite to purchase a firearm.

Then you go on to state that we should be willing to be known as a gun-owner. Does that imply that some form of centralized database should be kept and every time we buy (and register) a new firearm it should go into the newspaper right next to the registered sex-offenders?

You stereotype college students as nothing but drunken frat-hooligans. I happen to be a college student and I carry regularly (except on campus, where I'm disarmed by unconstitutional "Administrative Codes"). Then you call cowboys jackasses for wanting to wear two Colts at Denny's. I don't own any Colts but I happen to have recentlycarried a Smith & Wesson revolver and my new H&K auto at the same time (openly)in Denny's. In fact, I ordered a beer with my meal too. (Our Denny's has a full bar, but I can't sit at the bar with my firearms, so I had to order my drink to a normal table instead.)

So, you've trampled on the second amendment in three ways, insulted me twice, and then insulted just about every gun-owning parent out there in your last breath. Lastly, you misinterpreted federal law and accused a lawful purchaser of a firearm of illegally purchasing a firearm.

You're off to a great start.

Post imported post

1911's:

Inventor: John M. Browning

Fun Factor, off the chart

Accessories Available: Too many to talk about

Makers: Lots

The only problem I have ever encountered with them is it is expensive to own one, because onebecomes two, and you just keep going from there.....

Don't forget to add a few wheelguns to your collection too....and a MUST HAVE is .22 pistol, my choice is the Ruger MKII 22/45, if you can find a MKII 22/45, if not go with the MKIII 22/45, 4" Bull Barrel with the adjustable rear sights, a .22 is fun and cheap to shoot.

Welcome to the world of Shooters, enjoy building that Collection........and don't forget the rifles and shotguns too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast