• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which gun should I buy next?

hunter45

imported post

I'm 18 years old and recently got my first handgun (a Glock 22). I've gone shooting a lot over the last couple of weeks and have been thinking about buying another handgun to add to the collection (which consists of 1 gun right now). I shot my uncle's 1911 the other day, which I loved. I was much more accurate with that than I am with the Glock.So now I'mconsidering buying a 1911. Who makes the best 1911 model for an affordable price? I'm open to any other suggestions as well. What do you guys think?

Evil Ernie

imported post

Rock Island (RIA) 1911 is a good starter.
Taurus PT1911 is what I carry and swear by.
Springfield makes a really nice one too.
Kimber priced themselves out of the market for starters IMHO. Good gun but too much $$$.
I'd go RIA or Taurus. Great guns for under $600.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ahh. You're starting to add to your collection, eh? Addictive, isn't it?

Yes a 1911 is perhaps the best and most accurate weapon system of all semi-auto pistols and there are very good and real reasons for this. But don't give up on your Glock. The Glock makes an excellent combat defensive sidearm simply because they are so darned reliable. And they will shoot virtually anything you feed them. So when the chips are down, they are among the best to have on your side.

The 1911 platform is a joy to shoot because of its accuracy, its balance, and its feel. If you decide to carry a 1911, remember it is a single action so it must be carried in Condition One (cocked and locked) in order to be at the ready as quickly as possible.

eyesopened

imported post

You can't go wrong with a 1911. It's THE classic American Handgun IMO. I'd recommend Springfield Armory. They have a great selection of 1911s and their warranty is top notch.

Rock Island/Armscor/High Standard have 1911s for below $500. If you have a little extra coin though, I'd go for SA.

I bought a used Kimber Classic Custom a few months ago and it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. Since I bought it used, I didn't pay as much as buying new. If you buy a Kimber, I would look for a series 1 before they started using schwartz safety.

Dustin

imported post

Springfield Armory Homepage http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=1911

Springfield 1911 Marine Corps Operator

001047.large.jpg

Springfield 1911 Loaded Model

Springfield 1911 Mil Spec

PB9108LP.jpg

This is just a few of my favorites. I own Springfield guns, and they've never failed me. Their Customer service is amazing, and I've never met a person who hated Springfield. Not just for the sake of argument anyway.

Mil Spec is around $500

and the Loaded model's go from $700 to $900.

The MC Operators run from $950 to $1050.

If you do get a 1911, I'd be willing to bet you'll almost stop shooting that glock for a few months. They are HIGHLY addictive, and very fun to shoot. It's like an American Classic too. There's a lot of patriotism in a 1911 style pistol.

madcapmag

imported post

Dan Wesson Pointman 7 is a great 1911 style pistol. Very tight tolerances and though my hands shake like The Waco Kid's, I still shoot well with it. (No, my hands don't shake)

ChanFu

imported post

According to federal law, you're not allowed to buy a handgun or handgun ammunition until you're 21. So what are you talking about? Did you illegally buy a handgun?

Walleye

imported post

ChanFu, in Virginia, he can legally purchase a handgun from a private seller.

The feds may stamp their feet and cry about it, but that's the way it works. The fed's don't have unlimited power, you know. Even after that fiasco in 1860.

ChanFu

imported post

Walleye wrote:

The feds may stamp their feet and cry about it, but that's the way it works. The fed's don't have unlimited power, you know. Even after that fiasco in 1860.
(Well, maybe now they DO..;)

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of assholes, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy jackass who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" shit, but it's just shit - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

Thanks for the reply and for making me think about it.

ChanFu

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
I'm 18 years old and recently got my first handgun (a Glock 22). I've gone shooting a lot over the last couple of weeks and have been thinking about buying another handgun to add to the collection (which consists of 1 gun right now). I shot my uncle's 1911 the other day, which I loved. I was much more accurate with that than I am with the Glock.So now I'mconsidering buying a 1911. Who makes the best 1911 model for an affordable price? I'm open to any other suggestions as well. What do you guys think?
When you can legally buy and own a handgun, the Taurus 1911-B1 would be my recommendation. Although you could skip the B1 (rail) model. I use mine in IPSC competition. Better gun than any $1200 thing. Just the fitment of the barrel, slide,
frame is worth it. I should really change my sig to "Glocks Suk"...

hunter45

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
When you can legally buy and own a handgun, the Taurus 1911-B1 would be my recommendation. Although you could skip the B1 (rail) model. I use mine in IPSC competition. Better gun than any $1200 thing. Just the fitment of the barrel, slide,
frame is worth it. I should really change my sig to "Glocks Suk"...

I CAN legally buy and own a handgun. I can only buy it ifit's from a private sellar. But my Dad (or anyone else who is 21) can buy it from a licensed dealer and legally give it to me. My Glock was a Christmas present from my Dad, although he gave it to me about a month ago. As for ammo, I just have my parents or my uncle go out and buy it for me. It's notlike alcohol where it's illegal for someone to buy it for a minor.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Walleye

imported post

Dragging off topic here, sorry hunter45...

ChanFu wrote:

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy jackass who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" @#$%, but it's just @#$% - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

As has been said before, freedom is a scary thing. I don't believe that age limits on anything mean squat; for one, I've known kids a hell of a lot more responsible than many adults. How does a 25 year old gang member living in the big city compare to a 14 year old living on a farm? Having the feds use the "One size fits all" approach doesn't work. And a lot of the problems you speak of are inherently due to government meddling such as age limits, etc. I really do not like federal powers over the state for those reasons - there is no way that people in California are exactly like people from South Dakota.

My take on it is the families can only do so much. If some kid goes out there and decides he wants to play russian roulette with an automatic, I say let him. Even if people are taught those values, they don't always set in. Some things you just have to find out for yourself.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

You may also want to consider a Browning Hi-Power P35 especially in the Mark III-S series if you can find one. The 9mm versions of these are classics and among the finish single action semi-auto pistols ever made. If you get one. have the trigger worked by a competent gunsmith, but do not have the magazine disconnect safety removed if you want to carry the weapon for protection.

I have owned two; one in 9mm and one in .40S&W. I still have the 9 mil. It was the first centerfire semi-auto pistol I ever owned and will remain in my collection. It has been worked by a smith for the things I mentioned above plus a few other mods. A real gem.

Sheepdawg

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
Walleye wrote:

Yeah. And in spite of being a life member of the NRA and living here, it's a a loophole that I'm not happy with. The "feds" are just a bunch of @#$%s, granted, but I'm for responsible gun ownership. That means you've got some experience, you have a record of responsibility, you're willing to be KNOWN as a gun owner and you're not some college kid would take a piece to a frat beer bust or some cowboy jackass who packs two Colts for breakfast at Denny's. I'm also for upping the driving age to 18, and it's only because we can't teach responsibility at home anymore. Used to be, we could trust our kids with almost anything at 14 or 15, even the tractor and the shotgun, because we started them out being responsible when they were 9. Now, I'm not so sure. We talk about "family values" @#$%, but it's just @#$% - ideas and not actions. Nobody has time now to teach kids about handling the real world and we're losing the space to do it - the walls are closing in.

That's my take, anyway.

Do you live in Las Vegas? Because I fit that profile to a T!:cool:

hunter45

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Alright so what kind of gun are you looking at ?

How's the Springfields above look to you ?
Right now I'm looking at the Taurus PT1911 and the Springfield Mil Spec that you mentioned.

Gordie

imported post

I know several people in our club that have the Taurus, and they are very happy with them. One way to know how well they have been received is by looking at the price since they were introduced. I remember seeing them for around $425

Dustin

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
Dustin wrote:
Alright so what kind of gun are you looking at ?

How's the Springfields above look to you ?
Right now I'm looking at the Taurus PT1911 and the Springfield Mil Spec that you mentioned.

Cool, so what's your beef with them ? Price Range.

Honestly, I know Tuarus makes decent firearms, just not sure how well their 1911's work.

I''ve got a friend who's got a Mil-Spec, he's put around 6,000 rounds thru it. Absolutely Flawless. He bring sit to the range once a month, and I've personaly put 300 rounds are better thru it. I'm not going to buy the Mil Spec next year, but I will be looking at buying Springfield's MC Operator, or a Loaded model.