Thread: Bar Owner Protects his Business and Patrons with a .45‏

Post imported post

December 21, 2008. Source: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/36514379.html

Andy Kochanski thought the silhouettes he spotted through the foggy windows were two customers coming into his tavern about 1 a.m. Friday.

Kochanski was hosting a Christmas party, and all the Milwaukee concertina greats had been jamming in the landmark polka hall - formerly Art's Concertina Bar - on the city's south side.

Then Kochanski saw the black ski masks and the sawed-off shotgun.
    He didn't hesitate. He reached under the bar for his loaded Glock .45.
    As he ducked, he heard a blast and lead whizzing over his head, shattering whiskey bottles and the mirror behind the bar

He stood up and squeezed the trigger.
    "All that went through my mind was, 'Oh my God, I'm going to have to kill these guys,'" Kochanski said Saturday.
    Bullets flew for about 10 seconds as the masked men backed out the door, he said.
    Longtime local harmonica player Donald "Doc" Pfaff dropped to the floor.
    "I said, 'I'm hit.' I must have said it three or four times before it registered with anybody,' Pfaff, 67, said from his hospital bed Saturday night. "It was like the OK Corral."

Pfaff was hit in the buttocks and the bullet exited through the front of his hip, shattering some bone. He expects to leave the hospital today.

Police won't say who fired the shot that hit Pfaff. And Pfaff said he doesn't care.
    Kochanski said he doesn't know. He thinks he hit the man firing the shotgun - from the way the man fell back - but he can't say for sure.

Police said they had no suspects in custody Saturday night.
    Barbara Meyer-Spidell had just gone to the restroom when the shooting began. She credits Kochanski with saving all the customers' lives.

"He's really a hero," she said. "He displayed courage and valor...It was great that he was so astute."
    She said she hopes the shooting doesn't scare patrons away from the historic beer hall at 1920 S. 37th St., now known as Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall. She said customers should instead feel safe.

"I'd rather go to Kochanski's and be protected by Andy than somewhere else and have some drunk bartender who's not paying attention," Meyer-Spidell said.

Kochanski, too, is worried about the impact the shootout might have on his struggling business. But he said customers should not be afraid.

"This is a safe place. It's polka. People come here with their kids...It's magical. It's special. It's not a typical bar.

"With all the retired cops and firefighters that come in here, they (the robbers) are lucky I was the only one shooting at them," he said.

Post imported post

Sheesh, some people just do not like polka!

But yeah, you can conceal in your own business.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

"It was like the OK Corral."
    Why do they always say that? Does anyone even know what the OK Corral was these days?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

RugerMan wrote:
    "It was like the OK Corral."
    Why do they always say that? Does anyone even know what the OK Corral was these days?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ok_Corral
    About 30 shots were fired in 30 seconds. Although only three men were killed during the gunfight, it is generally regarded as the most famous gunfight in the history of the Old West. Many other gunfights of the period resulted in more people killed, such as the Four Dead in Five Seconds Gunfight, the Going Snake Massacre, the Hot Springs Gunfight, and the Gunfight at Hide Park.
    Ordinances Relevant in the Preliminary Hearing in the Earp-Holliday Case, Heard before Judge Wells Spicer.

November 1881
    Ordinance No. 9: "To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons" (effective April 19, 1881).

Section 1. "It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.

Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.

Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance."
    All these years later and the gun controllers still haven't learned.

Post imported post

Here's the main, perhaps only, similarity:

"Longtime local harmonica player Donald "Doc" Pfaff dropped to the floor."

Somebody called "Doc" was wounded.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

lol. very well said.

Post imported post

Extremely well pointed out. For having lived in Wyoming afterward living in Madison, I become rather agitated when I hear the term "Wild West" thrown about when private ownership of firearms are involved. It's pure crap, because if you are comfortable with weapons you no longer fear them but rather see them for what they are - tools of independence and self security. And I am glad the guy in this story was able to head off some undesirables.

That's what ownership is all about !!!
    I aim to misbehave

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Will someone please fix the crappy code

Post imported post

The code is just expressing it's freedom to be as it wants. Which is a perfect example of how what is OK to some is annoying ans hell to others. Unfortunately in this case, I belong to the latter group of annoyed individuals.
    I aim to misbehave

Post imported post

When I hear people predicting the return of the "wild west" every time pro-gun legislation is passed, I laugh at their blindness to the world around them. In fact, some of the country's most populated areas are more like the wild west than not. Bank robbers. Car jackers. Gangs. Corrupt law-men.

I don't blame those people for being fearful and ignorant, though. We have more in common than not. We are worried about people endangering our lives and the lives of those we care about. The difference, is that I choose to take responsibility for my safety. And they choose to hide.

They had words for people like that in the old west. :P

Post imported post

The dead?
    I aim to misbehave