• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC permit in Wake County today

BMW Racer

imported post

A friend and I met at the Wake County Sheriff's Office today (we hadn't planned it but he called and asked where I was, and was only three miles away) with our CC Certificates and went through the process. The room was FULL of people getting CC permits and pistol permits.

Everyone looked like good, safe folks so I felt good about it.

I still feel a little funny OC'ing but will do it more after I get my permit. I know it's legal without the permit and that the CC permit has nothing to do with OC but it just makes me feel better about it. Does anyone with a current CC permit feel the same?

Also, with my recent OC'ing my 11 year-old daughter and 9 year-old son are now perfectly comfortable with me having my 9mm. I was sure to explain the laws/restrictions of using deadly force, avoiding confrontations, etc.and they're good with it.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I never once OC'ed before getting my CCH permit. Granted, I didn't know AS MUCH as I do now about laws/regulations regarding both, but I still didn't do it. Now I carry nearly every place that I go, and approximately half of the time is OC. Once the warm weather returns and I am no longer wearing my long jackets and layers of clothing, I will almost entirely OC.

But I do have to admit that it is very much more comforting knowing that if I AM approached by a LEO (so far I have never been bothered or questioned), I have that laminated permit in my wallet that 'backs me up' and essentially tells him or her, "Don't worry, this guy is legit to carry, whether open or concealed."

I feel like if I didn't have that CCH permit in my wallet, it would almost be like I am saying, "Don't worry officer, I'm really not a bad guy, and don't worry, this is my gun, not someone else's, and don't worry, I'm legally allowed to own it, I swear. And I swear I'm telling you the truth, I pinky promise! You can trust me!"

Once he or she sees a valid CCH permit, they respect your right to own and carry a gun, whether they want to or not. If you don't have one, then essentially they are just "taking your word for it" that you are legally entitled to own and carry the firearm that you are OC'ing on your hip, as opposed to being a convicted felon, or someone else who isn't eligible to carry a handgun.

I have read multiple stories (a few on this website) of OC'ers being approached/questioned by LEO's and one of the first questions that they were asked was "Do you have a CCH permit?", even though their firearm wasn't concealed.

So that's how I see it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I like having the option to legally carry concealed so I don't have to worry about putting a coat on, but if I'm carrying openly, my permit stays concealed. I've had to deal with LEOs once or twice while carrying openly, and neither time did I even mention my CHP. It's none of their business. LEO's shouldn't need proof to "back up" a person's innocence just because that person is armed. That's a dangerous attitude to have.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
It's none of their business. LEO's shouldn't need proof to "back up" a person's innocence just because that person is armed. That's a dangerous attitude to have.

You may feel that way, as many others do. But in reality, you know how it really is.

Umm yeah, in reality, it's none of their damned business. They have no legal grounds to detain, question, or even suspect someone base solely on the fact that they are armed. This issupportedby written law, case law, constitutional law, and natural born freedom.

If a cop walks up to you while you're minding your own business and starts questioning you solely because you're armed, it is your right to tell them to go do their job and stop wasting your time. I've done it, and looky-loo! I'm still alive and breathing with no arrest record :D.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

Whoa, calm down cowboy!

the cops aren't out to get you or anything like that. they are on OUR side. they are here to protect US from the bad guys, including the ones who have given up their right to own and carry a firearm, but yet still do anyway.

the cops are not the bad guys.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
Whoa, calm down cowboy!

the cops aren't out to get you or anything like that. they are on OUR side. they are here to protect US from the bad guys, including the ones who have given up their right to own and carry a firearm, but yet still do anyway.

the cops are not the bad guys.
I never said they were bad guys, and I don't appreciate you attempting to twist my words around. I said my business is none of theirs. That doesn't mean I think they're evil. It just means that as long as you're obeying the law, they legally cannot approach you in an official manner based solely on the fact that you happened to be armed. Make sense? I sure hope so.

BMW Racer

imported post

Interesting discussion; I agree that the police should not bother someone solely based on the fact that he has a gun...but it does happen (according to stories on this board) and having a CC permit will make me feel better about it.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

BMW Racer wrote:
Interesting discussion; I agree that the police should not bother someone solely based on the fact that he has a gun...but it does happen (according to stories on this board) and having a CC permit will make me feel better about it.

The problem with hiding behind the permit is that it enforces the idea that you need a permit to avoid getting hassled. You shouldn't be hassled in the first place!

If a LEO stops you to harass you about your sidearm, and after discovering that you have a CHP he decides to let you be, then he hasn't learned anything. In his mind his actions were justified because he made sure that you had your permit. On the other hand, if upon being stopped by a LEO for your sidearm, you politely remind the LEO that he should mind his own business unless he has reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, he may just figure out that he screwed up.

I'm honestly a little ashamed that I even have my CHP at all. When I went through the process, I didn't realize that I could exercise my right without getting anyone's permission first. That's the whole point of open carry.

Mungo

imported post

DreQo wrote
The problem with hiding behind the permit is that it enforces the idea that you need a permit to avoid getting hassled. You shouldn't be hassled in the first place!

If a LEO stops you to harass you about your sidearm, and after discovering that you have a CHP he decides to let you be, then he hasn't learned anything. In his mind his actions were justified because he made sure that you had your permit. On the other hand, if upon being stopped by a LEO for your sidearm, you politely remind the LEO that he should mind his own business unless he has reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, he may just figure out that he screwed up.

I'm honestly a little ashamed that I even have my CHP at all. When I went through the process, I didn't realize that I could exercise my right without getting anyone's permission first. That's the whole point of open carry.
I gotta say I agree with everything DreQo is saying.

The CCW only entitles you to carry concealed in specific places. The only time I actually feel better about having my CCW is when I'm in a car, because the laws are so asinine. You can actually carry more places legally openly, than you an legally concealed.

I think it is a dangerous thought to feel *safer* with a CCW carrying open.