• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lots of home invasions and bank robberies...

Sleepless

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Sleepless wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

Hey Sarge, I tried to check out the above link but I got to the Libertybell website and they had a comment "No hotlinking allowed".

Do you have a direct link to the article at all??
OK, try this one. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5164016]http://www.ksl.com%2F%3Fnid%3D148%26amp%3Bsid%3D5164016&b=36]http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5164016[/url]

It didn't work until I removed everything except http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5164016

I told a female friend who is also a church member that if Ihad been there then I would have drawn on the guy and asked him if he had met Jesus yet.

At least it sounded good. :uhoh::celebrate

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

WOW! What a pain in the ass! I went back and fixed all the links in this thread.

I now know not to copy and paste when I am at work!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

David Nelson wrote:
Coincidentally 2008 saw a dramatic increase in vandalism and violence against LDS persons and property as well as others who had lawfully and peacefully exercised their rights to freedom of speech as well as the franchise in determining certain public policies.

EVERYBODY should be secure in their rights. And certain angry mobs should be very grateful that various LDS Church officials and most LDS Church members are FAR better Christians than I am.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

[EDITED TO REMOVE NON RKBA DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN FORUM MEMBERS]

Guys ... You are both dedicated civil rights activists and we value your membership here.

Let's try to avoid letting disagreements over other issues cloud our common vision.

The short answer is that increased violence against the LDS community OR the LGBT community is a valid reason to try and increase both community's awareness of self-defense rights.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

jpierce wrote:
[EDITED TO REMOVE NON RKBA DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN FORUM MEMBERS]

Guys ... You are both dedicated civil rights activists and we value your membership here.

Let's try to avoid letting disagreements over other issues cloud our common vision.

The short answer is that increased violence against the LDS community OR the LGBT community is a valid reason to try and increase both community's awareness of self-defense rights.
With the exception that I am activist for the God-given, Constitutionally enumerated right to own and carry arms for the express purpose of self-defense, rather than for man-made "civil 'rights'", I agree completely. I said that in my original, unedited response to Mr. Nelson.

I said it a year ago when he first started bringing a non-RKBA political issue into this forum and then taking personal offense when I dared express a contrary opinion on that non-RKBA issue.

Sadly, it seems that Mr. Nelson is unwilling to engage in debate or exchange that involves any level of disagreement. He also appears unwilling to do as most of the rest of us do which is to generally leave our non-RKBA political and social issues outside this forum.

And just as he did a year ago, he has now gone through his recent posts, edited them to remove all content, and I presume gone away for another season.

Again, I'm willing and anxious to work with almost anyone, including Mr. Nelson, on the issue of RKBA. All I expect is that I be shown the same respect and tolerance that others want me to show them. I'm also very happy to simply avoid all discussion of non-RKBA issues...if others are willing to do likewise.

All the best.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Looks like people are starting to get a clue.

ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5772979

Recent rash of armed robberies has victims fighting back

March 5th, 2009 @ 10:23pm
By Amanda Butterfield

SALT LAKE CITY -- There has been a rash of armed robberies in Salt Lake and Utah counties in the past few months. The thieves are often hitting places late at night where a lone clerk is working the graveyard shift, but in many cases the employees are fighting back.

Last week, a Walgreen's employee in Kearns was not about to let the bad guy get away. When the would-be robber jumped the counter, the fight was on.

Dunn, was so tired of being a victim he chased a would-be robber down the street with a golf club. "You let them get away, then they're going to come back," he said.

Wednesday night, a man walked into a Salt Lake City 7-Eleven and told the clerk he would shoot if he didn't hand over money. The clerk argued with the robber, and the robber took off empty handed.

Sandy police Sgt. Justin Chapman understands the frustrations of employees who don't want to be victims and have that fight response. "Legally, do they have the right to? Absolutely. They have the right to defend themselves from harm, or anybody else from harm, and also the property -- their store or their business, whatever it happens to be," he said.

But Chapman admits he and others in his profession would rather victims not fight back.

Surveillance video from another Salt Lake 7-Eleven that was robbed in February shows the suspect was armed with a knife.

"The clerk kind of moved out of the way, and this person essentially emptied the till and left the store," said Lt. Don Hutson, spokesman for the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office.

"Money can be replaced through insurance. Items can be replaced. But of course, that person, if the individual is hurt, that's going to be difficult to recover from," Chapman said.

In Utah County early Thursday morning, a motel clerk decided it wasn't worth the risk to fight when a man walked in with a gun.

"[He was] pointing this handgun at the clerk. He only said four words. He said, ‘Give me the money," explained Lt. Doug Edwards, spokesman for the Orem Department of Public Safety. The clerk did as told.

"We really want to be careful about what we would advise an individual to do. We don't want to put them in harm's way," Chapman said.

Just to see if the economy and recession is driving crime, we got some numbers from the Salt Lake County's Sheriff's Office. We found the number of robberies reported in January from the past two years is pretty consistent, even down a bit: 16 in 2008, and 13 in 2009.

rightsreserved

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Looks like people are starting to get a clue.

Some not so much. I think I mentioned I own a small business and OC always, and deal with all members of the public. The ones who tend to be the abrasive toward me are people who claim to be ccw holders and/or belong to this or that shooting club. Apparently I am setting my self up to be a victim because if someone is going to try to rob me the perp is going to come in with guns a blazing. They seem to think that they are the only ones who should be allowed to own weapons. What frustrates me the most is the attitude is that I couldn't possibly know how to handle myself because I OC and cant recognize a dangerous situation as it develops.

They think I must be some type of Wyatt Earp wanna be or worse. It seems they are shocked to see that there are people who say I won't be an easy target. I not saying that it couldn't happen to me.

I am doing a poor job of trying to explain myself. I OC for many reasons. Mostly because of what this country said about itself during the last election. The President think I must have all the money.I have been able to keep my business afloat because I have kept my business debt free for the most part. I am not nor ever will be asking for a bailout but to be left alone to conduct my business as I see fit. And If I succeed or fail it will be on my own merits.

Its not the scumbag who scares me it my own government (state and federal). OCing is my line in the sand. The Government my be able to take my money and my business but it is my life and my families life and we have a right exist be happy andto live lifeaccording to the dictates of our own consciousness.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I've noticed this too. There is no shortage of elitists that have permits, and know everything!

I'm going to have to find out what business you own, so I can help "stimulate the economy". ;)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Not all, just the gun owners that QUOTE EVERY GOD DAMN REPLY! :cuss:

...sorry. Kinda lost it there. I going to stand in the corner now. :(

G

imported post

Deleted, as it is no where near pertinent to OCing.

thx997303

imported post

So, you are saying that you will not call my religion by its proper designation? And are instead using a term that is oft a derogatory one?

Hmmm.....