Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you carry and why?

Post imported post

I thought this migfht be an interesting discussion after reading the recent posts in the open carry experiences thread.

I live in the "boonies" where bear and other critters are just as much a problem as bad guys. I also have very small hands that make it impossible to hold a large caliber auto or DA revolver properly. My 1911 has a super short trigger. Someday I'd like to modify a .44mag S&W Model 29 to fit...

So, that has led me to a highly modified Ruger Bisley Vaquero. .45 Long Colt. The grip frame has been cut and shortened, and it has a S&W target rear sight, plus a lot of accuracy mods.

Since it is a single action revolver, I practice a lot. That's the joy of the boonies, I get to shoot in my back yard!:celebrate

I feed it 280 grain cast lead that comes out the other end at 1150fps (remember the bears).

It is carried strong side in a leather "Tom Threepersons" style holster with an adjustable welt for tension and retention.

I look forward to hearing what you guys, and gals, carry.

Tim

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Glock 17 9mm in a Blackhawk Serpa, two spare mags. Loaded with 147gr. Fiocchi XTPB JHP - 980FPS or 115gr. XTP JHP at 1245FPS.

-Zzz

Post imported post

I have two main configurations. One is a bit dressier than the other.

For the most part you'll see me carrying my XD-40 Service Model in a Blackhawk, and you won't see my S&W Model 637 .38spl in my Uncle Mikes #3 Sidekick pocket holster (Sometimes I carry my Keltec p3at (.380....3at... ) in the same Uncle Mikes).

When I need to be a bit classier I carry my Sig p229 in a black leather Bianchi, and then of course it's sidekick in the Sidekick.

On top of this, I carry a SureFire flashlight on my belt and I now carry my voice recorder (thanks Frankenmuth PD ). I also usually have at least one spare mag, sometimes two. Also, the most important tool... my BlackBerry.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I carry my Taurus PT1911, 8+1 .45ACP and 2 extra 7 rnd mags in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

I forgot the "why" part...just look at it...it's beautiful. I can't walk around with that hidden from the world! I must share! :celebrate

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Beretta model 70 Puma in 32 ACP in an Uncle Mike's holster.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

Post imported post

Smith and Wesson model 66 .357 Magnum. 4" barrel.
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

Beretta 92FS, but I had to suspend my OC activities until I can buy a new holster and belt. I've decided it would be prudent to upgrade to a Serpa from my current thumbreak, and its time I quit using my ordinary dress belt as a piece of load bearing equipment. It rose to the challenge for some time now, but I've definitely weakened it.

A local shop sells the belts and holsters, but will have to order mine because they don't get too many Beretta customers. Once I've completed some needed repairs to my truck I'll be picking up the belt and having them order the holster. I'm thinking it will be this one due to its versatility:
    http://blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-...ONLY,84,82.htm

Not that I plan on wearing MOLLE gear around town, but I had some given to me and use it for hiking in state game areas, so I'd get full use out of this assortment because I can tailor my carry method to my activities and location.

As for why... I learned to shoot on a large frame semi auto and I'm comfortable with using a 9mm. I also got a decent deal on the Beretta, which is why I have it specifically.

Post imported post

Most of us forgot why...

I carry what I carry because it's reliable, comfortable, and should be enough for most any situation I might get into. I started carrying the voice recorder after my little "talking to" from the Frankenmuth LEO in 7-11. The flashlight is just extremely handy, as well as being necessary if something happens in the dark. I use it all the time when my band is setting up for gigs and things like that.

Spare mags are a must. If something happens with the first magazine, or I just run out of lead, it'd be nice to have a replacement. The same justification is used for my pocket carry.

The BlackBerry... well, I love playing Brick Breaker.

Post imported post

oops forgot the why, the .357 was a buddy of My cop Brother who wanted to unload his off duty revolver and replace it with a semi auto back in 1992 So I got ot for 225.00 bucks
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

My Beretta 92-G 9mm with two lasers one intermediate and other push to lumanate is like a brother to me never leaving her little sister a bond two shot 410 with 5 round 36 caliber balls times two then there uncle H&k P-9-S- 45 acp with eight inch target barrel.What a family .Never leave the famly at home !

Post imported post

I carry my semi auto .45 in a low hanging leather holster like you'd figure you'd see on a motorcycle cop. I want a level II or III retention holster, but I can't find one that rides low enough to make sure I don't conceal it in the winter.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

ISMOID wrote:
    I carry my Taurus PT1911, 8+1 .45ACP and 2 extra 7 rnd mags in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

I forgot the "why" part...just look at it...it's beautiful. I can't walk around with that hidden from the world! I must share! :celebrate

Yeah, they're nice, minus the huge painted letters everywhere. :P

Post imported post

I carry a Springfield 1911 cocked and locked with 2 spare 8rd mags, and a S&W J-frame 38spl for a back up.

Why????? Because Irefuse to be a victim.................
    " My hat don't hang on the same nail too long, My ears can't stand to hear the same old song, I don't leave the highway long enough to bog down in the mud, i've got ramblin feaver in my blood " ..... Merle Haggard

Post imported post

i carry a 45 ruger.9 round clip.i just wanna be sure to get the job done and have a lot of power if needed.its like if you buy a sports car do you want a four cylinder or eight cylinder.but that is my own prefferance.and i shoot the 45 better then a nine our 40.

Post imported post

I almost always carry my sub-com XD .40, but on rare occasions when I'm feeling 80's drug lordish, I strap on the shoulder holster and rock the Beretta Cougar.

Post imported post

I carry a S&W 40cal Sigma, I carry this gun because of the cost, knock down power, and reliability.

Post imported post

SP. XD-40 service. or Sig 226 9mm. because my Kimber bp10 is the most accurate SINGLE-SHOT .45 I've ever owned.

Post imported post

joshuaeberly wrote:
    SP. XD-40 service. or Sig 226 9mm. because my Kimber bp10 is the most accurate SINGLE-SHOT .45 I've ever owned.
    You meant SA, Single Action?

Traverse City and Southgate, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

HK Usp compact .40

Post imported post

What:A Springfeild 1911 G.I. model .45 7 in the mag 1 in the hole. 230 grain.

Why: Why not! You can never have enough knock down power:celebrate

Post imported post

once i do start carrying...

M&P 40

if it weren't so dang heavy... my 50cal desert eagle.... lol

Post imported post

Smith and Wesson M&P 40

Banned

Post imported post

Springfeild XD compact .40 caliber

EAA witnes 10mm

Post imported post

Updated my carry to Sig P-229 Primary

Sig P-229 .40SW Large Mag Capacity and easy to shoot. I love the decocker and hammer.
    I can see quickly or feel if it is in Single or double action mode under stress.
    And I just received my new Milt Sparks Holster. See picture below the black one.

The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

I love the xd-40, kicks like a 9mm, and fits me perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast