• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry and why?

knifemaker

imported post

I thought this migfht be an interesting discussion after reading the recent posts in the open carry experiences thread.

I live in the "boonies" where bear and other critters are just as much a problem as bad guys. I also have very small hands that make it impossible to hold a large caliber auto or DA revolver properly. My 1911 has a super short trigger. Someday I'd like to modify a .44mag S&W Model 29 to fit...

So, that has led me to a highly modified Ruger Bisley Vaquero. .45 Long Colt. The grip frame has been cut and shortened, and it has a S&W target rear sight, plus a lot of accuracy mods.

Since it is a single action revolver, I practice a lot. That's the joy of the boonies, I get to shoot in my back yard!:celebrate

I feed it 280 grain cast lead that comes out the other end at 1150fps (remember the bears).

It is carried strong side in a leather "Tom Threepersons" style holster with an adjustable welt for tension and retention.

I look forward to hearing what you guys, and gals, carry.

Tim

SQLtables

imported post

I have two main configurations. One is a bit dressier than the other.

For the most part you'll see me carrying my XD-40 Service Model in a Blackhawk, and you won't see my S&W Model 637 .38spl in my Uncle Mikes #3 Sidekick pocket holster (Sometimes I carry my Keltec p3at (.380....3at... :)) in the same Uncle Mikes).

When I need to be a bit classier I carry my Sig p229 in a black leather Bianchi, and then of course it's sidekick in the Sidekick.

On top of this, I carry a SureFire flashlight on my belt and I now carry my voice recorder (thanks Frankenmuth PD :D). I also usually have at least one spare mag, sometimes two. Also, the most important tool... my BlackBerry.

ISMOID

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, U
imported post

I carry my Taurus PT1911, 8+1 .45ACP and 2 extra 7 rnd mags in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

I forgot the "why" part...just look at it...it's beautiful. I can't walk around with that hidden from the world! I must share! :celebrate

1911b1.jpg

mitunnelrat

imported post

Beretta 92FS, but I had to suspend my OC activities until I can buy a new holster and belt. I've decided it would be prudent to upgrade to a Serpa from my current thumbreak, and its time I quit using my ordinary dress belt as a piece of load bearing equipment. It rose to the challenge for some time now, but I've definitely weakened it.

A local shop sells the belts and holsters, but will have to order mine because they don't get too many Beretta customers. Once I've completed some needed repairs to my truck I'll be picking up the belt and having them order the holster. I'm thinking it will be this one due to its versatility:
http://blackhawk.com/product/STRIKE-SERPA-Combo-Kit-Beretta-ONLY,84,82.htm

Not that I plan on wearing MOLLE gear around town, but I had some given to me and use it for hiking in state game areas, so I'd get full use out of this assortment because I can tailor my carry method to my activities and location.

As for why... I learned to shoot on a large frame semi auto and I'm comfortable with using a 9mm. I also got a decent deal on the Beretta, which is why I have it specifically.

SQLtables

imported post

Most of us forgot why...

I carry what I carry because it's reliable, comfortable, and should be enough for most any situation I might get into. I started carrying the voice recorder after my little "talking to" from the Frankenmuth LEO in 7-11. The flashlight is just extremely handy, as well as being necessary if something happens in the dark. I use it all the time when my band is setting up for gigs and things like that.

Spare mags are a must. If something happens with the first magazine, or I just run out of lead, it'd be nice to have a replacement. The same justification is used for my pocket carry.

The BlackBerry... well, I love playing Brick Breaker.

pmcqueen37

imported post

oops forgot the why, the .357 was a buddy of My cop Brother who wanted to unload his off duty revolver and replace it with a semi auto back in 1992 So I got ot for 225.00 bucks

taxwhat

imported post

My Beretta 92-G 9mm with two lasers one intermediate and other push to lumanate is like a brother to me never leaving her little sister a bond two shot 410 with 5 round 36 caliber balls times two then there uncle H&k P-9-S- 45 acp with eight inch target barrel.What a family .Never leave the famly at home !

Michigander

imported post

I carry my semi auto .45 in a low hanging leather holster like you'd figure you'd see on a motorcycle cop. I want a level II or III retention holster, but I can't find one that rides low enough to make sure I don't conceal it in the winter.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ISMOID wrote:
I carry my Taurus PT1911, 8+1 .45ACP and 2 extra 7 rnd mags in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.

I forgot the "why" part...just look at it...it's beautiful. I can't walk around with that hidden from the world! I must share! :celebrate

1911b1.jpg
Yeah, they're nice, minus the huge painted letters everywhere. :p

ruger45

imported post

i carry a 45 ruger.9 round clip.i just wanna be sure to get the job done and have a lot of power if needed.its like if you buy a sports car do you want a four cylinder or eight cylinder.but that is my own prefferance.and i shoot the 45 better then a nine our 40.

Mighty

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I almost always carry my sub-com XD .40, but on rare occasions when I'm feeling 80's drug lordish, I strap on the shoulder holster and rock the Beretta Cougar.

conservative85

imported post

What:A Springfeild 1911 G.I. model .45 7 in the mag 1 in the hole. 230 grain.:cool:

Why: Why not! You can never have enough knock down power:celebrate