• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do you carry and why?

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

0317c34f7fc35960

Springfeild XD compact .40 caliber

EAA witnes 10mm

LaVere

imported post

Updated my carry to Sig P-229 Primary

Sig P-229 .40SW Large Mag Capacity and easy to shoot. I love the decocker and hammer.
I can see quickly or feel if it is in Single or double action mode under stress.
And I just received my new Milt Sparks Holster. See picture below the black one.

3161710300_2d3a7e8ee2.jpg

3177286789_519d050b8a.jpg

conservative85

imported post

I can't understand those people carrying 40's & 9's when they could be carrying a .45 ACP!

"It might bounce off a tire, it might ricochets off a windshield, but if It just nicks a whisker your going down" said the MP to the bad guy!

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Personally the .40 cal is my backup... Second as someone else posted it handles like a 9mm not a 45 and has pretty good numbers.

10mm is my primary and is a pretty hot round with double tap ammo... Pretty much no comparison in relation to a 45

conservative85

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Personally the .40 cal is my backup... Second as someone else posted it handles like a 9mm not a 45 and has pretty good numbers.

10mm is my primary and is a pretty hot round with double tap ammo... Pretty much no comparison in relation to a 45
All I know is when we were issued our 9's in the service, the pop up targets would not drop consistently even if you hit center mass, but the .45 acp you could just get the edge of the pop up and it was down, didn't need no range master with binoculars to call a hit or miss

viperar15

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
I can't understand those people carrying 40's & 9's when they could be carrying a .45 ACP!

"It might bounce off a tire, it might ricochets off a windshield, but if It just nicks a whisker your going down" said the MP to the bad guy!
as someone once stated....
"carry the largest caliber that you can safely and accuratly shoot..."

conservative85

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
conservative85 wrote:

"carry the largest caliber that you can safely and accurately shoot..."
Joke... like ha ha! Tho the Army trusted 18yr olds with the 1911A1.45ACP, oh! oh!& accurately shootdon't mean much if the two hundred fifty pound, cocaine induced, piece of crap is closing in on your comfort space . I like knock down so I can run away & hide power more than accuracy! lol

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
conservative85 wrote:

"carry the largest caliber that you can safely and accurately shoot..."
Joke... like ha ha! Tho the Army trusted 18yr olds with the 1911A1.45ACP, oh! oh!& accurately shootdon't mean much if the two hundred fifty pound, cocaine induced, piece of crap is closing in on your comfort space . I like knock down so I can run away & hide power more than accuracy! lol

Not sure when you were in but therewas no choice in 9mm or .45, in my unit anyway. They only issued the 9mm, oboy! I accept the fact that you and many others LOVE the .45 and has a proven track record of stopping power. However I personally am a numbers kinda guy... 10mm is where its at!

Caliber : .45ACP

Bullet : 185gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1225fps - 616 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

VS

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 165gr Remington Golden Saber Hollow Point

Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

And if I am to do comparisons. The .40 cal isnt far behind the .45

Caliber : .40 S&W

Bullet : Speer Gold Dot

Ballistics : 155gr. @ 1275fps / 560 ft/lbs-

Ballistics : 1225fps - 616 ft./lbs.

conservative85

imported post

Not sure when you were in but therewas no choice in 9mm or .45, in my unit anyway. They only issued the 9mm, oboy! I accept the fact that you and many others LOVE the .45 and has a proven track record of stopping power. However I personally am a numbers kinda guy... 10mm is where its at!

Ballistics : 1225fps - 616 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

VS

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 165gr Remington Golden Saber Hollow Point

Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1360fps

1988-92 some of us had 9's while the rest of us waited for the rest of our unit to receive & qualify on the 9. It's not only the stop power it is also the durability of the 45 especially the 1911A1. As far as accuracy the basic training 11's sucked but my unit 1911 I was expert qualify every time.

As some one once said "you got yourself a real statisticion there harry, is he any good"!

jwhit

imported post

Glock 23 typically, sometimes I'll carry my Glock 27 depending on the attire for the day. I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster most of the time, againalso depending on my attire I have a Don Hume Leather holster that will fit either one. I carry because I can and because I refuse to be a victim. Nice thing about the Glocks, I can carry my 27 with a spare mag from my 23and have 13 more rounds instead of 9.

dukenukum

imported post

what ? a hi-point jhp .45 auto when I first got a hi-point I thought it would trash out easy and fast :p
why ? now it's 10,00 rounds later:what: and the it still out shoots many more expensive guns . the only trouble I had was when I used some lite loads of Winchester powder in my hand loads won't do that again . sent it into hi-point for a check up got it back with a clean bill of health :lol: I admit it's ugly as sin but there is no getting around the performance .