• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

David Spade Pony's up for Police Weaponry

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Actor's $100K donation to benefit Phoenix officers

LINK

by Michael Ferraresi - Dec. 22, 2008 05:21 PM
The Arizona Republic
An unexpected Christmas donation from actor David Spade is expected to provide Phoenix police with enough money to buy an additional 50 semi-automatic rifles for patrol officers in 2009.
The $100,000 gift announced Monday means as many as 300 officers could soon be armed with Bushmaster AR-15s, even in light of recent debates between police and union officials about the availability of the high-powered weapons during the city's ongoing budget strife.
Advocates said the need to arm more patrol officers with rifles has only grown since union officials proposed in 2006 that officers should be allowed to buy their rifles if the city is unable to provide them. Police leaders met recently on the issue but have yet to expand the self-purchase policy beyond handguns and shotguns. OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
Spade, a Scottsdale Saguaro High School graduate, provided the money to a non-profit police foundation after seeing a jarring television news report about gun violence. Police leaders said Spade told them he was inspired to help keep the community safe.
The comic-turned-movie star provided the check to Phoenix Police Chief Jack Harris early Monday but did not appear at the press conference. The Phoenix Police Foundation expects to use the $100,000 on rifles.
Spade also donated $25,000 last year after the line of duty death of Phoenix Officer Nick Erfle, an incident where tactical officers used an AR-15 to fatally shoot at the man suspected of his slaying, who was holding a hostage at gunpoint.
"I'm thankful someone like David Spade would remember his hometown and help increase the safety of officers on the street," said Harris, who joined Mayor Phil Gordon and other leaders Monday to accept Spade's check at Desert Horizon Precinct in northeast Phoenix.
Police SWAT and tactical response officers are most commonly trained to use assault rifles. However, patrol officers are often the first to encounter criminals with heavy weaponry, police say.
Gordon said Spade's gift was welcome during the difficult economic times, and that it would help the city send a message to criminals, "that our officers shouldn't be the ones they go after."
More than 120 Phoenix patrol officers currently have access to rifles. More than 100 more have been ordered or could be shifted to patrol from other units.
Mark Spencer, president for the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said more officers who apply to use rifles could be trained in the next six months.

———
At first I read this and I thought "Well, good for him and good for them." I know the drug-running from Mexico is a big problem in AZ. The more and more I think about it, the more I'm conflicted here. I'm wondering how Spade feels about citizens being armed. I'm particularly perturbed at the comment by the Mayor, Gordon, saying that Criminals ought not to go after Policemen. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure his position should be that Criminals ought not to go after anyone.

I'm also wondering why it's gonna cost $100K to buy 50 AR-15's. I need to get into that business LOL.

nitrovic

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
Actor's $100K donation to benefit Phoenix officers

LINK

by Michael Ferraresi - Dec. 22, 2008 05:21 PM
The Arizona Republic
An unexpected Christmas donation from actor David Spade is expected to provide Phoenix police with enough money to buy an additional 50 semi-automatic rifles for patrol officers in 2009.
The $100,000 gift announced Monday means as many as 300 officers could soon be armed with Bushmaster AR-15s, even in light of recent debates between police and union officials about the availability of the high-powered weapons during the city's ongoing budget strife.
Advocates said the need to arm more patrol officers with rifles has only grown since union officials proposed in 2006 that officers should be allowed to buy their rifles if the city is unable to provide them. Police leaders met recently on the issue but have yet to expand the self-purchase policy beyond handguns and shotguns. OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
Spade, a Scottsdale Saguaro High School graduate, provided the money to a non-profit police foundation after seeing a jarring television news report about gun violence. Police leaders said Spade told them he was inspired to help keep the community safe.
The comic-turned-movie star provided the check to Phoenix Police Chief Jack Harris early Monday but did not appear at the press conference. The Phoenix Police Foundation expects to use the $100,000 on rifles.
Spade also donated $25,000 last year after the line of duty death of Phoenix Officer Nick Erfle, an incident where tactical officers used an AR-15 to fatally shoot at the man suspected of his slaying, who was holding a hostage at gunpoint.
"I'm thankful someone like David Spade would remember his hometown and help increase the safety of officers on the street," said Harris, who joined Mayor Phil Gordon and other leaders Monday to accept Spade's check at Desert Horizon Precinct in northeast Phoenix.
Police SWAT and tactical response officers are most commonly trained to use assault rifles. However, patrol officers are often the first to encounter criminals with heavy weaponry, police say.
Gordon said Spade's gift was welcome during the difficult economic times, and that it would help the city send a message to criminals, "that our officers shouldn't be the ones they go after."
More than 120 Phoenix patrol officers currently have access to rifles. More than 100 more have been ordered or could be shifted to patrol from other units.
Mark Spencer, president for the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said more officers who apply to use rifles could be trained in the next six months.

———
At first I read this and I thought "Well, good for him and good for them." I know the drug-running from Mexico is a big problem in AZ. The more and more I think about it, the more I'm conflicted here. I'm wondering how Spade feels about citizens being armed. I'm particularly perturbed at the comment by the Mayor, Gordon, saying that Criminals ought not to go after Policemen. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure his position should be that Criminals ought not to go after anyone.

I'm also wondering why it's gonna cost $100K to buy 50 AR-15's. I need to get into that business LOL.

I know Phoenix was having issues with a bunch of criminal contact with Ak-47's. The drug runners are really well armed out there.

I agree, 100K is about twice as much as it should be.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

They could easily spend $1,000+ per officer for training, just in ammo.

When I was at Ft Benning we had a training cadre tell us it cost the US Army $18,000 per recruit in ammo and ordinance alone during our training in boot camp. That was back around the mid '80s.

imported post

Last year, the wife and I drove ALL THE WAY TO JOHNSON CITY, TN to visit her daughter at ETSU and attend a Jeff Foxworthy concert. At the last minute, Jeff had cancelled and they brought in David Spade.
Aside from the fact ETSU's version of "Homeland Security" attempted to frisk me to gain entrance, I found David Spade to be a foul-mouthed, low life person. That entire evening was a waste of both time and money. THEY should have paid ME to sit through this so-called "entertainment."

nitrovic

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Last year, the wife and I drove ALL THE WAY TO JOHNSON CITY, TN to visit her daughter at ETSU and attend a Jeff Foxworthy concert. At the last minute, Jeff had cancelled and they brought in David Spade.
Aside from the fact ETSU's version of "Homeland Security" attempted to frisk me to gain entrance, I found David Spade to be a foul-mouthed, low life person. That entire evening was a waste of both time and money. THEY should have paid ME to sit through this so-called "entertainment."

Can't disagree with you on the comedy aspect. Foxworthy to Spade, I would want my money back.:lol:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
———

I know Phoenix was having issues with a bunch of criminal contact with Ak-47's. The drug runners are really well armed out there.

I agree, 100K is about twice as much as it should be.
Anyone in Arizona who may bear arms if not otherwise prohibited (felons/foreigners, etc) may do so. CWP required to conceal. Open carry is no problem (anywhere usually) The drug cartels are creeping into the state... Major problems in Nogales 'n Agua Prieta... dunno 'bout San Luis. The cartls are sendin' in hit men... Dunno if they've been stiffed or just eliminating competition... but it's happening all over. Phoenix ain't 'on the border' either. I can see Mexico (the mountains) from my veranda to the south.

Dustin

imported post

Fully Set up AR15's cost $2,000 a piece.

2,000 x 50 = 100,000.

AR15 - 1,000

Red Dot - MARS- ACOG - most sites like these run $600 to $800

Then Rail Systems, maybe even some scopes for a few of them.

I think 100,000 is about right.

Eitherway, Screw David Spade and the horse he rode in on for doing this.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

Sorry to say but PD cost on a Bushmaster Ar-15 with Eotech,extra mags,ammo,and case. Is around $950. I know for a fact! prices may have changed as that was the price last summer when I got mine.:cool:

If you realy want to cry you should see what they get the HK 416 for. And then sell the upper as civilans can't have the lowers. And uppers sell for around $5,000.

nitrovic

imported post

M16a2 wrote:
Sorry to say but PD cost on a Bushmaster Ar-15 with Eotech,extra mags,ammo,and case. Is around $950. I know for a fact! prices may have changed as that was the price last summer when I got mine. :cool:

If you realy want to cry you should see what they get the HK 416 for. And then sell the upper as civilans can't have the lowers. And uppers sell for around $5,000.

Same prices for us. They are usually around $1200.

Gordie

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Eitherway, Screw David Spade and the horse he rode in on for doing this.
mark edward marchiafava wrote:
My already dismal opinion of David Spade has sunk to an all time low, if that's possible.

I don't understand the reason people are mad at David Spade over this. What, are you jealous that he didn't buy one for you? How is this harming anyone? It's his money, let him do what he wants with it.

Would you rather the police take on drug cartels armed with AK-47s, with their sidearms? If that is your battle plan that you intend to use, all that I can say is "Good luck with that."

Yes it's true that people from Mexico have been crossing the border and firing on our people, sometimes wearing the uniform of the Mexican Army. I know people that live close to the border and they say it is getting scarier all the time.

Gordie

imported post

M16a2 wrote:
Sorry to say but PD cost on a Bushmaster Ar-15 with Eotech,extra mags,ammo,and case. Is around $950. I know for a fact! prices may have changed as that was the price last summer when I got mine.:cool:

Don't forget training and ammo costs. The article says that this will provide for about 300 officers. If you figure $50,000 for the rifles, you get about $167 a pieceper officer for training and ammo. Even if you could get the rifles for $25,000, you would still only be looking at $250per officerfor training and ammo.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Interesting to see those who don't live on/near the border badmouthing this 'gift'.

Point of fact: 'There'sa war goin' on in these parts.' A real one. 'Just 'cause it's under-reported doesn't make it any less deadly. Reality sucks... but there it is.

PT111

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Interesting to see those who don't live on/near the border badmouthing this 'gift'.

Point of fact: 'There'sa war goin' on in these parts.' A real one. 'Just 'cause it's under-reported doesn't make it any less deadly. Reality sucks... but there it is.

I just figure that some people hate LEO so much that anyone who helps them or approves of anything they doo fall into the same pot. Or ait may be that they are afraid that they police may have as much firepower as they do when they try to arrest them.

The some people justlove to complain about everything.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:

I don't mind police having enough fire-power to deal with this "war."

I only object to militarization of police, specifically police having more firepower and other LE-only equipment than the citizenry. On balance-of-power grounds.

The proper solution would be to give all interested citizens the same fire-power, or at least not prohibit them from obtaining it.

Let the drug gangs run into asquad of pissed of Texans with full-auto rifles and they'll rethink crossing the border real quick.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Therre's no such restrictions on 'Assault type weapons' in Arizona. I own both popular flavors. I could wander around with 'em slung... loaded 'n chambered if I had a mind to. 'Dif'rint mindset here.