• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

David Spade Pony's up for Police Weaponry

AZkopper

imported post

Gordie wrote:

I don't understand the reason people are mad at David Spade over this. What, are you jealous that he didn't buy one for you? How is this harming anyone? It's his money, let him do what he wants with it.

Would you rather the police take on drug cartels armed with AK-47s, with their sidearms? If that is your battle plan that you intend to use, all that I can say is "Good luck with that."

Yes it's true that people from Mexico have been crossing the border and firing on our people, sometimes wearing the uniform of the Mexican Army. I know people that live close to the border and they say it is getting scarier all the time.

+1

Like him or hate him (I'm not to fond of him actor/comedian-wise) Spade is a native Arizonian and VERY pro LEO (a rarity in the Hollywood set).

Those of you who are saying $100K should buy more, you need to remember that that value is not just for a rifle.

Even if they spent $1000 for an outfitted rifle (50x1000=$50,000), they need several hundred rounds perofficerfor the training/certification.

That money also might be including training the 300 additional officers in a Patrol Rifle course. That is a 2 day course, which could incur overtime to replace officers in the field while they train.

Lets try to be grateful that he's giving back to his community, as Sonora Rebel said, there's a war going on in the south of our state.

Flintlock

imported post

While I don't have any real issue with the police forces in that region packing semi-automatic rifles to combat the illegal border invaders and drug smugglers, I have a serious problem with how it is being conducted. Firstly, it is evident that Arizona or at least that locality has a serious budget problem if they are not prioritizing equiping their police with the necessary tools to do their jobs as safely as possible.

Secondly, I would have a lot more repect for David Spade if he armed some of the citizenry that lived on the border, orfunded the Minuteman Project for a year or something of that sort. Maybe used his fame and fortune to push for strengthened border security at the federal level.

If someone is going to make a "donation," I am not understanding making a donation to government, rather than to a charity or a group of fellow citizens. These are not war bonds he is buying. They need to better prioritize their budgetsand not rely on outside financial sources.

nitrovic

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Interesting to see those who don't live on/near the border badmouthing this 'gift'. 

Point of fact:  'There's a war goin' on in these parts.'  A real one. 'Just 'cause it's under-reported doesn't make it any less deadly. Reality sucks... but there it is.

I don't mind police having enough fire-power to deal with this "war."

I only object to militarization of police, specifically police having more firepower and other LE-only equipment than the citizenry.  On balance-of-power grounds. 

The proper solution would be to give all interested citizens the same fire-power, or at least not prohibit them from obtaining it.

Let the drug gangs run into a squad of pissed of Texans with full-auto rifles and they'll rethink crossing the border real quick.

You can buy the exact same AR15 the police have. Are you talking about Arizona in particular?

smash29

imported post

Citizen wrote

Let the drug gangs run into asquad of pissed of Texans with full-auto rifles and they'll rethink crossing the border real quick.
Ha, this kind of remind me of the book I'm currently reading on the origins of the Texas Rangers and their part in the war with Mexico. Seems that a determined, organized, and armed group of Texans is never something to be messed with.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Mine has an M-16 upper... pre-ban. Aimpoint, 30 round mags... Delta stock... whatever I want'a do do with it. 'Same for the AK. 'Buy 'em most anywhere. If ya have an AZ CWP... no 'checks'... no waiting.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

What 'state militia' would that be? You don't like cops... or authority Mark, that's kind'a obvious. You dunno the situation here either. I s'pose you'd advocate 'Vigilante's'... but altho that's a nice idea... 'Can't do that either. Otherwise we'd be doin' it.

smash29

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
While I don't have any real issue with the police forces in that region packing semi-automatic rifles to combat the illegal border invaders and drug smugglers, I have a serious problem with how it is being conducted. Firstly, it is evident that Arizona or at least that locality has a serious budget problem if they are not prioritizing equiping their police with the necessary tools to do their jobs as safely as possible.

Secondly, I would have a lot more repect for David Spade if he armed some of the citizenry that lived on the border, orfunded the Minuteman Project for a year or something of that sort. Maybe used his fame and fortune to push for strengthened border security at the federal level.

If someone is going to make a "donation," I am not understanding making a donation to government, rather than to a charity or a group of fellow citizens. These are not war bonds he is buying. They need to better prioritize their budgetsand not rely on outside financial sources.
OK, not trying to start any kind of argument here, but is this any different from citizens trying to help better equip our troops overseas who are shortchanged as a result of poor gov't planning and budgeting? All of your points are valid and I agree that more could be done but I don't see a problem with helping the "good guys" on the front lines. They don't do the budgeting, they just live with the consequences.

Just a thought....

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
What 'state militia' would that be? You don't like cops... or authority Mark, that's kind'a obvious. You dunno the situation here either. I s'pose you'd advocate 'Vigilante's'... but altho that's a nice idea... 'Can't do that either. Otherwise we'd be doin' it.
The very one mentioned in the US constitution.
It's just I don't care for any group so diametrically opposed to the principles which serve as the foundation of the constitution. Authority? LOL, we ARE the authority, a point most sheeple today fail to comprehend.
You don't know what I know, so please don't assume on my behalf.
Vigilantes? No.
Better equip our troops overseas? Good grief, no. Wanna support them? Bring them home, disband the concept of a worldwide occupation force, dismantle the empire.
It's a win/win situation, the only loser being the folks who benefit from empire-building. HINT: it's not any of us here.
WE are the good guys on the front line, wake up to that fact and quit expecting "government" to do everything for you.

Flintlock

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

OK, not trying to start any kind of argument here, but is this any different from citizens trying to help better equip our troops overseas who are shortchanged as a result of poor gov't planning and budgeting? All of your points are valid and I agree that more could be done but I don't see a problem with helping the "good guys" on the front lines. They don't do the budgeting, they just live with the consequences.

Just a thought....

I understand what you are saying, I am not blaming the police or even the citizens. I am blaming the government (both state and local)for an obvious mis-allocation of resources if they can't afford to buy 50 AR-15's for their police forces. That to me is just absurd with all of the wasteful spendingthat no-doubt occurs.

Secondly, it's just not the way I would have gone about it if I was wealthy enough to donate 100 grand to that cause. I outlined some other potential options that I would have considered before that. I don't find it the same as sending gloves, Camelbacks, or Blackhawk holsters to your son in Iraq because they have been shortchanged. This is a government entity getting this money, not any particular individual.

This is all a moot point anyway if the executive branchadhered to their oath of office and enforced Article IV, Section IV of the US Constitution. At least, that is my humble opinion.

smash29

imported post

Interesting discussion for the most part. I was at a loss to understand the anti-Spade comments at first because I had thought that if I ever became wealthy a donation to local law enforcement might be a good thing but I can now see how other options may be pursued as well.

imported post

It's no big secret the "law enforcement" community is the one group which is most likely to violate persons on this board. Forget the Iraqis, the North Koreans, the Russians, etc. When you read an account on this site of an OC person being violated, which ONE group is responsible for that act of aggression?
If any one group is going to violate YOUR rights, bet your last federal reserve note they'll be of American descent.
That said, why would anyone want to donate to the very group most eager/anxious to violate YOU?

smash29

imported post

I would guess that my thought process is the way it is because I know a few officers and think of law enforcement on a personal level and not as a malevolent faceless entity determined to rob me of my rights. Everybody has their own opinions based on their own personal experiences so that's just this simpletons $.02 view.

imported post

Contrary to what some may think, I'm not trying to be argumentative but informative, instead. My comments have some 30 years' worth of firsthand encounters with the "law enforcement" community.
Here are several of my fondest favorites.
After having refused the return of my revolver for several weeks, in direct violation of the rule of law, Gonzales police captain Sammy Pasqua bragged about being a lifetime member of the NRA. He seemed to be a likeable enough fellow, yet he had no qualms about violating me, personally.
His chief, Bill Landry, who's "policies" instigated this entire situation, failed to honor his oath of office after the fact. Instead of conforming his behavior to follow the state constitution, he reportedly met with the agents of Tanger Outlet Mall and asked them to ban the carry of weapons on their property. Since there are no signs to carry out his personal wishes, it appears they turned him down.
I could write a book on the criminal behavior/Gestapo mentality of the "law enforcement" community. Why anyone with half a functioning brain, ESPECIALLY gun owners, would want to further empower them, literally, is beyond my capacity to understand.

nitrovic

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Interesting discussion for the most part.  I was at a loss to understand the anti-Spade comments at first because I had thought that if I ever became wealthy a donation to local law enforcement might be a good thing but I can now see how other options may be pursued as well. 

I thought it was pretty good of him (Spade) as well. Not a big fan of his comedy, but I'm sure he's not a fan of my comedy either.:lol:

nitrovic

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Contrary to what some may think, I'm not trying to be argumentative but informative, instead. My comments have some 30 years' worth of firsthand encounters with the "law enforcement" community.
Here are several of my fondest  favorites.
After having refused the return of my revolver for several weeks, in direct violation of the rule of law, Gonzales police captain Sammy Pasqua bragged about being a lifetime member of the NRA. He seemed to be a likeable enough fellow, yet he had no qualms about violating me, personally.
His chief, Bill Landry, who's "policies" instigated this entire situation, failed to honor his oath of office after the fact. Instead of conforming his behavior to follow the state constitution, he reportedly met with the agents of Tanger Outlet Mall and asked them to ban the carry of weapons on their property. Since there are no signs to carry out his personal wishes, it appears they turned him down.
I could write a book on the criminal behavior/Gestapo mentality of the "law enforcement" community. Why anyone with half a functioning brain, ESPECIALLY gun owners, would want to further empower them, literally, is beyond my capacity to understand.

I think the "gestapo" comment is a "tad" out of line. I understand you have had some bad encounters with some officers, but let's not resort to "gestapo" comments.

imported post

No, the Gestapo label is not out of line, but very well deserved. Obviously, you either have had next to no contact with the "law enforcement" community or you do as most Amerikans: turn a blind eye to their criminal behavior. With all this information available at their very fingertips, it's discouraging to know most people around me choose to remain blissfully ignorant of what's taking place.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mark has higher standards than most people for how police should behave. I don't know that I entirely disagree with his conclusions.

With that said,Mark, I recommend not lightingNitrovic's fuze. It willjust be a long argument and will getnowhere.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
SNIP...it's discouraging to know most people around me choose to remain blissfully ignorant of what's taking place.

Its part of the human condition.

Its why they need people to coax them, incite them, lead them.

Being bitter about it will just give you heartburn and, well, bitterness.

Save the anger for the bad cops, bad government, and the nasty people behind the situation overall.