• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Women, Girls, and guns

Squid13

imported post

My 7 year old girl seems nervous about guns, but my 5 year old daughter asks questions constantly. I guess both are reasons to keep them educated. I don't want the one to be afraid of guns, and I want the other to be safe and not think of a gun as an object of mystery.

KE7QXB

imported post

My wife is afraid of guns but she is willing to go to the range with me. I hope in time she will be comfortable with the idea. I have shown her how to load and unload the revolver. And told her some of the range rules. She is smart and picks up on this stuff pretty easy. All in all I would say she is gonna do fine. I will of course try to always be there with her until she feels totally comfortable with it. I have yet to meet a lady that openly carries. Its too bad there aren't more. They are just as skilled and convincing with a gun as anyone else. I hope more wives and daughters pick them up and use them. They just may save your life.

When seconds count, We arejust minutes away

We don't dial 911, but we do dial the gun safe!

BradAnderson

imported post

countrychic_262009 wrote:
Hey, her family should be very proud of her... she is really smart, and it takes a lot of guts to do what she is doing. We all have to do what we can to protect our rights. Personally, I believe that every woman should be ready, willing and able to defend herself against any sort of threat, because there aren't always gonna be a man around to protect us from the bad guys, and we shouldn't have to depend on a man for protection anyway... No offense guys... but I won't apologize for my beliefs either.:quirky

It's also pretty naiveif women think that thatbeing with aman means being safe-- particularly against multiple armed attackers;though it might help deter criminalsfrom attacking in the first place, it also mightNOT.Alternatively if you'reBOTH armed, it will increase the benefit.

Ifmen should carry, it makes even MOREsense for women. Safety is 99% about knowledge, and this is just a fact that everyone should know.

It's a fact that men are attacked more oftenthan women, but this is because men buy into a false sense of security that women don't. However too many women allow a traditional fear of guns, stop them from also taking action.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I cannot belive the arrogance of these old white men in the federal government,my 98 pound 18 year old sister who was born in Va cannot buy a handgun in this so called land of the free??? Someone expline that one ,all things must change but when the 18-20 population is looked down upon because they are younger and cannot defend themselves what are they going to do against a 300 pound attacker on meth????????????

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I cannot belive the arrogance of these old white men in the federal government,my 98 pound 18 year old sister who was born in Va cannot buy a handgun in this so called land of the free??? Someone expline that one ,all things must change but when the 18-20 population is looked down upon because they are younger and cannot defend themselves what are they going to do against a 300 pound attacker on meth????????????
Not so fast.... Ages 18-20 can own firearms in Virginia. What they cannot do is obtain a concealed permit or purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer. They can purchase firearms from private individuals and can Open Carry legally.

IM me if your sister wants help finding a safe face to face sale in VA. :cool:

Bustelo5%

imported post

Well she can use my Hi point 45,but trust me I apperciate the offer and if ever need be I will hit you up.
I guess the main concern is LEOS detaining my little sister ont he pretext that she is not 21 and having a handgun is stupid but probable.
I almost wanna get her a shot gun she can Oc around theres no way you need a license or permit for that,its complete bs.

Also I dont even wanna inform the local PD to even findout if they know its legal .

Archsgurl

imported post

I was raised around guns my whole life, with uncles who went hunting alot, unfortunately I was never allowed to go cause girls didnt hunt. *grumbles about male chauvanistic values of the '70s* Anyway, I was still taught gun safety and how to shoot, I bought my first rifle at 18 and have owned guns ever since. I think it is great to watch the next generation of young girls actually get to go hunting with their dads and uncles and embrace guns like their brothers are and during my childhood were encouraged to do.

My 2 daughters and 1 son were raised around guns, my oldest doesnt like them but has no problem with them at all being OC,CC or in the house, which is a good thing since she is married to a Marine. :lol:

My 2 youngest have their own .22 rifles and love guns, know about the safety of guns and are looking forward to being old enough to OC.

I agree more women,girls need to be introduced and encouraged to learn about guns and encouraged to carry, more we carry, the more the guns are bad stigma will go down. Luckily here in Alaska, seeing OC is so normal, I think my kids only notice if it is a gun they have never seen before. LOL

MSC 45ACP

My daughter is, and I'm not being predjudiced a very beautiful girl. Been told on numerous occasions she should have been a model. She's also very accurate, carries a Taurus :D 9MM. She was raised with and knows gun safety and will also not blink if it comes to her self defense. She tells other women, if you can't pull the trigger when the need becomes apparant don't carry the gun.

Only one problem with your daughter carrying that I can see... She isn't carrying "enough gun". My daughter carries a .45 cal Glock 21SF. She's quite good with it.

Here's what she says about 9mm's: "Why hit someone with a tennis racket if you could use a baseball bat instead?"

since9

Campaign Veteran
Here's what she says about 9mm's: "Why hit someone with a tennis racket if you could use a baseball bat instead?"

First, that's just disingenuously misrepresentative of the comparative firepower of these two calibers. Second, if you're teaching someone this drivel, you're to be doubly shamed!

Third, I'm very accomplished with both a .45 cal and a 9 mm, and can put 50% more knockdown on target in 3 seconds time with a 9 mm than I can with a .45 cal. The reason is that the 9 mm has less recoil and is therefore more controllable than the .45 cal, a key consideration not only for women, who on average possess less strength than men, but for all shooters, particularly in a firefight when a gun is less than useless if you can't control it.

One of these days I'm going to buy a leg of lamb, shoot it with my 9 mm, and post the results here, preferrably with my fist buried half way up to my elbow, in hopes of convincing some of you naysayers aka .45 addicts that a 9 mm carrying the right load isn't a "tennis racket."

yooperlady

65 year old

Hello all:

I am a 65 year old woman who loves to shoot pistol. I know most of you would not approve of me carrying a .22 smith n wesson pistol. But I believe that a woman should carry the size pistol they can handle. If I am going to shoot something larger and the recoil is so bad that I miss my target, then what is the use.

By the time I shoot 8 rounds, center mass someone is going to be hurting. Maybe I could shoot 7 rounds and the last round to the head. But who knows what will happen, or how you will shoot when the real thing approaches you.

yooperlady here from Michigan.
wishing all a nice evening. :D

opusd2

I'm sold. I'm all for self-sufficient women who aren't squeamish by what it takes to survive. My X was a Liberal who thought I was just paranoid, even though one night I chased off a couple of punks who were trying to break into the house. She slept through it all and just chalked it up to some delusion by me. Sure.

I don't regret saving her bacon even though she took me hard through that stretched out divorce. We were married and I did what I promised her dad I'd do, I took care of her and I never regretted it. Well, except after this one hearing...

Now she lives in a much worse area. I hope the Police are just down the street and have nothing better to do.

Dreamer

Since9, and yooperlady,

I don't care which caliber you carry. I have no doubt that either of you would be effective with whatever you were carrying if you needed to defend yourself. Wouldn't matter if it was a .22 or a 9mm or a .45acp--I have no doubt you would emerge from any self-defense situation safe and victorious. Attitude, training, accuracy, and resolve are WAY more important than caliber of projectiles, and you seem to have those qualities by the truckload!

You go, girls!

Carry what you're comfortable with. What's important is that you carry, are well trained, and mentally equipped to defend yourself. Keep up the good work, and hopefully your positive attitudes will spread to your other female friends and acquaintances.

B

Bikenut

Since9, and yooperlady,

I don't care which caliber you carry. I have no doubt that either of you would be effective with whatever you were carrying if you needed to defend yourself. Wouldn't matter if it was a .22 or a 9mm or a .45acp--I have no doubt you would emerge from any self-defense situation safe and victorious. Attitude, training, accuracy, and resolve are WAY more important than caliber of projectiles, and you seem to have those qualities by the truckload!

You go, girls!

Carry what you're comfortable with. What's important is that you carry, are well trained, and mentally equipped to defend yourself. Keep up the good work, and hopefully your positive attitudes will spread to your other female friends and acquaintances.

I just read your post to Yooperlady and she told me to thank you for her....

so...

consider yourself thanked by Yooperlady!:D

By the way..... I would NOT want to be a bad guy trying to hurt Yooperlady... it would be a very bad day for the bad guy.

XD40coyote

You mean you don't have the 10 shot model 617? OMG! LOL
BTW I do have the 10 shot model 617, bought it for shooting lil naughty critters, and I am quite good with it. I'm a much better shot with this gun than my 9mm and .40. However I do **** the hammer back so it's a short crisp single action type pull ( gun is dbl action). Now if I could just get as good with the 9mm and .40...
Hello all:

I am a 65 year old woman who loves to shoot pistol. I know most of you would not approve of me carrying a .22 smith n wesson pistol. But I believe that a woman should carry the size pistol they can handle. If I am going to shoot something larger and the recoil is so bad that I miss my target, then what is the use.

By the time I shoot 8 rounds, center mass someone is going to be hurting. Maybe I could shoot 7 rounds and the last round to the head. But who knows what will happen, or how you will shoot when the real thing approaches you.

yooperlady here from Michigan.
wishing all a nice evening. :D

XD40coyote

In general reply to this thread, I had the misfortune of having to deal with a man this week who must have been very insecure about his manhood. He was all over me asking why I carry, asking of all sorts of possible encounters with criminals and how I'd react, and even said that open carry scares people, and " what if I tried to steal your gun?". It was borderline harrassment. This man is not a complete stranger, but co owner of a restaurant me and the folks like to go to alot. I kept my cool, but I have been ticked off ever since. He basically was saying " women and guns don't work together, I don't like women with guns, and oh yeah I think open carry is stupid".

Now I don't OC much when I go into PA, but what if I started doing it every time? Am I to expect to run into more men like this? I mean what a freakin annoying thing to deal with...

At least none of the men who I have as taxidermy customers start into some BS like this. Well they are taking their dead animal to a woman, so I guess the preresiquite to OC harrassment of females is to be a chauvanistic type who would also not use a female taxidermist in the 1st place.

Dreamer

He basically was saying " women and guns don't work together, I don't like women with guns, and oh yeah I think open carry is stupid".

Sounds like he is one of those putzes who thinks the only things a woman should be carrying are her shoes and a "bun in the oven"...

Take your business elsewhere, I say...

frommycolddeadhands

My wife is afraid of guns but she is willing to go to the range with me. I hope in time she will be comfortable with the idea. I have shown her how to load and unload the revolver. And told her some of the range rules. She is smart and picks up on this stuff pretty easy. All in all I would say she is gonna do fine. I will of course try to always be there with her until she feels totally comfortable with it. I have yet to meet a lady that openly carries.

My wife started out the same way. When we first got married she was extremely gun shy and firearms scared her. I started showing her the small things like how to check and see it it was loaded, how to unload it, how to clean it, etc. After a while she became more comforatable with it. Then she started going to the range with me a few times.

She still doesn't carry in public, although she does carry around the house and in the immediate area around our house. She just doesn't like the attention of OCing. I told her I'd get her a CCW and her own gun. She said she prefers mine. :)

yooperlady

Good for her!

My wife started out the same way. When we first got married she was extremely gun shy and firearms scared her. I started showing her the small things like how to check and see it it was loaded, how to unload it, how to clean it, etc. After a while she became more comforatable with it. Then she started going to the range with me a few times.

She still doesn't carry in public, although she does carry around the house and in the immediate area around our house. She just doesn't like the attention of OCing. I told her I'd get her a CCW and her own gun. She said she prefers mine. :)

Good for her if something were to happen she would at least know how to defend herself..so many women don't even know how to handle a gun.

I oc sometimes, not all the time. I probably should because I am sure that when we do (us women) it tells the bad guy that we are not their target and they need to run away as fast as they can. Because a woman is going to protect what is hers, whether it is her children, her mate, or herself. And when you get a mother mad look out...she can be just as mean and vindictive as a mother bear. She will tear you apart limb to limb.

I think bikenut would protect me but then who knows..at least I can do it myself.

I think that women get more attention when ocing then men do...women rule!!!! :banana: :banana: Just remember the bad guy will think twice before attacking you when you have the gun on your hip....I feel better about it and yes I would love to see more women open carrying...it doesn't matter the age... 5 to 100..we all need that since of security.

Have a nice day....we do deserve that!!!!

WOMEN RULE!!!!!:monkey

Last edited: