• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does "Open Carry" really mean?

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you ChanFufor helping me to recognise my shortcomings. From now on I will not be without a back up penis. What was I thinking?

Hcidem

imported post

Open carry IS our second amendment in action. Concealed carry is a regulated privilege. There is a definite difference here that ChanFuseems to misunderstand.

Our other rights are not subject to social approval. Our right to self defense should never be placed under such limitations as well.

In Michigan, our state constitutionstates "Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state." This is much clearer than our federal Constitution.Michigan's original constitution was modelled according to the Northwest Ordinance. Because of this, many states (younger than Virginia) share similar verbage in their constitutions.

A common understanding of our civil rights must preceed discussing any of the issues ChanFuraises. I would bet most of those issues would disappear if we shared more common ground on our rights.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

shenanigans.jpg

Orygunner

imported post

When I carried a Taurus PT111 (sub-compact 9mm) I was prepared for the accusation "you're just carrying a gun to compensate for yourmanhood."

My planned comback was "Yeah, I carry this small gun to compensate for my large one." ;)

...Orygunner...

tsannicolas

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
Is it an affirmation of our Second Amendment rights?

Or something more interesting? Since I'm the newbie here, I challenge you old timers to validate doing it. Not the RIGHT to do it, but just doing it. Are we simply expressing and validating the RIGHT or are we being totally offensive, scary idjit, frightening little kids in harmless places like public restaurants? Seriously! Are we simply encouraging challenges? It's for damn sure we're not "protecting" ourselves. I've never read about anyone being mugged while eating a chicken sandwich or trying on a pair of jeans in JC Penneys. Am I missing something, or is this public display of cold steel penises just another ruse?

Sure, we CAN strap on our Iron Dildos, but do we need to do that just to prove we CAN? I have a CCP and can carry open (I live in Va.) , but hell - I hardly EVER do it. There's just no need unless I'm venturing into unknown territory and there's damn little of that around these parts. So what is it? I support open carry and CC, but what am I supposed to do to demonstrate that? Pack double 1911's open on my belt, double CZ2075's under my belt and double NA .380's on my ankles? If I fell into a mud puddle with alll that iron, I'd frikkin' drown!

I walked into a 7-11 the other day with my Taurus 1911 holstered after a trip to the range. The poor Indian lady who was tending the counter noticed it and almost fainted. People are scared of people. And people are scared of guns. But people are more scared of people with guns. So don't be scary. Carry concealed and just forget you're doing it - don't scare people and don't focus on your goddam gun. Let it be something like a swiss army knife that's there when you need it, not something that you think about all the time.

I'm trying to figure this place out, so forgive me if I've over-reacted.
Are you going to respond to anything?

shad0wfax

imported post

FogRider wrote:
ChanFu wrote:
...I'm trying to figure this place out...
Are you? Are you really? The nonsense in the rest of your post makes me question this statement, so forgive me if I call shenanigans.
And some of his other posts have been blatant trolls. I'm calling shenanigans and I'm not begging forgiveness.

Crestliner

imported post

Hello Folks. I'm new to this forum and live in Massachusetts. I've had my LTC for nearly 40 years and have concealed carried for most of that time. I envy you folks that do have the "privilege" to open carry. In this state, it's technically "legal" to do so, but is frowned upon by law enforcement; due to the "intimidation" aspect. Yeah, you heard it right. Open carry is view to intimidate law abiding citizens, therefore, if you have a LTC, you'd best do it concealed. Or, you will be stopped, questioned, intimidated yourself! So be happy to enjoy your rights.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Crestliner wrote:
I envy you folks that do have the "privilege" to open carry.
Last I looked OC is NOT a "privilege", it is a right, that "shall not be infringed."

They can harass all they want, my rights are my rights.

If any of us can be of assistance in helping you move your life HQ back into the free world please let us know.

Regards

tsannicolas

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Crestliner wrote:
I envy you folks that do have the "privilege" to open carry.
Last I looked OC is NOT a "privilege", it is a right, that "shall not be infringed."

They can harass all they want, my rights are my rights.

If any of us can be of assistance in helping you move your life HQ back into the free world please let us know.

Regards
notice he used quotation marks for privilege - i believe he knows it's a right

Hcidem

imported post

Crestliner wrote:
Hello Folks. I'm new to this forum and live in Massachusetts. I've had my LTC for nearly 40 years and have concealed carried for most of that time. I envy you folks that do have the "privilege" to open carry. In this state, it's technically "legal" to do so, but is frowned upon by law enforcement; due to the "intimidation" aspect. Yeah, you heard it right. Open carry is view to intimidate law abiding citizens, therefore, if you have a LTC, you'd best do it concealed. Or, you will be stopped, questioned, intimidated yourself! So be happy to enjoy your rights.

Welcome to the OCDO forum, Crestliner. Your comments clearly define where the struggle for our rights begin - the place where legality and open opposition encounter one another.

OC is all about perception when it comes down to it. Whether we like it or not, perception of legality, intimidation, etc. is what we struggle against when we choose to open carry.

I have always thought it ironic that MA is so restrictive on the very liberties its ancestors had fought so hard to establish. I hope you and your fellow citizens can gain some ground against the anti-OC mentality.

By the way, you have a beautiful state. My family have passed through MA several times while on vacation, and always regret that we have only spent a long day at best exploring your parks and communities.

Crestliner

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Crestliner wrote:
Welcome to the OCDO forum, Crestliner. Your comments clearly define where the struggle for our rights begin - the place where legality and open opposition encounter one another.

OC is all about perception when it comes down to it. Whether we like it or not, perception of legality, intimidation, etc. is what we struggle against when we choose to open carry.

I have always thought it ironic that MA is so restrictive on the very liberties its ancestors had fought so hard to establish. I hope you and your fellow citizens can gain some ground against the anti-OC mentality.

By the way, you have a beautiful state. My family have passed through MA several times while on vacation, and always regret that we have only spent a long day at best exploring your parks and communities.
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I do know what I was saying when I mentioned the word "privilege" in my post :). However, the reality of it all - in this state anyway - is that if you do get stopped for open carry in public (considered to be intimidation), the town's police chief has the right NOT to re-issue you another LTC and/or revolk the one you do have! Unfortunately, even G.O.A.L., which is our best gun advocacy group here in the bay state, cannot fight local ordinances. It's so bad here that in some towns or cities, it's almost impossible to get a LTC, whereas in others you actually can. Those are the brutal, hard facts and are tough to fight, if you still want to carry a handgun in this state. I go with the flow now and CC vs. OP. At least they cannot take that away from me - yet! :X

KansasMustang

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
When I carried a Taurus PT111 (sub-compact 9mm) I was prepared for the accusation "you're just carrying a gun to compensate for yourmanhood."

My planned comback was "Yeah, I carry this small gun to compensate for my large one." ;)

...Orygunner...
Hahaha +1 Ory LOL,,,Uh,,I was gonna say sumpin bad but,,well none of my pistols has a barrel length,,, anyhow,,who is this daggum pissant? I have no need for his ilk, as do none of us. Hope he can figure out what exactly it is that Open Carry does to potential crime? Pissant,,,sheesh!!!