• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does "Open Carry" really mean?

jay75009

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
Is it an affirmation of our Second Amendment rights?

Or something more interesting? Since I'm the newbie here, I challenge you old timers to validate doing it. Not the RIGHT to do it, but just doing it. Are we simply expressing and validating the RIGHT or are we being totally offensive, scary idjit, frightening little kids in harmless places like public restaurants? Seriously! Are we simply encouraging challenges? It's for damn sure we're not "protecting" ourselves. I've never read about anyone being mugged while eating a chicken sandwich or trying on a pair of jeans in JC Penneys. Am I missing something, or is this public display of cold steel penises just another ruse?

Sure, we CAN strap on our Iron Dildos, but do we need to do that just to prove we CAN? I have a CCP and can carry open (I live in Va.) , but hell - I hardly EVER do it. There's just no need unless I'm venturing into unknown territory and there's damn little of that around these parts. So what is it? I support open carry and CC, but what am I supposed to do to demonstrate that? Pack double 1911's open on my belt, double CZ2075's under my belt and double NA .380's on my ankles? If I fell into a mud puddle with alll that iron, I'd frikkin' drown!

I walked into a 7-11 the other day with my Taurus 1911 holstered after a trip to the range. The poor Indian lady who was tending the counter noticed it and almost fainted. People are scared of people. And people are scared of guns. But people are more scared of people with guns. So don't be scary. Carry concealed and just forget you're doing it - don't scare people and don't focus on your goddam gun. Let it be something like a swiss army knife that's there when you need it, not something that you think about all the time.

I'm trying to figure this place out, so forgive me if I've over-reacted.

in response to the cold steel penis remark.......that usualy goes with the "trying to make up for a small size" remark as well............ummmmm when......and you probably will get mugged........i sure hope your GIANT PENIS keeps you and your valuables safe :-D , cause while your trying to undo your fly.............ill be drawing my weapon to protect mine ;-)

We carry open for many reasons, none of them having to do with our reproductive organs. I feel much better having an officer coming up to me personaly, and knowing already that i have a weapon, and knowing i am OCing legaly.......then approaching me with his hand on his, wondering if im gonna reach under my shirt and shoot him.......i know he has one, he clearly knows i do, no barrier there, even playing field, i've noticed it makes them a lil more respectable too.

Dreamer

imported post

I second the "Shenanigans" call.

This person is a troll.

Or an anti-gun activist looking to get some fringe-y comments to use against the movement.

I call "Shenanigans".

JT

imported post

ChanFu wrote:
Am I missing something, or is this public display of cold steel penises just another ruse?

Sure, we CAN strap on our Iron Dildos, but do we need to do that just to prove we CAN?
There is something fundamentally wrong in the thinking of any person who equates a gun to a penis or sex toy. If you do actually carry a firearm you probably shouldn't.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The OP is an obvious drive-by troll... either a Brady or a FUDD. But... that said... I will explain that my state (AZ) didn't even recognize concealed carry until 1994. Neighboring NM didn't 'til around 2004. Our state constitutions have recognized unlicensed open carry (it wasn't called that 'til recently) since 1912 when the constitutions were ratified with statehood... and far beyond that time when we were Territories. You were either heeled or not... and it was obvious to all. The right to bear arms is recognized, therefore there was no 'infringement'. You are free to do that here as you desire. (As all rights are.)

I carry a sidearm when people are around or completely alone. It's nota fashion statement... or political statement... or any statement at all. I carry for my own defense and my wife does as well. It's a tool. One we hope not to use, but available if necessary. We take responsibility for our own defense. This desert can be remote within five miles in any direction. The mountains interrupt cell phones (there are 50 ranges in AZ) and we are close to the Mexican border (with the obvious concerns). Let me say that carrying a sidearm in AZ is a cultural norm not shared by many states. It is a norm in that the right has never been denied then reinstated where people have forgotten it 'is' a right. Now... back under your bridge like a good little troll and report to your masters they have nothing to fear but their own hoplophia.

The Wolfhound

imported post

I agree it is likely a Troll if for no other reason than they never came back to defend their case. Reading this string did make me flash back to "Full Metal Jacket" with R. Lee Ermey calling cadence:

THIS IS MY RIFLE

THIS IS MY GUN

THIS FOR FIGHTING

THIS IS FOR FUN

ROFL

TJ347

imported post

I'm a newbie here, and I joined simply to respond to what I see as a major problem afflicting this forum which I have enjoyed browsing this last little while...

People who claim to be "gun nuts" who come to OpenCarry.org and start a thread wherein they say, in one way or another, "just conceal carry for goodness sakes!" should have those threads immediately deleted, as it harms the spirit of what this site is about. There are already more than enough threads covering that issue here, and there should not be any more bandwith wasted on discussing a topic that they could easily research the answers to or bother people elsewhere with.

I don't go to Toyota.com to tell them how much better Hondas are after all. These folks claim OC sets back gun rights, but what sets back gun rights is idiots on either side of the issue arguing about how to carry amongst each other instead of focusing on ensuring that they'll have the right to carry at all in the near future. This is only my first post and I carry no weight here, but I had to say that because it's so damned annoying. Enough already, please! (And apologies for the RESURRECTION of this thread!)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Welcome to OCDO TJ347

No apology necessary.

We frequently practice responding to such as the OP just to keep up to date on our training. :)

Yata hey

NY2AZ

imported post

Concealing a full size firearm is not comfortable. Also, the purpose of open carry is to take the fear of firearms which you talk of, and do away with it. The goal is to normalize the carry of guns. Or maybe OP has done little to no research

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NY2AZ wrote:
Concealing a full size firearm is not comfortable. Also, the purpose of open carry is to take the fear of firearms which you talk of, and do away with it. The goal is to normalize the carry of guns. Or maybe OP has done little to no research
OP is a resident agent provocateur - hit & run type.

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

NY2AZ wrote:
I agree with the whole idea of using OC to "normalize" the carrying of firearms. I OC almost all the time, even though I have CHPs issued by 2 states. I've used OC encounters to educate dozens of citizens--anti and "just curious"--as to the legal, moral, and civic issues of the 2A. I think OC is a great tool--for reducing crime, for ensuring the continued existance of liberty, and for encouraging open, polite social discourse on very serious socio-political issues.

Also, OC is a MUCH better deterrent against crime than CC. To a criminal, a CCer looks like EVERYONE else--unarmed, and a "soft" target. To a criminal, an OCer, on the other hand, presents a clear and present deterrent to his criminal enterprise. I mean how many OCers have you EVER seen on the news that got mugged or raped? None. How many CCers are the victims of attempted crimes? Well, I can't speak for where you live, but here in NC, in the last 6 months, there have been at least 4 incidents in the news of a CCer that was the intended victim of a crime, including one off-duty Sheriff's Deputy.

Personally, I'd rather have a BG look at my OC'd firearm and just move on down the road, than be CCing and have to use it. I'd MUCH rather avoid a criminal attack ALTOGETHER than have to pull my concealed firearm to stop it once it started. That's the whole point of OC. The mere presence of an armed citizen sends the BGs down the road...

However, the statement that "concealinga full sized forearm is not comfortable" is simply not true. I'm 5'11", and 180lbs. If I can CC a full-size double-stack 1911 comfortably without printing, then I can't see how it should be a problem for anyone else. You need a well-designed holster that fits your body and your gun. You need to make some clothing modifications. But there is NO reason that carrying a full-size handgun concealed should be uncomfortable. You just need to put some thought (and money) into it to do it. CC isn't possible (or effective) with a cheap holster.

Sure, this makes CC sort of an exclusive practice. You have to spend a little extra money to get a decent holster, and you might want to get an extra belt (and a few extra pair of pants) with a few more inches on them than you normally wear. But anyone who can afford several hundreds of dollars to buy a decent handgun should be able to buck up for a decent CC holster and a few extra pairs of Dockers. You don't need a $300 sharkskin-trimmed Milt Sparks. Heck, my CC holster is a 15-year-old Galco that cost me about $20 back in the day. Today, a similar model runs well under $40. It is VERY comfortable and secure, and it works just fine.

Sure, CC might not be as comfy and easy to get to as OC, but it shouldn't be painful. A decent holster goes a LONG way...

cscitney87

imported post

TJ347 wrote:
I'm a newbie here, and I joined simply to respond to what I see as a major problem afflicting this forum which I have enjoyed browsing this last little while...

People who claim to be "gun nuts" who come to OpenCarry.org and start a thread wherein they say, in one way or another, "just conceal carry for goodness sakes!" should have those threads immediately deleted, as it harms the spirit of what this site is about.
Welcome. +1 your post. When I first came here, I was a little naive. I Assumed everyone posting was Pro OC :banghead: It's become clear that there are mixed opinions. I mean- if we are here.. haven't we already decided not to give a snap about the "other guys'" opinions? Yet anti-OC theology slips into thread after thread.

TJ347

imported post

Personally, I think the saying "I don't care how you carry, just carry" says it better than I ever could. I'm just sick of people trying to convince those who have already decided the best means for them to carry their firearms to adopt a way that they've decided is somehow better. :banghead:

We get it... You think OC takes away the element of "surprise", yada, yada, yada. Very well, then CC on brother! I myself will carry however I choose to, thank you very much. You're not going to convert me, today or ever, by derailing threads here with talesof OCs being targeted by a BG or the supposed "loss of tactical advantage" if one carries in that way. Move the hell on already!

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Personally I both OC and CC, depending on the weather and circumstances to dictate which way I go. This being the winter months I feel it's much more practical for me to CC. Come warmer weather, though, I'll mostly OC.

That being clarified (I hope) there are a number of reasons why I OC. One is because it is, indeed, my right. It's a case of "I'm allowed to, so I will.

Another reason, the most important, is that I carry for self defense. Sure, I could rely on 911. But I'd probably be dead before they got there. And since I live in a fairly high crime area (One drive-by and two shoot-outs in the past 18 months) I prefer to be responsible for my own safety, thank you.

Still another reason I carry openly is as a deterrent to the above. It's been shown that most bad guys are cowards and will not knowingly go into a situation where there is a good likelihood of injury or death. Thus, my easily seen sidearm may prevent a crime without ever having to leave my holster.

My next reason is simply this. Over the past hundred years "civilization" has enacted laws against wearing guns into town. Even in Tombstone guns were to be checked in with the Sheriff. That's part of what led to the gunfight at the OK corral. Well, I'm sick and tired of the bad rap the guns themselves have gotten.

No inanimate object is capable of violence in and of itself. No matter what it is it has to be guided or used (barring the rare accident) by an intelligent being. Now whether that violence is good or evil depends on the person using the weapon. If it's someone defending their self, family, friends, etc., I say it's good. If it's someone whose only aim is to inflict pain and suffering on others they deserve whatever retribution comes their way. But I digress.

Because of the far rarer instances of bad guys with guns, as well as Hollywood hype and the rhetoric of those who would have you willingly lay down and be slaughtered guns are seen as evil. People who don't see them are sometimes afraid of them because of what they've seen on TV and in the movies. We who openly carry are trying to change this. We are trying to normalize guns again. Familiarization, seeing normal people carrying guns, helps to remove the stigma attached to them by mainstream media and the anti-gun crowd.

Openly carrying my pistol has also allowed me to meet people who always wondered what it would be like to shoot a gun, but had never had the chance. I've taken about a half dozen people to the range who had never shot before, and you know what? Every one of them wants to go back.

Education is the key. Openly carrying often brings out questions. Questions get answers. Answers breed understanding. Understanding leads to acceptance of the (now) more familiar.

I've seen several responses on here calling you a troll. I hope that isn't the case. But even if it is, I hope you'll have enough personal integrity to think about the replies of those of us who have given you thoughtful responses.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Why carry? We each have our reasons. I keep fire extinguishers for that "just in case" scenario. I carry my Violence Extinguisher for the same reason, just in case I need it. My right to do so is affirmed in the Second Ammendment.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good point, Wolfhound!

"Do you have a fire extinguisher in your house in case of fire?"

"Yes."

"I carry a gun in case of criminals, and there's more criminal activity in this town than there are fires."

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TJ347 wrote:
These folks claim OC sets back gun rights, but what sets back gun rights is idiots on either side of the issue arguing about how to carry amongst each other instead of focusing on ensuring that they'll have the right to carry at all in the near future. This is only my first post and I carry no weight here, but I had to say that because it's so damned annoying. Enough already, please! (And apologies for the RESURRECTION of this thread!)
Excellent first post, TJ347 - and welcome aboard!

I support OC. I support CC.

I do not support CCers telling OCers they need to carry concealed. I do not support OCers telling CCers they need to open carry.

Not only, "to each his own," but I and several others I know either OC or CC as the situation warrants, or simply as each of us may prefer.

Many people prefer not to carry at all - more power to 'em - their right.

I'm such so darn glad we live in a country where one of our most fundamental freedoms is the freedom to choose! We can choose to vote, or not to vote. We can choose for whom we'd like to vote. Marriages aren't arranged, leaving that choice up to the bride and groom, as well as to choose not to marry at all. Want kids? You can choose how many you'd like to have, even if that choice is none.

This fundamental freedom is never eroded faster than when otherwise well-intentioned people start telling others they need to make different choices.

And I've been guilty of this, as well! Please forgive me, if I've offended anyone here.

BigUgly

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If I "whip it out" (think blazing saddles), it'd scare a lot more that having my pistol exposed ...... and ya'll thought "Big Ugly" had something do to with my face?

Seriously! I've seldom had 'children' frightened by my pistol in a shoulder holster. When they do see it, they are generally curious, and if the parent allows, I will explain to them (the child) why I carry a gun. Hopefully, the parent listens as well. When discussing it with the parent, I usually ask them what they are doing as regards their civic and social duty to those around them. I explain that, I live in Wyoming and that Wyoming is an open carry state., that as a Free, Sovereign Human Being, I am entrusted with the RIGHT to provide for my own protection by my Creator, that as Free Sovereign I have the Right and Responsibility to ensure that the society in which I live is safe and secure, and that I took an Oath when I joined the Navy and that I hold to that Oath and will until the day I cease to exist.

From there, the conversation usually progresses well - except the family from England. The woman and the two kids were genuinely interested, but the guy got really 'pissy' about my carrying a gun. I told him that it is our RIGHT in America and he said "well, you can just keep it" .... at which point I told him, "Thanks, we will". End of conversation.

Another gentleman, some time later, asked me about my pistol while I was having a coffee. He started out by asking me why and telling me that it 'scared' his wife and her fear was scaring the kid. That's one of the reasons I'm sitting outside, I told him, I noticed that your wife seemed nervous. He thanked me for that consideration and the conversation went on from there, for over an hour. Seems he and his family were from the Netherlands, in America on a months vacation, in a motorhome, camping in remote locations. I asked him about bad guys and bears ...... Oh, I didn't really think about that, said he. After discussing many things for over an hour, he decided that he really should consider the safety of his family. Since he was familiar with longguns, but not with handguns, my suggestion to him, if he seriously consider a firearm, was a shorter barrel, 20ga pump gun - effective for all kinds of 'varmits'.

People don't really seem to be afraid of a weapon, out in the open, unless it is in your hand. Most are just curious. I've been stopped dozens of times, in restaurants, grocery stores, on the street - but, then again, this is Wyoming - and part of the reason I moved here.

Sorry if I rambled - but, Oh, Well!!

Be safe!

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

"Open carry" is the legal carry of a modest size handgun in a nice belt holster while wearing nice clothing. Anything else is brandishing, GATTOP, dangerous, looney tunes, etc. :rolleyes: