• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does "Open Carry" really mean?

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
"Open carry" is the legal carry of a modest size handgun in a nice belt holster while wearing nice clothing. Anything else is brandishing, GATTOP, dangerous, looney tunes, etc.
Unless you're being sarcastic- I'm calling you out on that one

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/37606.html

You literally walked down the street with the gun, loaded, in your hand. Now, read that thread because I posted and I SUPPORT you. I do. But your above quote is pure BS :?
I forgot the sarcastic smilie. I'll go back and edit the post.

caligirl

imported post

i'm here tonight more than a year after these posts to discern what "open carry" in nevada actually entails. leaving for a 5-hour roadtrip from los angeles to las vegas tomorrow - solo - and being from the city where concealed carry permits aren't an option i'm searching info on where, when and how to bring my h&k 9mm out into the open. for the record, i'd like to laud the previous poster regarding shootings occurring in family restaurants and other seemingly mundane places - i was the first reporter on the scene in san ysidro (just north of tijuana border) at the mcdonald's massacre there in 1985 when james oliver huberty let loose a mag or three on families, kids on bikes... you get the picture. since then i've longed for the ability to protect my own three kids from such a maniac should the need arise... difficult to prepare for in cali. however, i'm looking forward to going public with my second amendment support and my ability to do so wisely, judiciously, and safely. and for this pistol-packing momma, it's not a steel penis. it's leveling of the physical playing field so that skill and calm under pressure prevail - no studs required.

okboomer

imported post

Hi Caligirl,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about living in CA :banghead:

As for driving to Nevada, I would suggest that you might get more pertinent data from the Nevada State part of the forum.

That said, ya, I sure wish one of those Brady fools would accost me and try to claim that my pistol is some sort of penis envy ... or substitution ... I am 5'2" and got natural speed bumps, so I ascribe to the "equalizer" aspect of firearms. Every time I have been accosted, it was by someone bigger or stronger than me, or more than one ... definitely an unequal force.

cheers - a female gun nut :celebrate

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
"Open carry" is the legal carry of a modest size handgun in a nice belt holster while wearing nice clothing. Anything else is brandishing, GATTOP, dangerous, looney tunes, etc. :rolleyes:

This statement is grossly in error on two fronts:

First, this is NOT the defition of open carry.

This is:This is: "Open carry is shorthand terminology for "openly carrying a firearm in public", as distinguished from concealed carry, where firearms cannot be seen by the casual observer."

And this: "Open carry - the act of publicly carrying a firearm in plain sight. Plain sight - broadly defined as not being hidden from common observation; varies somewhat from state to state."

Second, this is NOT the definition of brandishing. Someone else providing links to definitions. Here are some examples to help you understand the difference between the two:

NOT Brandishing:

1. Carrying a sword in a scabbard attached to one's belt.

2. Raising an unsheathed sword in salute, as in a military ceremony or a military-style wedding.

3. Any sheathed knife.

4. Any unsheathed knife being used in a manner which does not involve that of another person (ranges from cutting cabbage to trimming one's nails).

5. Any handgun in any holster of any kind.

6. Any unholstered handgun, provided the purpose of unholstering the weapon is for cleaning, to fit it to a new holster, to use it during firearms training, or to show it to an interested party.

7. Any slung rifle (carrying it over one's should from it's sling).

8. Any unlung rifle when held at the relaxed position (pointed at the ground, or at shoulder arms). Helps if the bolt is open while unslung...

BRANDISHING:

1. Pointing a knife, gun, or sword directly at someone, UNLESS in a situation where such an action is required and allowed under law to prevent the loss of life, limb, or property.

2. Waiving a knife, sword, or gun back and forth between you and another as if to say, "whoo-hoo, look what we have here!"

GRAY AREAS:

More common:If another car is driving in a threatening manner, and you take your handgun and place it on the dash.

Less common: Placing your hand on the butt of your pistol/revolver in the manner normally associated with it's withdrawal from its holster.

kwikrnu - are you beginning to see the difference between your understandings (misunderstandings, actually) of these two terms and the way they're viewed by the rest of society?

If so, ok! No harm done.

repojoker

imported post

OP, you ask why not CC? Well here in Colorado as long as you have never been convicted of any violent crimes you can open carry and handgun except in the city and county of Denver. Well I live just a little outside of Denver and I was denied my CC permit. So I see this as, A: break the law by CC without a permit or, B: don't open carry because people are "afraid".

I always carry

imported post

Presentation of yourself is everything when you "open carry". As my name implies, I ALWAYS carry, every day, everywhere I go, at any time. When it's cold I wear heavier clothing so concealment is a given. When it's hot here in Georgia where I live, I carry openly. I always act in a professional manner. I walk tall and proud without being arrogant. My appearance is important to me. I have had facial hair most of my adult life. I usually have a full beard or a mustache/goatee. I like to switch it up. Either way, the unshaven areas of my face are always clean shaven, never scruffy looking. My hair is cut short and my clothing is always clean and neat. I also agree with other posters on this forum, that wearing the right equipment is important. My weapon (Glock 23), my belt (2"nylon web), magazine carrier (2 extra) and my holster (Bianchi #82 Carry-Lok) are all black. My wife tells me I look like an off duty police officer. If I am ever asked whether I am, I ALWAYS say no. Any other response would be just plain dumb. I have visited many different retailers, stores and even malls. There have only been a few encounters where someone has actually asked me about my weapon. They were employees who worked at the store where I was shopping - both Glock enthusiasts. Most other people don't even give me a second glance. I feel a "right" unused is a "right" lost.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I always carry wrote:
Presentation of yourself is everything when you "open carry". As my name implies, I ALWAYS carry, every day, everywhere I go, at any time. When it's cold I wear heavier clothing so concealment is a given. When it's hot here in Georgia where I live, I carry openly. I always act in a professional manner. I walk tall and proud without being arrogant. My appearance is important to me. I have had facial hair most of my adult life. I usually have a full beard or a mustache/goatee. I like to switch it up. Either way, the unshaven areas of my face are always clean shaven, never scruffy looking. My hair is cut short and my clothing is always clean and neat. I also agree with other posters on this forum, that wearing the right equipment is important. My weapon (Glock 23), my belt (2"nylon web), magazine carrier (2 extra) and my holster (Bianchi #82 Carry-Lok) are all black. My wife tells me I look like an off duty police officer. If I am ever asked whether I am, I ALWAYS say no. Any other response would be just plain dumb. I have visited many different retailers, stores and even malls. There have only been a few encounters where someone has actually asked me about my weapon. They were employees who worked at the store where I was shopping - both Glock enthusiasts. Most other people don't even give me a second glance. I feel a "right" unused is a "right" lost.
Three cheers for the fine folks in Kennesaw, Georgia - the town that could and did.

Yata hey

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I always carry wrote:
Three cheers for the fine folks in Kennesaw, Georgia - the town that could and did.

Yata hey
What they did in '82 was both bold and great. More power to them.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
I always carry wrote:

Yata hey
What they did in '82 was both bold and great. More power to them.
2 thumbs up

I always carry

imported post

[size="+1"]KENNESAW[/size][size="+1"], Ga - Several Kennesaw officials attribute a drop in crime in the city over the past two decades to a law that requires residents to have a gun in the house.[/size] [size="+1"]In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.[/size] [size="+1"]The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."[/size] [size="+1"]Then-councilman J.O. Stephenson said after the ordinance was passed, everyone "went crazy."[/size] [size="+1"]"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes," he said. "Of course, that wasn't the case."[/size] [size="+1"]In fact, according to Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.[/size] [size="+1"]Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.[/size] [size="+1"]"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."[/size]Guess I chose the right place to move to.

I always carry

imported post

The only thing I conceal is back up weapon, a.k.a. "N.Y. reload". In the small of my back or on my ankle. Yes - I do carry 2 extra magazines. I simply want to be prepared in ANY situation. A personal choice. Have you ever been driving and you see those cars filled with 4 guys, their music thumping as loud as it can be, all of them staring at you? I know I'm a better shot than any of them, aiming their pea shooters " at me, sideways. Still, I would NOT ever want to run out of ammo. Would you? Thinking about that particular situation, I would use at least 3 rounds to flatten their tires. so they couldn't run / drive away as they usually do. :idea: ;)!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I always carry wrote:
The only thing I conceal is back up weapon, a.k.a. "N.Y. reload". In the small of my back or on my ankle. Yes - I do carry 2 extra magazines. I simply want to be prepared in ANY situation. A personal choice. Have you ever been driving and you see those cars filled with 4 guys, their music thumping as loud as it can be, all of them staring at you? I know I'm a better shot than any of them, aiming their pea shooters " at me, sideways. Still, I would NOT ever want to run out of ammo. Would you? Thinking about that particular situation, I would use at least 3 rounds to flatten their tires. so they couldn't run / drive away as they usually do. :idea: ;)!
Presuming that they have brandished or pointed guns at you, you have cause to defend yourself, but I suggest that trying to shoot out tires is NOT a good way to do so - lots of reasons - a running gun battle in vehicles would be a nightmare.

Were they to get off the first shot(s) and pull off, the threat is over. Firing at a fleeing car or pursuing them likely will make you an aggressor - can you say "road rage?"

Disengage if possible - separate yourself from them through judicious use of steering wheel, gas and brakes. Don't forget that a multi-ton vehicle is a powerful weapon when needed. Cell phone to 911 as quickly as possible.

Deadly force will always be my last resort, but when it is my only choice (through no fault of my own), it will by default be my first choice.

Unfortunately we are always behind the reaction curve as we seldom (never?) select the when and where of such confrontations, so studying hypothetical scenarios has benefits.

BTW - yes I do profile, but mostly based on actions and reactions.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I always carry wrote:
I agree with all your points sir. That scenario to me, was simply a worst case situation.
Indeed it would be.

There is a defensive tactic sometime referred to as "skipping" where involved in a static, hiding behind vehicles situation, one skip shots - shoots at ground just under a vehicle - to let the ricochet take out the legs or better of the aggressor. Works best on a hard surface - not good on soft dirt or sand.

Yata hey