• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

assault rifle

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I have a 1911 on my hip, but it wasn't made in 1911

If that is what you are packing, then it is a 1911-a1 PATTERN.
Not really. Mine has a flat backstrap. :p

And what's your point? Bushmaster doesn't make AR-15 "PATTERN" guns? :quirky

bluer1

imported post

marshaul wrote:
bluer1 wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
Shy_Panda wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Umm there is no law against owning semi auto AK's that meet federal law regarding US parts count... so the blanket statement of "AK's are illegal" is wrong.

Also I hate the term assault rifle. That only applies to a narrow class of weapons with full auto or burst capability. Otherwise a semi auto rifle is not an assault rifle, and is a term the antis like to use to generate hysteria.
I sort of think that PolskiG was pretty much trying to say the same thing only in a sarcastic manner. I can only assume that he was reffering to the TRUE AK-47 assault rifles which unless I am mistaken, none of us here can own due to the class 3 requirements. Perhaps he would have been better off refferring to something like a Wasser 10 which as I am sure you are aware a variant of the AK in semi-auto format.

SV, I am on the same page with you though I dislike it when all AK variants are labeled not only as AK's, but more importantly as assault rifles, because the fact of the matter isas you correctly stated that they are not. I hope I am right that he was trying to be sarcastic because if not I just made an arse out of myself... again.

Yes, just being sarcastic. My first rifle was a Romanianwasser-10, it was really cheap looking, I got splinters on my face from the stock, functioned great though. Sold it a while back.
Kind of like all M4/M16 semi-clones being labeled as "ARs"? When AR stands for ARmalite, not assault rifle? I'm sure if you told 90% of the folks on "AR15.com" that their rifles are not ARs (Olympic arms, DPMS, etc.) they'd want to kick your ass in light of their brand-name ignorance...Funny thought though.
AR refers to the model number, as in "AR-15". The fact that "AR" was an abbreviation for "ArmaLite" does not nullify this fact.

Unless their guns are M4s or M-16s, they probably are ARs.

I have a 1911 on my hip, but it wasn't made in 1911. ;)
Not all clones are ARmalite, therefore not "AR15s" as in DPMS "A15" or Remington "R15". The AR15 designation was given to ARMALITE just as the BAR was given to BROWNING, there is nothing that can change that. Look at every other manufacturer, they ARE NOT AR15s they are other nomenclatures just as "AR15" is an ARmalite BRAND NAME. Any other M4/M16 clone that brands itself an "AR15" misrepresents itself due to nomenclature of machining. Trust me, ex-US Army armorer/13F.

That's like saying a Ford is a Chevy because they were made in america and have the same HP.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bluer1 wrote:
That's like saying a Ford is a Chevy because they were made in america and have the same HP.
*scratches head* :question:

Wouldn't it be more like calling all tissue paper Kleenex? Or do you correct people when they do that too? :p

bluer1

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:

Wouldn't it be more like calling all tissue paper Kleenex? Or do you correct people when they do that too? :p
No, my original point was AR not standing for "Assault rifle" :celebrate

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, but nobody calls their guns "ARs" because they think it means "assault rifle".

Assault rifles are select-fire.

People call their guns "ARs" because they are ArmaLite-15 pattern guns.

bluer1

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Yeah, but nobody calls their guns "ARs" because they think it means "assault rifle".

Assault rifles are select-fire.

People call their guns "ARs" because they are ArmaLite-15 pattern guns
You would be surprised. I work at a range, I hear it EVERY DAY.

Wife - "So what does AR stand for?"
The dude - "Assault rifle of course, because its like the ones the army uses"

:banghead:

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

America **** yeah, coming again to save the mother ******* day.

oly_k3b-m4.jpg

gsx1138

imported post

I can simulate a "real" AK47 with my Romanian Ak. The break point in the trigger is so sloppy that I can bump fire from the shoulder making it look full auto. First time I did it on accident I freaked out. Once I figured out what happened it was a fun day at the range.

Here's my babies. America! F_ck Yeah!

sexy.jpg

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

bluer1 wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
bluer1 wrote:

No, my original point was AR not standing for "Assault rifle" :celebrate
I wasn't responding to your original point, but I was responding to a point of yours. :p