Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Military Preparing for Domestic Disturbances

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

http://www.newsmax.com/headlines/mil...mo_code=763E-1

This has been reported before, but the last paragraph of this is worrisom.

snip:
    And Gen. Tommy Franks, who led the U.S. military operations to liberate Iraq, said in a 2003 interview that if the U.S. is attacked with a weapon of mass destruction, the Constitution will likely be discarded in favor of a military form of government.

Post imported post

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

So outrageous a statement needs better provenance, the URL of a video of his speech or of his attributed writings. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.

Post imported post

He evidently mentioned it in the December, 2003issue of Men's Lifestyle magazine.

http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...0/185048.shtml

I have posted the link belowof the entire document from the War College and it is quite disturbing. I noticed on page 31 and 32, it is mentioned that the military oath that will protect against all enemies, foreign and domesticappears to bethe main argument for using DOD forces inside the United States. Domestic enemies are not outlined in any detail.

http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute....cfm?pubID=890

Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Already predisposed to defer to the primacy of civilian authorities in instances of domestic security and divest all but the most extreme demands in areas like civil support and consequence management, DoD might be forced by circumstances to put its broad resources at the disposal of civil authorities to contain and
    reverse violent threats to domestic tranquility. Under the most extreme circumstances, this might include use of military force against hostile groups inside the United States. Further, DoD would be, by necessity, an essential enabling hub for the continuity of political authority in a multi-state or nationwide civil conflict or disturbance.

Wow.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    So outrageous a statement needs better provenance, the URL of a video of his speech or of his attributed writings. Believe nothing you read or hear without verifying it yourself unless it fits your preexisting world view.
    Priceless. :P
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

snip:
    And Gen. Tommy Franks, who led the U.S. military operations to liberate Iraq, said in a 2003 interview that if the U.S. is attacked with a weapon of mass destruction, the Constitution will likely be discarded in favor of a military form of government.
    Task,

80 million gun owners....1 % might say the Constitution won't be discarded? If an attack of WMD did happen, I think that very quickly you would see the Militia enrollment shoot up and I'm talking about called up by the State(s) effected.

I took an oath of office also, but it doesn't appear to bethe one Tommy Franks took.

Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar

Post imported post

I just wonder, if a group such as La Raza, the KKK, or Nation of Islam decides to impliment some sort of "disturbance" nation wide, who will be the first group blaming the gov't for doing nothing?

Or do some of these people really believe it would be best for the Gov't to step aside and let us have a civil war?

As far as I'm concerned, if something isn't done soon, the Marines will be doing a re-enactment of Fallujia in LA.

That's why I'm moving out in the country, and if that doesn't work, an island in the pacific. You primates might just screw this whole thing up.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

Post imported post

Ya know I get real tired of some folks thinkin' they're smarter or wiser or whatever than others. That comment, "you primates might just screw this whole thing up" was totally uncalled for and unjustified.
    WE as a whole, not in part are going to be responsible for whatever happens, and I for one will not sit idly by and be barnstormed by the Fascist leftwing gungrabbin' bastidges that want to turn my beloved country into a slave state. So what I'm saying is if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem! So go on out to your Pacific Island and let the rest of us Patriots try and fix this mess we're in.
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    Ya know I get real tired of some folks thinkin' they're smarter or wiser or whatever than others. That comment, "you primates might just screw this whole thing up" was totally uncalled for and unjustified.
    WE as a whole, not in part are going to be responsible for whatever happens, and I for one will not sit idly by and be barnstormed by the Fascist leftwing gungrabbin' bastidges that want to turn my beloved country into a slave state. So what I'm saying is if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem! So go on out to your Pacific Island and let the rest of us Patriots try and fix this mess we're in.
    +1

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

I would have to imagine such a statement by an active military officer would be seriously injurious to his career. Verification is an absolute with something so significant.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

I would have to imagine such a statement by an active military officer would be seriously injurious to his career. Verification is an absolute with something so significant.
    Good ole' Tommy's not Active...he's been retired since '03.

Post imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
    I just wonder, if a group such as La Raza, the KKK, or Nation of Islam decides to impliment some sort of "disturbance" nation wide, who will be the first group blaming the gov't for doing nothing?

Or do some of these people really believe it would be best for the Gov't to step aside and let us have a civil war?

As far as I'm concerned, if something isn't done soon, the Marines will be doing a re-enactment of Fallujia in LA.

That's why I'm moving out in the country, and if that doesn't work, an island in the pacific. You primates might just screw this whole thing up.
    So long.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:

Yeah but the OP said the quote was from '03. Perhaps he had just gotten out then opened his mouth. Still not what one might expect from a military officer, but then again look at Colin Powell's comments some years back about the Second Amendment and privately owned firearms.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Yeah but the OP said the quote was from '03. Perhaps he had just gotten out then opened his mouth. Still not what one might expect from a military officer, but then again look at Colin Powell's comments some years back about the Second Amendment and privately owned firearms.
    Oops my bad.

RIF

Post imported post

Gen Tommy Franks did not state any desire for the abolition of our Constitution, he warned against it. As testament to his words, just look at what happened in New Orleans; Constitutional rights were abandoned.

As for the theme of the original article, the military does train for domestic disturbances and has frequently had to deal with them but never on our own soil - with the exception of the National Guard - so, why would they not train for it especially while in the middle of two domestic conflicts?

I have seen these alarmist allegations appear many times and each of them fail to recognize one truth, that the military is composed of individuals that believe in the Constitution are not not mindless robots.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

snip:
    I agree with him.With theway things have been dealt with in the past, and the way things seem to be going, this seems like a relatively accurate prediction. I'm not saying I think it's a good idea, and I don't believe he was either.

Post imported post

Army needs to expand, Pentagon says
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,0,89782.story

They need 30K more troops according to the article.

I guess that includes the 20K DHS promised to 'quell domestic disturbances'.

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:

thats pretty ironic, coming from someone with the moniker 'prayingforwar', don't ya think?

Post imported post

Francis Marion wrote:
    Gen Tommy Franks did not state any desire for the abolition of our Constitution, he warned against it. As testament to his words, just look at what happened in New Orleans; Constitutional rights were abandoned.

As for the theme of the original article, the military does train for domestic disturbances and has frequently had to deal with them but never on our own soil - with the exception of the National Guard - so, why would they not train for it especially while in the middle of two domestic conflicts?

I have seen these alarmist allegations appear many times and each of them fail to recognize one truth, that the military is composed of individuals that believe in the Constitution are not not mindless robots.
    I would tend to agree. Most of the people I serve with would sooner turn in their uniforms than be part of something, (official or not) that discards the Constitution. My "boss" may be the presiding president, but only so long as he follows and upholds the Constitution. I think the mass majority of men and woman who are serving in uniform would agree.

My job is to protect and defend the citizens of the United States, not to carry out the personal whims of an elected official. Elected officials come and go, the Constitution and its amendments will outlive us all if I have anything to say about it.

Banned

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Combat Arms 29 Palms Survey
    And what was the outcome? I didn't see any survey results.

Banned

Post imported post

I do hope that this is not the first time that you have seen mention of this survey. I do not recall any mention of the results. That the survey was taken is disturbing enough. Statistics alone require some disturbing results. Correlation not being cause, paramilitarization of police has become more outrageous since 1994.

The action of the OP suggests internal support.

State Researcher

Post imported post

From that survey:
    The U.S. government declares a ban on the possession, sale transportation, and transfer of all non-sporting firearms. A thirty (30) day amnesty period is permitted for these firearms to be turned over to the local authorities. At the end of this period, a number of citizen groups refuse to turn over their firearms. Consider the following statement: I would fire upon U.S. citizens who refuse or resist confiscation of firearms banned by the U.S. government.
    Testing the waters, huh? I hope they received a resounding NO from all who took that survey. God help the poor boy that answered yes if/when that day comes.

Post imported post

My gloomy worst-case assessment:

I would like to think that our armed force servicemen are all committed to defending our rights, but even those who are define that defense within the scope of what information and indoctrination they are provided from above.

All that is needed to get American troops to engage in operations which violate citizens' rights is to convince them that these citizens are lawless rebels who represent a threat to peace, law, and order under the Constitution.

That's easy. A few propaganda films of people throwing rocks or spitting on soldiers or burning flags is all it would take to get a 19-year-old flag-waving graduate of public school to do what he's told and kick in some doors.

Of course when it happens, it won't be that fast. There will be a long lead-in time period in which both the military and the public are conditioned to accept the use of military forces for domestic purposes, to accept seeing soldiers doing roadblocks and DUI checkpoints, to seeing them in airports and train stations, etc. An accompanying re-write of public school propaganda will help to ensure that tomorrow's 19-year-old never questions the use of troops in such situations.

By the time the order is given for troops to kick in doors and look for guns, they will have already been doing so looking for drugs for years, so it will not seem to out of the ordinary for the soldiers or the public.

Of course, all of this isn't really necessary; at the rate with which we are militarizing our police forces we really don't need to use our army domestically, anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast