• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained at gas station

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriffs_in_the_United_States
In the United States, a sheriff is generally (but not always) the highest law enforcement officer of a county and commander of militia in that county. A distinct part of policing in the United States, sheriffs are usually elected. The political election of a person to serve as a police leader is an almost uniquely American tradition. (The Honorary Police of Jersey, a UK Crown Dependencies in the Channel Islands, have been elected since at least the 16th century.)[1]

[ ... ]

In many rural areas of the United States, particularly in the South, the sheriff has traditionally been viewed as one of a given county's most influential political office-holders.

Sheriff

imported post

That's still true in my area Doug. The sheriffs can pull rank over the police chiefs at any time.

nitrovic

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
In the United States, a sheriff is generally (but not always) the highest law enforcement officer of a county and commander of militia in that county. A distinct part of policing in the United States, sheriffs are usually elected. The political election of a person to serve as a police leader is an almost uniquely American tradition. (The Honorary Police of Jersey, a UK Crown Dependencies in the Channel Islands, have been elected since at least the 16th century.)[1]

[ ... ]

In many rural areas of the United States, particularly in the South, the sheriff has traditionally been viewed as one of a given county's most influential political office-holders.

Deleted

Sleepless

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

[ ...]

This has no bearing on the post or the area in question. In case you missed it-

In most jurisdictions in the NOVA area Deputies work the courtroom and serve civil process. You either got stopped by Prince William PD and/or Dumfries PD.
nitrovic I am sorry to burst your bubble but I ain't sure you read the whole thread because he clearly commented after being asked that he was stopped in Wythe County and not in Prince William County or in Dumfries.

nitrovic

imported post

You didn't burst my bubble. Sounds good. Either way I think the story sounds like the OP did the right thing.

VAopencarry

imported post

Citizen, Isn't your Sr. Drill Instructor the first person in your chain of command?

Just because you have been out for 20 years is no reason to forget your chain of command while you were in Boot Camp. GET ON MY QUARTERDECK!!!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Wow, militia commander? Vote NSL for Sheriff 2012!

Oh, that will look good in the newspapers.

"When asked for comment, Sheriff Naked replied..."

I can see the editorial column wags now.

"Sheriff Naked had a poor showing in the recent referendum..."

"Sheriff Naked promises to expose..."

:)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Oh, that will look good in the newspapers.

"When asked for comment, Sheriff Naked replied..."

I can see the editorial column wags now.

"Sheriff Naked had a poor showing in the recent referendum..."

"Sheriff Naked promises to expose..."

:)
C'mon Citizen, refer to him properly. It'd be Sheriff Shoplifter. Naked is his first name.

:lol: