Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: January 2009 OC meetup?

  1. #1
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    I'll be in Hammond for the annual SELARC Hamfest- http://www.selarc.org/selarchamfest.htm- on Saturday Jan 17. Soundman33 is here working on my computer and says he's not scheduled to work that day so it's a good date for him.

    Anyone else want to meet somewhere in Hammond for a late breakfast/brunch that day? Anyone know a place we can meetup in Hammond? We eat, chat and then maybe go shopping at the Hammond Wal-Mart.

    Who's in?




    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  2. #2
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Just got PMed from Mark. The 17th is good for him.

    Anyone else?

    Soundman is talking about riding his motorcycle so if you have one and the weather cooperates then maybe you can motorcycle OC to the meetup.


    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kingsland/Saint Marys GA, USA
    Posts
    73

    Post imported post

    I will hopefully be there. Weather permitting riding my motorcycle also.


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Laplace, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    50

    Post imported post

    I have to work nights that weekend,But I should be able to make it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    If the Hammond Walmart has either a Subway or McDonald's in it, why not eat there?
    Good Idea. I didn't even think of that. Anyone know what resturant the Wal-Mart has inside?
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Port Allen, LA
    Posts
    98

    Post imported post

    I'll be able to make it

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    I think that Jan. 17 works for me - work schedule hasn't been posted that far ahead yet, though.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    I called the Hammond Wal-Mart. They have a Subway sandwich shop there. I'm not sure what time they open. I'll call theSubwaya little later this morning. I'm thinking we can meet for an early lunch (approx 10:30 or 11am) dependng on when they open up.

    after the edit- Just called the subway at that walmart. They are open 7am-10pm. That gives us a better window.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  9. #9
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    I PMed Anty506, the person who was harrassed at the Hammond Wal-Mart. He tells me the store has a policy of not allowing OC. Hopefully he will post here soon with details.


    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    I will be there


    The manager said that they only allow LEO to carry in the store. Of course I could not see the policy for my own eyes, but I was told this by the manger that was "helping" me out.

    I think its bull if you ask me, I saw one of the policies before and it wasn't very clear. It said that only LEO can carry, then it said that CC is ok and then it said that OC is ok until customers complain.

    Now the policy that Brandon read me over the phone sounded similar to that one but he said that only LEO can carry and that CC or OC is not allowed. I don't think the policy is that clear on the OC and CC. He also said that the WalMart legal team said that they don't have to put up a sign.

    That is true, they don't have to put a sign, they have the right to make their own policy, but without a sign, its not "illegal" to carry as we did not break any illegal carry laws all they can do is ask us to leave. Am I 100% correct on that?

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran XD-GEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    722

    Post imported post

    Personally, I'd rather not spend money somewhere that we're not wanted.

    Anty506 is not correct about his assumption. Since the management there already verbally informed him he cannot bring his gun into the store, he could possibly be subject to arrest. The rest of us could enter the store individually, but would likely be asked to leave and would then be in the same position as Anty506. If we go as a group, there could arguably be an assumption that we know of Anty's story and are openly trying to intimidate the Walmart folks.

    That will only lead to the kind of bad publicity that can rile up enough folks to change some laws in ways that we would not want.

    It would be far better to meet somewhere that doesn't mind our carrying. Then we could take a group picture and later deliver it to Anty's Walmart friend with a note explaining the amount of revenue lost due to their policy. Perhaps we could also include a copy of the PAFOA posting I quoted in another thread here - the one where a regional Walmart manager in Pennsylvania is quoted as saying Walmart policy is to permit carying in stores where it is legal.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    XD-GEM wrote:
    Personally, I'd rather not spend money somewhere that we're not wanted.

    Anty506 is not correct about his assumption. Since the management there already verbally informed him he cannot bring his gun into the store, he could possibly be subject to arrest. The rest of us could enter the store individually, but would likely be asked to leave and would then be in the same position as Anty506. If we go as a group, there could arguably be an assumption that we know of Anty's story and are openly trying to intimidate the Walmart folks.

    That will only lead to the kind of bad publicity that can rile up enough folks to change some laws in ways that we would not want.

    It would be far better to meet somewhere that doesn't mind our carrying. Then we could take a group picture and later deliver it to Anty's Walmart friend with a note explaining the amount of revenue lost due to their policy. Perhaps we could also include a copy of the PAFOA posting I quoted in another thread here - the one where a regional Walmart manager in Pennsylvania is quoted as saying Walmart policy is to permit carying in stores where it is legal.
    I was always told that the policy is to permit carrying in stores where it is legal. I tried to get a copy or at least let me see the policy with my own eyes, but they would not allow it....... I just think its bull because the manger still said on the phone, I'd prefer you not to carry in walmart.

    They won't provide the policy to me and I've tried to contact walmart legal but they won't speak with me.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    With that said, does anyone else have a place they would like to meet in the area? The McDonalds or is there a Shoneys or similar resturant nearby? Anty506, do you have any suggestions? I'm cool with the idea ofmeeting somewhere else near by. I'd love to meet at the Hi-Ho but they serve beer there.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    After reading for the last few years on other gun forums everyone has said that Walmart policy is if it's legal in you state then it's OK.

    And that a local manager can not make policy it has to come from their HQ, and some local managers a have gotten into trouble for trying.

    Who's on here is good at emails or phone calls that can call or write Wallmart HQ and ask?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    charlie12 wrote:
    After reading for the last few years on other gun forums everyone has said that Walmart policy is if it's legal in you state then it's OK.

    And that a local manager can not make policy it has to come from their HQ, and some local managers a have gotten into trouble for trying.

    Who's on here is good at emails or phone calls that can call or write Wallmart HQ and ask?
    I've tried calling them several times

    I know someone who is a manger of a walmart in another state, let me call and ask him how the polices work.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    yale wrote:
    With that said, does anyone else have a place they would like to meet in the area? The McDonalds or is there a Shoneys or similar resturant nearby? Anty506, do you have any suggestions? I'm cool with the idea ofmeeting somewhere else near by. I'd love to meet at the Hi-Ho but they serve beer there.
    Its hard to find a place that doesn't server beer

    What type of food are you looking for and I'll try to come up with some nearby places.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    Some years ago, during the first illegal, immoral and unconstitutional invasion of Iraq, a group of us protested outside the state capitol. The first time we did it coincided with a PRO war rally. Had it not been for a handful of cops, we would have had to slug it out with some violent (imagine that) warmongers.
    Subsequent protests included just us, nobody else, except the fed and state police agents who showed up to snap our pictures for their files. Really.
    As I tried to explain to the other protesters, we were preaching to the choir, as NObody but us were there. It was my suggestion we took our group to some other location where we might actually be seen !!
    Same situation here. What do we accomplish by gathering strictly amongst supporters? We need to take it out in public, where it will do some good.
    If you limit your exposure to likeminded individuals, what gain is in that?
    That is true. I'd like to get the news and news papers involved in whatever we decide to do.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    I'll start calling tomorrow

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Laplace, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    50

    Post imported post

    Sounds like we need to have an "open carry" day,like they did in (Virginia?).

    I believe everyone met at a public park,BBQ'd,had kids playing,etc.

    They had the news do a story on that.

    I definately agree we need to get OC out more in the public's view.I'll try calling the WBRZ news tomorrow

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    8,711

    Post imported post

    Anty506 wrote:
    I will be there

    The manager said that they only allow LEO to carry in the store. Of course I could not see the policy for my own eyes, but I was told this by the manger that was "helping" me out.

    I think its bull if you ask me, I saw one of the policies before and it wasn't very clear. It said that only LEO can carry, then it said that CC is ok and then it said that OC is ok until customers complain.
    I think if management has a problem with open carry at thie WalMart, until he backs down or corporate intervenes, holding an open carry event there is likley to make matters worse.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    I will try to speak with corporate sometime tomorrow and see if I get anywhere. We can still all meet and try to get news involved, and have lunch and etc.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    I just got off the phone with Chris from WBRZ. He is going to pass this along and would like to get a call closer to the date.

    Mark if you and/or others could give a call as well just to go over anything I may have missed while speaking with him, that would be great.

    Phone 225.387.2222 ask for Chris Nakamoto

    Thanks

  23. #23
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    So, where does everyone want to meet up? How about the McDonalds on West Thomas/Hwy 190 near the Wal-Mart? We find a corner table, chat a bit and sip cokes.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Laplace, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    50

    Post imported post

    Do we have a time & a place to meet yet?Looking forward to our 2nd meetup.

  25. #25
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    chad pf-9 wrote:
    Do we have a time & a place to meet yet?Looking forward to our 2nd meetup.
    That's what I'm hoping to pin down. Don't want it too early since people are traveling in from out of town but not too late because some people have plans for later in the day. Most of us will probably just grab a cup of coffee or a coke and just chat. Others may want a little more breakfast or lunch. I'm all for meeting around 10am since it's still early enough for a late breakfast and if someone wants to eat early in the morning then they can have lunch later during or after the meetup.

    I'm going to be at the University Center at the Hamfest for a couple of hours before going to the meetup. Anytime after 9 am would be fine for me.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •