• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

January 2009 OC meetup?

sraacke

imported post

I'll be in Hammond for the annual SELARC Hamfest- http://www.selarc.org/selarchamfest.htm- on Saturday Jan 17. Soundman33 is here working on my computer and says he's not scheduled to work that day so it's a good date for him.

Anyone else want to meet somewhere in Hammond for a late breakfast/brunch that day? Anyone know a place we can meetup in Hammond? We eat, chat and then maybe go shopping at the Hammond Wal-Mart. :D

Who's in?

sraacke

imported post

Just got PMed from Mark. The 17th is good for him.

Anyone else?

Soundman is talking about riding his motorcycle so if you have one and the weather cooperates then maybe you can motorcycle OC to the meetup.

sraacke

imported post

I called the Hammond Wal-Mart. They have a Subway sandwich shop there. I'm not sure what time they open. I'll call theSubwaya little later this morning. I'm thinking we can meet for an early lunch (approx 10:30 or 11am) dependng on when they open up.

after the edit- Just called the subway at that walmart. They are open 7am-10pm. That gives us a better window.

sraacke

imported post

I PMed Anty506, the person who was harrassed at the Hammond Wal-Mart. He tells me the store has a policy of not allowing OC. Hopefully he will post here soon with details.

Anty506

imported post

I will be there :)

The manager said that they only allow LEO to carry in the store. Of course I could not see the policy for my own eyes, but I was told this by the manger that was "helping" me out.

I think its bull if you ask me, I saw one of the policies before and it wasn't very clear. It said that only LEO can carry, then it said that CC is ok and then it said that OC is ok until customers complain.

Now the policy that Brandon read me over the phone sounded similar to that one but he said that only LEO can carry and that CC or OC is not allowed. I don't think the policy is that clear on the OC and CC. He also said that the WalMart legal team said that they don't have to put up a sign.

That is true, they don't have to put a sign, they have the right to make their own policy, but without a sign, its not "illegal" to carry as we did not break any illegal carry laws ;) all they can do is ask us to leave. Am I 100% correct on that?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Personally, I'd rather not spend money somewhere that we're not wanted.

Anty506 is not correct about his assumption. Since the management there already verbally informed him he cannot bring his gun into the store, he could possibly be subject to arrest. The rest of us could enter the store individually, but would likely be asked to leave and would then be in the same position as Anty506. If we go as a group, there could arguably be an assumption that we know of Anty's story and are openly trying to intimidate the Walmart folks.

That will only lead to the kind of bad publicity that can rile up enough folks to change some laws in ways that we would not want.

It would be far better to meet somewhere that doesn't mind our carrying. Then we could take a group picture and later deliver it to Anty's Walmart friend with a note explaining the amount of revenue lost due to their policy. Perhaps we could also include a copy of the PAFOA posting I quoted in another thread here - the one where a regional Walmart manager in Pennsylvania is quoted as saying Walmart policy is to permit carying in stores where it is legal.

Anty506

imported post

XD-GEM wrote:
Personally, I'd rather not spend money somewhere that we're not wanted.

Anty506 is not correct about his assumption. Since the management there already verbally informed him he cannot bring his gun into the store, he could possibly be subject to arrest. The rest of us could enter the store individually, but would likely be asked to leave and would then be in the same position as Anty506. If we go as a group, there could arguably be an assumption that we know of Anty's story and are openly trying to intimidate the Walmart folks.

That will only lead to the kind of bad publicity that can rile up enough folks to change some laws in ways that we would not want.

It would be far better to meet somewhere that doesn't mind our carrying. Then we could take a group picture and later deliver it to Anty's Walmart friend with a note explaining the amount of revenue lost due to their policy. Perhaps we could also include a copy of the PAFOA posting I quoted in another thread here - the one where a regional Walmart manager in Pennsylvania is quoted as saying Walmart policy is to permit carying in stores where it is legal.
I was always told that the policy is to permit carrying in stores where it is legal. I tried to get a copy or at least let me see the policy with my own eyes, but they would not allow it....... I just think its bull because the manger still said on the phone, I'd prefer you not to carry in walmart.

They won't provide the policy to me and I've tried to contact walmart legal but they won't speak with me.

sraacke

imported post

With that said, does anyone else have a place they would like to meet in the area? The McDonalds or is there a Shoneys or similar resturant nearby? Anty506, do you have any suggestions? I'm cool with the idea ofmeeting somewhere else near by. I'd love to meet at the Hi-Ho but they serve beer there. :(

charlie12

imported post

After reading for the last few years on other gun forums everyone has said that Walmart policy is if it's legal in you state then it's OK.

And that a local manager can not make policy it has to come from their HQ, and some local managers a have gotten into trouble for trying.

Who's on here is good at emails or phone calls that can call or write Wallmart HQ and ask?

Anty506

imported post

charlie12 wrote:
After reading for the last few years on other gun forums everyone has said that Walmart policy is if it's legal in you state then it's OK.

And that a local manager can not make policy it has to come from their HQ, and some local managers a have gotten into trouble for trying.

Who's on here is good at emails or phone calls that can call or write Wallmart HQ and ask?

I've tried calling them several times :(

I know someone who is a manger of a walmart in another state, let me call and ask him how the polices work.

Anty506

imported post

yale wrote:
With that said, does anyone else have a place they would like to meet in the area? The McDonalds or is there a Shoneys or similar resturant nearby? Anty506, do you have any suggestions? I'm cool with the idea ofmeeting somewhere else near by. I'd love to meet at the Hi-Ho but they serve beer there. :(

Its hard to find a place that doesn't server beer :(

What type of food are you looking for and I'll try to come up with some nearby places.

imported post

Some years ago, during the first illegal, immoral and unconstitutional invasion of Iraq, a group of us protested outside the state capitol. The first time we did it coincided with a PRO war rally. Had it not been for a handful of cops, we would have had to slug it out with some violent (imagine that) warmongers.
Subsequent protests included just us, nobody else, except the fed and state police agents who showed up to snap our pictures for their files. Really.
As I tried to explain to the other protesters, we were preaching to the choir, as NObody but us were there. It was my suggestion we took our group to some other location where we might actually be seen !!
Same situation here. What do we accomplish by gathering strictly amongst supporters? We need to take it out in public, where it will do some good.
If you limit your exposure to likeminded individuals, what gain is in that?

Anty506

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Some years ago, during the first illegal, immoral and unconstitutional invasion of Iraq, a group of us protested outside the state capitol. The first time we did it coincided with a PRO war rally. Had it not been for a handful of cops, we would have had to slug it out with some violent (imagine that) warmongers.
Subsequent protests included just us, nobody else, except the fed and state police agents who showed up to snap our pictures for their files. Really.
As I tried to explain to the other protesters, we were preaching to the choir, as NObody but us were there. It was my suggestion we took our group to some other location where we might actually be seen !!
Same situation here. What do we accomplish by gathering strictly amongst supporters? We need to take it out in public, where it will do some good.
If you limit your exposure to likeminded individuals, what gain is in that?
That is true. I'd like to get the news and news papers involved in whatever we decide to do.