• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

January 2009 OC meetup?

chad pf-9

imported post

Sounds like we need to have an "open carry" day,like they did in (Virginia?).

I believe everyone met at a public park,BBQ'd,had kids playing,etc.

They had the news do a story on that.

I definately agree we need to get OC out more in the public's view.I'll try calling the WBRZ news tomorrow

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Anty506 wrote:
I will be there :)

The manager said that they only allow LEO to carry in the store. Of course I could not see the policy for my own eyes, but I was told this by the manger that was "helping" me out.

I think its bull if you ask me, I saw one of the policies before and it wasn't very clear. It said that only LEO can carry, then it said that CC is ok and then it said that OC is ok until customers complain.
I think if management has a problem with open carry at thie WalMart, until he backs down or corporate intervenes, holding an open carry event there is likley to make matters worse.

Anty506

imported post

I will try to speak with corporate sometime tomorrow and see if I get anywhere. We can still all meet and try to get news involved, and have lunch and etc.

Anty506

imported post

I just got off the phone with Chris from WBRZ. He is going to pass this along and would like to get a call closer to the date.

Mark if you and/or others could give a call as well just to go over anything I may have missed while speaking with him, that would be great.

Phone 225.387.2222 ask for Chris Nakamoto

Thanks

imported post

I can only wish I had a dollar for every time he and I spoke.
If he were a potential customer for our business, I would have written him off a LONG time ago.
Chris Nakamoto is probably one of the LEAST motivated persons I have ever met.
Add to that a heaping helping of procrastination, I'm done with him.
You're more than welcome to try and move him off of top dead center.
Good luck with that !!

sraacke

imported post

So, where does everyone want to meet up? How about the McDonalds on West Thomas/Hwy 190 near the Wal-Mart? We find a corner table, chat a bit and sip cokes.

sraacke

imported post

chad pf-9 wrote:
Do we have a time & a place to meet yet?Looking forward to our 2nd meetup.

That's what I'm hoping to pin down. Don't want it too early since people are traveling in from out of town but not too late because some people have plans for later in the day. Most of us will probably just grab a cup of coffee or a coke and just chat. Others may want a little more breakfast or lunch. I'm all for meeting around 10am since it's still early enough for a late breakfast and if someone wants to eat early in the morning then they can have lunch later during or after the meetup.

I'm going to be at the University Center at the Hamfest for a couple of hours before going to the meetup. Anytime after 9 am would be fine for me.

Anty506

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I can only wish I had a dollar for every time he and I spoke.
If he were a potential customer for our business, I would have written him off a LONG time ago.
Chris Nakamoto is probably one of the LEAST motivated persons I have ever met.
Add to that a heaping helping of procrastination, I'm done with him.
You're more than welcome to try and move him off of top dead center.
Good luck with that !!

Well Mark I just got a call from Rob Kireger ;) He said that Chris has passed this on to him.

They want to come out and do a news story on it :)

He is wanting more info on it and I figured you would be the best one to explain everything to him. Just call and ask for him :)

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

chad pf-9 wrote:
Sounds like we need to have an "open carry" day,like they did in (Virginia?).

I believe everyone met at a public park,BBQ'd,had kids playing,etc.

They had the news do a story on that.

I definately agree we need to get OC out more in the public's view.I'll try calling the WBRZ news tomorrow

Yes, this is the way we should try to portray ourselves to the public - as normal people doing their everyday things, but with their gun on their hip -not as a bunch of angry guys with guns storming the walls of Walmart over a perceived insult. If we're going to have media attention, it should NOT be because of a confrontation.

See the Nightline video here for what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIjrv5DDs_I

ETA: BTW,our work schedule still hasn't been posted yet - don't know why, but it's making me wonder if something unpleasant is on the horizon.

imported post

Any of you younger guys remember Rosa Parks? She was a black lady. Instead of riding on an all black bus, she boarded the mixed race bus. In the 50's, it was CLEARLY understood persons of her color sat in the back of the bus. Well, Rosa decided one day she was going to do something VERY controversial: she sat in the front of the bus. Did she realize the danger she was placing herself in? Absolutely.
She could have just as easily sat in the back and not made any waves. Instead, Rosa Parks stood up for her rights and the rights of all persons of all colors to be treated equally. She didn't take the easy way out, she did what she felt needed doing.
Storming the walls of Walmart? Not quite. But to show up in numbers to stand up for OUR rights is nothing to be ashamed of, at least not where I come from.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm all for standing up for our rights, as anyone who's read other posts of mine can see. In this instance, I'm referring to how we may be perceived by the public or how we will be portrayed by the media. Remember that most media types are either anti or are so ignorant of history and law that they plug these type of stories into a preconceived, trite, and overly simplistic framework that too often does not advance our cause. They plug in to the formula of Hollywood stereotypes and we get portrayed as "gun nuts."

If Anty can get the Walmart guy to greet us on camera and openly welcome us, that would make a FABULOUS story - one which would help break the media mold of how gun rights are portrayed and perceived. We could have him join us for our lunch and WBRZ could show us all getting along, having overcome a previous misunderstanding. Lacking that, we need to find a way to show the average viewer that we are just as normal and boring as they are - that firearm ownership and carry ought to be as much of a non-event as owning and wearing pants.

imported post

All I am saying is if a group of us show up, are eating in the back of the store, SMILING, getting along, the fact we're also armed is a minor detail.
It should be/would be a "non-event."
To avoid Walmart just to avoid the possibility of being asked to leave isn't my personal preference.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd vote for the IHOP at 207 W Minnesota Park Rd

It's north of I-12 according to these directionsstarting from the intersection of I-12 and I-55, which most of us will pass through on the way to Hammond.

icon_greenA.png

I12 at I55

camera_dr1.png

Head west on I-12 W toward Exit 38A
camera_dr1.png

341ft

Take exit 38A to merge onto I-55 S toward New Orleans
camera_dr1.png

0.3mi

Take exit 29A to merge onto I-12 E toward Slidell
camera_dr1.png

1.9mi

Take exit 40 toward Hammond
camera_dr1.png

0.3mi

Turn left at 51/SW Railroad Ave/Veterans Ave
Continue to follow 51/SW Railroad Ave
camera_dr1.png

0.4mi

Turn left at W Minnesota Park Rd
Destination will be on the right
camera_dr1.png

89ft

icon_greenB.png

IHOP of Hammond

207 W Minnesota Park Rd
Hammond, LA 70403

Link to map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=restaurants+in+hammond+la&fb=1&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=image
This way, people can eat either breakfast or lunch; and we can talk to Rob without much chance of interruption by the managers.