• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If detained, be polite, or else...

Sheriff

imported post

How about downoading the text or PDF file and sending it to us upon request?

I hate registering everywhere, it always prompts SPAM e-mail. :D

nitrovic

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Jim675 wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
A- I wasn't aware Doctor's were at the scene of the arrest and investigated said accusations.

B-What does this have to do with open carry? I don't see in the story where the Doctor's stated the patients were detained for weapons charges.
A:  They were not, of course.  Neither are they on the  scene to investigate child abuse, sexual abuse, or domestic violence.  All of which they are required to recognize possible incidents of and report.  They are not charged with judging the abuser, merely recognizing the possibility.

B:  Police occasionally detain OCers and, per the AMA, the vast majority of doctors believe they have seen the results of police using excessive force to detain someone. 

The moral of the story was: Be polite to the officer. 
I would say this highlights the mention many make of carrying at least a voice recorder.  If conflict comes from contact with LE while OC or CC, in the view of nitrovic and others, any injury a citizen receives is justifiable because he MUST have resisted!

The reality of the OP is that we do not have the background on the incidents that lead up to the hospital cases referenced by the medical personnel.  Without that information, any actual conclusion to be drawn (other than simply 'be polite') is not based in facts, but in conjecture.  We don't know if those injured were resisting or not.  It could be, or it could be excessive force.  We do not know.

Please cite where I stated the above?

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

anyone who has been arrested, falsely or rightly knows that ALL cops abuse their authority and use excessive means while dealing with citizens.

all the way from overly right handcuffs, and condescending "holier-than-thou" abusive language to beatings.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The point isn't what percentage of police are abusive. The point is the AMA and actual law requires reporting abuse of other types where the abuser is in a position of power over the victim. Hopefully now that this survey exists it can be used as leverage to expand the reporting requirements and lessen the risk for OC in the future. The more eyes / audio / video watching any governmental process the better.

wrightme

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:
anyone who has been arrested, falsely or rightly knows that ALL cops abuse their authority and use excessive means while dealing with citizens.

all the way from overly right handcuffs, and condescending "holier-than-thou" abusive language to beatings.
I have been arrested. 3 times. Hopefully never again. I was not mistreated in the least in any of those encounters. Of course, I did not give the AO any reason to use force at all.

NOTE: events not OC/CC or weapon-related in any way.

Jizzzle

imported post

wrightme wrote:
mrbiggles wrote:

I have been arrested. 3 times. Hopefully never again. I was not mistreated in the least in any of those encounters. Of course, I did not give the AO any reason to use force at all.

NOTE: events not OC/CC or weapon-related in any way.

I have been arrested/detained only once. And my shoulders where so sore I couldn't raise my arms above my head for a week. I wasn't even formally arrested ie taken downtown. I wasn't charged with anything or given a citation. I didn't offer any resistance to anything that they did. They take it to far. They scream, bitch and moan about how "if we where the ones who had to put our lives on the line every day like they do, we'd understand". But, I'll tell you what. I was an SP in the USAF at one point. There are guys who just take it way to far and it needs to be taken care of.

BTW the funny thing that i can't figure out about this survey is, you arn't allowed to carry a gun in NYC right.. so police should be feeling less threatened right? right? so there should be less use of force by police because of that fact right? right? hmmm.... doesn't look like it's working out for them so well. An armed society is a polite society.

Sheriff

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:

I feel sure you meant to say TIGHT? Overly tight?

Tight handcuffs are usually a form of "street justice", an intentional result of "contempt of cop". Just like the Chet guy who was falsely arrested here on OC, he was telling the cop how to do his job by claiming the handcuffs were on too tight. That is "contempt of cop". So the cop tightened them up even more.

nitrovic

imported post

mrbiggles wrote:

Violation of forum rule #5.

5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).

Just like I told the original poster, I saw this coming a mile away. The police haters will eventually come in and ruin the thread.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

mrbiggles wrote:

This is clearly a gross over-generalization and signals the death knell of this thread.

We DO discuss police encounters with law-abiding gun owners on this forum and we DO take officers to task when they overstep their bounds.

HOWEVER, we do NOT engage in general LEO bashing and we do NOT foster an us-vs-them attitude!!!

If I had back all the hours of my life I had spent on this issue, I might still have hair!