• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police: Weapons, Ammo Seized from Plaxico's Home

Flintlock

imported post

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8986866/Police:-Weapons,-ammo-seized-at-Plaxico's-home?MSNHPHMA

A small cache of weapons and ammunition and the pants and sneakers that Plaxico Burress wore when he accidentally shot himself last month have been seized from the home of the New York Giants receiver, police said Wednesday.

A 9-mm handgun, a rifle and ammunition, including a clip for a .45 gun, were taken from Burress' home in Totowa by authorities executing a search warrant Tuesday evening, police said.
Investigators are trying to determine whether the weapons are registered, so it is unclear whether Burress will face additional charges.
Burress was charged with two felony gun-possession charges following the accidental shooting at a Manhattan nightclub last month.
Benjamin Brafman, the receiver's criminal attorney, said Wednesday morning that he believed that only a registered rifle was taken from the home. He did not know whether Burress would face additional charges.
"We have not had a chance to review this new information," Brafman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday morning. "When we do, we will have additional comments."
Burress was not at home during the three-hour search by Totowa police, four New York City detectives and a Brafman associate, said Totowa police chief Robert Coyle, adding the player's wife was present.
Brafman said his client was out of town but did not elaborate.
The New York Post reported that authorities discovered a suitcase full of money, but Coyle said that was not true.
Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 when he fumbled with an unlicensed handgun tucked into the waistband of his sweat pants. He checked himself into New York-Cornell Hospital and later turned himself in to police.
The Giants suspended Burress for the rest of the season and also withheld $1 million owed to him as part of his signing bonus.
Burress is due back in court March 31 and faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison on each count.
Burress was also sued last week in Florida's Broward County Circuit Court for rear-ending a woman in May while driving his nearly $140,000 Mercedes-Benz.
According to a document provided by the woman's attorney, his car insurance lapsed three days before the crash. A letter from Allstate says Burress neglected to pay his premiums.

Thundar

imported post

Bearing arms is a felony? See how damned evil the tyrant can be? Sad day for the US when a fundamental right can be so abused that you need government permission to exercise it!

A right that requires government permission to exercise is not a right.

Hcidem

imported post

At what point do my personal possessions become a "cache?" A single pistol, a magazine from another pistol, one rifle, and related ammunition owned by Plaxico Burress apparently qualifies as a cache according to Fox Sports.

From my desk, I can see a cache of writing instruments, a cache of post-its, a cache of magazines, and a DEFINITE cache of paperwork I need to process. However, I cannot define the quantity of firearms and ammunition I possess as a cache (unfortunately :)).

Here again we have a renegade journalist undermining any remaining integrity left in written media as he seeks sensationalism over content. Fools like this would just love to make Burress into some sort of gun-running revolutionary if they could.

wrightme

imported post

I do not define my personal firearms and ammunition ownership as a "cache of weapons," but I am a few levels beyond the reported "cache" in the OP. :shock:

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't worry, the moonbat messiah will have us all registering our "cache" in a few years. We'll be safer, sure.

CrossFire

imported post

Amazing how many boating accidents have happened in the last few months. Has anyone alerted the Coast Guard or lake patrols? I smell a conspiracy:what:

Thundar

imported post

CrossFire wrote:
Amazing how many boating accidents have happened in the last few months. Has anyone alerted the Coast Guard or lake patrols? I smell a conspiracy:what:

It is amazing that we have to worry about our rights!

The Coast Guard would not be good to notify, they are a federal police force with almost unlimited police power. They can search your boat or yacht without warrant or even probable cause. Besides they now work for the same federal cabinet as the dreaded BATFE, Homeland Security.

Don't get me wrong, they are competent enough at search and rescue, though the U.S. Navy and Air Force have better rescue swimmers.

varminter22

imported post

Thundar wrote:
The Coast Guard would not be good to notify, they are a federal police force with almost unlimited police power. They can search your boat or yacht without warrant or even probable cause. Besides they now work for the same federal cabinet as the dreaded BATFE, Homeland Security.
I guess I don't boat very often.

Is it true the Coast Guard can search your boat or yacht without warrant or even probable cause?? Even while on inland U. S. waters??

I can understand a different set of rules while in international waters, but while on waters within the U. S, I would think the same rules as motor driven vehicles would apply.

Does the 4th Amendment NOT apply to watercraft in the same manner as automobiles??

KBCraig

imported post

varminter22 wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Is it true the Coast Guard can search your boat or yacht without warrant or even probable cause?? Even while on inland U. S. waters??
Under the guise of "safety inspections", boaters are subject to almost limitless searches by various state and federal agencies, including USCG.

They're part of Homeland Security, but BATFE is not; ATF is Department of Justice.

Repeater

imported post

From the NY Daily News:

Lawyer claims Plaxico Burress's seized guns are legit

Police seized a 9-mm. Sig Sauer handgun and a .30-caliber rifle from Burress' Totowa, N.J., home Tuesday after executing a search warrant. Totowa Police Chief Robert Coyle said no decision has been made on whether to charge Burress. Investigators found gun licenses at the home, but have not been able to match them to the seized weapons, sources said.

Burress, 31, wasn't home during the three-hour search, but his wife and a lawyer were. Totowa police executed the warrant with NYPD detectives and a Manhattan prosecutor.

The unloaded 9-mm. semiautomatic was stored in a locked gun box.
What in the world is the Probable Cause for the search warrant?

Why did it take 3 hours?

Why was a NY prosecutor there inside a NJ home??

Thundar

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
varminter22 wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Under the guise of "safety inspections", boaters are subject to almost limitless searches by various state and federal agencies, including USCG.

They're part of Homeland Security, but BATFE is not; ATF is Department of Justice.
oops, you are right BATFE is not Homeland Security.

PayMeNow

imported post

Hey,

This crap really makes me sad. In a country with an individual right to keep and bear arms, a man is facing a felony conviction for bearing arms.

Don’t bash this player for acting like a responsible American. Bash the Giants for suspending him, bash NYC for violating basic human rights and bash NJ for allowing an baseless warrant to be served seizing constitutionally guaranteed property.

Out of the box thinking: I wonder if the NYC police recovered the handgun in the city or the bullet from his leg. I also wonder if the NYC handgun ban includes black powder. If black powder is not illegal, then without evidence that it was definitively a modern handgun, there is reasonable doubt that any law was violated.

Peace Out

KansasMustang

imported post

Truth is, I think the self inflicted wound and the shame of it being announced worldwide is more than enough punishment. The BS of them prosecuting him is just that. Pure BS.

MetalChris

imported post

PayMeNow wrote:
Don’t bash this player for acting like a responsible American.
What?! Since when is Mexican carrying a weapon into a crowded building considered responsible? What the hell are you smokin...can I have some? Please?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can't really demand someone to do something responsibly if it isn't legal in the first place. It doesn't exactly justify the irresponsibility, but for now I'm going to point my fingers at NY instead of Burress.

Gordie

imported post

Safely carrying and handlinga gun for your own protection is the responsibility of the gun owner.

Not interfering with the right to do so is the the responsibility of the government.

If Burris pays for the cleanup at the club and any other damages it should be a done deal for him.

The continued violation of his rights by the city of New York and the states of New York and New Jersey needs to be dealt with.

wrightme

imported post

PayMeNow wrote:
Hey,

This crap really makes me sad. In a country with an individual right to keep and bear arms, a man is facing a felony conviction for bearing arms.

Don’t bash this player for acting like a responsible American. Bash the Giants for suspending him, bash NYC for violating basic human rights and bash NJ for allowing an baseless warrant to be served seizing constitutionally guaranteed property.

Out of the box thinking: I wonder if the NYC police recovered the handgun in the city or the bullet from his leg. I also wonder if the NYC handgun ban includes black powder. If black powder is not illegal, then without evidence that it was definitively a modern handgun, there is reasonable doubt that any law was violated.

Peace Out
"Responsible American?"
He was not legally carrying a firearm.
He had a Negligent Discharge in Public, causing injury to self.
He is rightfully in trouble because he did not perform as a law-abiding citizen.