Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good story (Positive LE encounter)

Post imported post

I was driving home last night from dropping my boat off at the mechanic when the car in front of me (idiot) hit a deer and kept going. My friend and I stopped, decided we were going to have to dispatch of her, but she was still kicking and thrashing enough that neither of us wanted to get close enough to use a pocket knife.

I called the non-emergency police number for Suffolk and got 19 different menu options...hung up after about number 8 and just called 911. Said I was going to shoot a deer and figured they should know (.45ACP out of a 3" barrel isn't exactly quiet). She practically screamed "NO!" and said a cruiser would be there shortly. He was. Saw what was going on, hopped out to join us. By this time the guy who hit her showed back up with his son and his neighbor (who wanted the deer). Told the cop I would shoot her and mentioned my .45 on my waist to which he paid no attention and said he'd rather shoot her. I obliged. Shot 1: neck, Shot 2: missed.

I then say again that I'd be glad to shoot her. Shot 1: Back of head, Shot 2: middle of head.

She took a while to die and since the neighbor decided he wanted the deer (and seemed entitled to it since his neighbor did indeed hit the animal) I wanted to leave rather than watch the deer think about dying.

Told the cop I was headed out, he smiled, said thanks, have a good night, etc.

Never asked about a permit...I had it OWB with a tucked in shirt, but had since put bibs on over top of it, so it was mostly (99%) concealed when he pulled up, never even mentioned my gun. Nor, at any point, did any of the other folks say a word about it.

Isn't that what we're looking for?

ETA: at some point in that story, a higher up (older cop, unmarked car, bars or chevrons or something on his coat sleeve) pulled up, rolled down the window and after hearing the story of what had just happened told the cop that he should have just let me shoot it in the first place, laughed and pulled off. Also, uninterested in my gun, permit status, etc...

Post imported post

Man things are a lot different down there in Blacksburg :-p

Good story!

Post imported post

That was in Suffolk. Funny part about what you say is that about a month ago I came up on the same situation on Rt 8 in Montgomery County (outside of Blacksburg) and called the sheriff and said the same thing to the dispatcher I got there about letting them know before I shot it, etc. The response I got was great: "That's fine, but now don't be shooting out your window or across roads with traffic or anything...have a good one."

I'm just shy of a deer magnet, I'm like a second-hand deer magnet.

Post imported post

I have a feeling that the officer was kicking himself afterwards about the paperwork he will have to do with coming to the location and attempting to shoot it and then about the neighbour wanting to claim the body of the animal instead of just having you shoot it and the neighbour take it away without having to show up.

Post imported post

The older cop was right. In some places they have to call VDOT to remove the deer, do a report, etc. PITA.

Post imported post

He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other. They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other.* They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...
    I take it he wasn't much of a hunter...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Apparently, it isn't always easy to "shoot fish in a barrel."
    ---

Post imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
    Apparently, it isn't always easy to "shoot fish in a barrel."

, or "deer in a barrel".

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    Told the cop I would shoot her and mentioned my .45 on my waist to which he paid no attention and said he'd rather shoot her. I obliged. Shot 1: neck, Shot 2: missed.
    WTF?????? :shock:
    yeah, how did he miss?

Post imported post

nitrovic wrote:
    SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other. They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...
    I take it he wasn't much of a hunter...
    I don't know about that. He did get it with the car. Granted it was not a one shot kill and he should have finished the deer off right away. (back up over it). All in all, a good story except for the deer. Merry Christmas.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Lets see ... 2 ton Buick going 50 FPS, wounds deer, two 230 grain .45 bullets going 850 FPS, deer dispatched. This settles the heavy slow bullet verses the fast light bullet argument.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
    That was in Suffolk. Funny part about what you say is that about a month ago I came up on the same situation on Rt 8 in Montgomery County (outside of Blacksburg) and called the sheriff and said the same thing to the dispatcher I got there about letting them know before I shot it, etc. The response I got was great: "That's fine, but now don't be shooting out your window or across roads with traffic or anything...have a good one."

I'm just shy of a deer magnet, I'm like a second-hand deer magnet.
    Who the heck wants second-hand deer...?

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Lets see ... 2 ton Buick going 50 FPS, wounds deer, two 230 grain .45 bullets going 850 FPS, deer dispatched. This settles the heavy slow bullet verses the fast light bullet argument.
    Sigh... I'll get the popcorn...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    All you've settled is that Buicks aren't worth $hit for deer hunting on the byways of the Commonwealth.

Now if it had been a Dodge Ram, it would have been a clean kill. Mopar Rocks!!

(I'll need a little of that popcorn, Pave.)

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."

Post imported post

I had a good encounter last week myself (Newport News). I had two officers drive up to me after I called about a semi-domestic-sort-of situation with my 11 year-old daughter and her mother. I had left my Hi-Power in the car and had walked out to talk to them with an empty holster. With the potential for a verbal altercation with my daughter's mother, I did not want to appear threatening whatsoever.

One of the officers asked if I was carrying a weapon. I told him that it was secured in the car and that I don't leave home without it. He asked what I carry. I told him a 47 year old Hi-Power and we exchanged a few comments about appreciation for old classics.

Nothing more was mentioned and the two officers, and a third who showed up later, never seemed to mind at all that there was a weapon nearby, even after I went to my car twice.

I've lived here all my life and have never really had any bad encounters. Knock on wood!

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Bring a vehicle that begins with a "4."

Post imported post

A similar story happened to me last year.While driving in Fauquier County, we came upon an injured deer on the side of the road and I debated about using my glock or calling the sheriff's department. I ended up calling and when the Deputy showed up I told him I thought about shooting the deer since I had my gun with me, he replied they rather do it, asked if I wanted the deer and that was it. I was cc that day.

Post imported post

My sister's best friend from college was driving by busy suburban mall in Raleigh, NC a couple weeks ago at 2:30 in the afternoon when she hit "a herd" of deer.

One even committed suicide by jumping through a closed window, and expiring inside the car.
    (new van - only had it 8 weeks)

Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:07 PM
    Subject: Joyce hit a heard of deer

Unbelievable photos... Joyce was not hurt ... very badly shaken as you will understand when you look at the photos.

Yesterday (Sat.) at 2:30 in the afternoon, Joyce hit a heard of deer (about 10) in the right lane of a busy suburban shopping area outside Raleigh (not out in the country). She said all of a sudden they were all just in front of her, & she couldn't avoid. She hit about 3 (which ran off) -- many ran over the hood & top of her van (brand new--less than 8 weeks old). The one in the photos dove through the driver's side backseat window, breaking it out totally & landing, dead, in the backseat floor. See photo 737-- shows the window broken out, & in the background is the awning of an Applebee's, & she was right beside a Chick Fil-A (the deer had been racing all around that just before they ran out into the street where she hit them-- people in C.F. said they thought the deer were going to crash through the shop's windows).

If she had been going just a bit slower, that deer would have come through the driver's window & onto her. I'm sure she would have had a broken neck & been crushed by the deer. She's lucky to be alive & to not have been injured. -- I'm really shaken up by this & have had a hard day dealing with what could have happened to her. It could so easily have been tragic.

Her van is a mess. It was towed off (with the dead deer still inside). Not sure what can be fixed. She'll find out more tomorrow. What a horror.

Post imported post

Yea I had one like this once too. The woman who hit the deer was trying to "help" it when I drove up. It had both legs on one side broken and more then a couple of ribs, I suppose from hitting the windshield of the car. No amount of nursing it was gong to heal it. Anyway it was in a lot of pain, Thrashing about trying to stand, and it was not being particularly quiet about any of this, which did not help the woman's composure.

The woman was almost hysterical. I explained that I would take care of the deer as I walked her back to my truck. Itold her to stay there, got a revolver from the glove box, Walked back to the deer and dispatched it. Now I admit I used too much gun, but I used what I had with me.

She comes running up to the car and sees the now dead deer laying lifeless and screams. The next thing I know She is screaming at me at the top of her lungs horrified that I "killed a defenseless deer."

Well ... Long story short, someone had called the police, who had called the Game Warden. The Police show up first. Nice young kid, but obviously new on the job,and there is a lot of talk about shooting in a public right of way, shooting within 100 yards of an inhabited dwelling and stuff like that. The woman is screaming at the cop " I want him arrested, I want him arrested...". The deer is lying in the road in a pool of bloodin front of the woman's smashed car, people are starting to gather from nearby houses and traffic is stopping in the street. Sort of general mayhem.

Finally the Game Warden shows up. The Officer confers with him about game laws and a lot of crap about all the non game related violations that might be placed against me. The Game warden is trying to explain to the Officer that I had done the right thing, and certainly had done exactly what he would have done.

At that point the woman starts shrieking at the Game warden that it is out of season and that I had killed a deer and she wanted me arrested. At that point the game wardens says, "Everyone just hold on a minute." "Miss, HE did not kill the deer, YOU killed the deer, all he did was stop it's pain." "There is not a Judge in Virginia that would convict anyone for what he did, and in fact he did what I would have done had I been here, and I am not going to arrest him."

He and the Police Officer talked a little more, andI was free to go. But this was about 16 years ago. I don't know if you would be set free in this area if this sort of thing happened today. But I would still do the same thing under the same circumstances. Although I might take a moment to explain to the other person what had to be done.

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    Yea I had one like this once too. The woman who hit the deer was trying to "help" it when I drove up. It had both legs on one side broken and more then a couple of ribs, I suppose from hitting the windshield of the car. No amount of nursing it was gong to heal it. Anyway it was in a lot of pain, Thrashing about trying to stand, and it was not being particularly quiet about any of this, which did not help the woman's composure.

The woman was almost hysterical. I explained that I would take care of the deer as I walked her back to my truck. Itold her to stay there, got a revolver from the glove box, Walked back to the deer and dispatched it. Now I admit I used too much gun, but I used what I had with me.

She comes running up to the car and sees the now dead deer laying lifeless and screams. The next thing I know She is screaming at me at the top of her lungs horrified that I "killed a defenseless deer."

Well ... Long story short, someone had called the police, who had called the Game Warden. The Police show up first. Nice young kid, but obviously new on the job,and there is a lot of talk about shooting in a public right of way, shooting within 100 yards of an inhabited dwelling and stuff like that. The woman is screaming at the cop " I want him arrested, I want him arrested...". The deer is lying in the road in a pool of bloodin front of the woman's smashed car, people are starting to gather from nearby houses and traffic is stopping in the street. Sort of general mayhem.

Finally the Game Warden shows up. The Officer confers with him about game laws and a lot of crap about all the non game related violations that might be placed against me. The Game warden is trying to explain to the Officer that I had done the right thing, and certainly had done exactly what he would have done.

At that point the woman starts shrieking at the Game warden that it is out of season and that I had killed a deer and she wanted me arrested. At that point the game wardens says, "Everyone just hold on a minute." "Miss, HE did not kill the deer, YOU killed the deer, all he did was stop it's pain." "There is not a Judge in Virginia that would convict anyone for what he did, and in fact he did what I would have done had I been here, and I am not going to arrest him."

He and the Police Officer talked a little more, andI was free to go. But this was about 16 years ago. I don't know if you would be set free in this area if this sort of thing happened today. But I would still do the same thing under the same circumstances. Although I might take a moment to explain to the other person what had to be done.
    It just amazes me how out of touch with reality people are.

What did the woman think, there was a hospital that would help the deer and return it back to the wild?

People are so out of touch.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    What did the woman think, there was a hospital that would help the deer and return it back to the wild?
    Yes.
    Yup! Just watch Animal Planet!

Post imported post

DocV wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    hsmith wrote:
    Yes.
    Yup! Just watch Animal Planet!
    Actually she told the police that had I not killed it,she could have taken it home so she and her children could nurse it back to health.

That is when I left, whilethe Game Warden explained the law and the truth to her so I have no idea how that part ended.

While I admire the Lady's desire to help an injured animal, she did need a reality check.

Regards

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    .....there is a lot of talk about shooting in a public right of way, shooting within 100 yards of an inhabited dwelling and stuff like that. The woman is screaming at the cop " I want him arrested, I want him arrested...".
    Exactly why I will never dispatch an injured animal like that if there are witnesses. It may be the "right and compassionate" thing to do- but I'm not interested in going to court over an animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast