• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good story (Positive LE encounter)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

I was driving home last night from dropping my boat off at the mechanic when the car in front of me (idiot) hit a deer and kept going. My friend and I stopped, decided we were going to have to dispatch of her, but she was still kicking and thrashing enough that neither of us wanted to get close enough to use a pocket knife.

I called the non-emergency police number for Suffolk and got 19 different menu options...hung up after about number 8 and just called 911. Said I was going to shoot a deer and figured they should know (.45ACP out of a 3" barrel isn't exactly quiet). She practically screamed "NO!" and said a cruiser would be there shortly. He was. Saw what was going on, hopped out to join us. By this time the guy who hit her showed back up with his son and his neighbor (who wanted the deer). Told the cop I would shoot her and mentioned my .45 on my waist to which he paid no attention and said he'd rather shoot her. I obliged. Shot 1: neck, Shot 2: missed.

I then say again that I'd be glad to shoot her. Shot 1: Back of head, Shot 2: middle of head.

She took a while to die and since the neighbor decided he wanted the deer (and seemed entitled to it since his neighbor did indeed hit the animal) I wanted to leave rather than watch the deer think about dying.

Told the cop I was headed out, he smiled, said thanks, have a good night, etc.

Never asked about a permit...I had it OWB with a tucked in shirt, but had since put bibs on over top of it, so it was mostly (99%) concealed when he pulled up, never even mentioned my gun. Nor, at any point, did any of the other folks say a word about it.

Isn't that what we're looking for?

ETA: at some point in that story, a higher up (older cop, unmarked car, bars or chevrons or something on his coat sleeve) pulled up, rolled down the window and after hearing the story of what had just happened told the cop that he should have just let me shoot it in the first place, laughed and pulled off. Also, uninterested in my gun, permit status, etc...

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

That was in Suffolk. Funny part about what you say is that about a month ago I came up on the same situation on Rt 8 in Montgomery County (outside of Blacksburg) and called the sheriff and said the same thing to the dispatcher I got there about letting them know before I shot it, etc. The response I got was great: "That's fine, but now don't be shooting out your window or across roads with traffic or anything...have a good one."

I'm just shy of a deer magnet, I'm like a second-hand deer magnet.

Sleepless

imported post

I have a feeling that the officer was kicking himself afterwards about the paperwork he will have to do with coming to the location and attempting to shoot it and then about the neighbour wanting to claim the body of the animal instead of just having you shoot it and the neighbour take it away without having to show up. :lol:

nitrovic

imported post

The older cop was right. In some places they have to call VDOT to remove the deer, do a report, etc. PITA.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other. They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...

nitrovic

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other.  They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...

I take it he wasn't much of a hunter...

Sheriff

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Told the cop I would shoot her and mentioned my .45 on my waist to which he paid no attention and said he'd rather shoot her. I obliged. Shot 1: neck, Shot 2: missed.
WTF?????? :shock:

tsannicolas

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Told the cop I would shoot her and mentioned my .45 on my waist to which he paid no attention and said he'd rather shoot her. I obliged. Shot 1: neck, Shot 2: missed.
WTF?????? :shock:
yeah, how did he miss?

sccrref

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
He meant I should have just shot it in the first place because the younger cop missed with one shot and missed the head with the other. They decided that since the guy hit it and had deer tags, he (the neighbor) could just tag it and move on...

I take it he wasn't much of a hunter...
I don't know about that. He did get it with the car. Granted it was not a one shot kill and he should have finished the deer off right away. (back up over it). All in all, a good story except for the deer. Merry Christmas.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lets see ... 2 ton Buick going 50 FPS, wounds deer, two 230 grain .45 bullets going 850 FPS, deer dispatched. This settles the heavy slow bullet verses the fast light bullet argument.

PavePusher

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
That was in Suffolk. Funny part about what you say is that about a month ago I came up on the same situation on Rt 8 in Montgomery County (outside of Blacksburg) and called the sheriff and said the same thing to the dispatcher I got there about letting them know before I shot it, etc. The response I got was great: "That's fine, but now don't be shooting out your window or across roads with traffic or anything...have a good one."

I'm just shy of a deer magnet, I'm like a second-hand deer magnet.
Who the heck wants second-hand deer...?:lol:

PavePusher

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Lets see ... 2 ton Buick going 50 FPS, wounds deer, two 230 grain .45 bullets going 850 FPS, deer dispatched. This settles the heavy slow bullet verses the fast light bullet argument.
Sigh... I'll get the popcorn...:D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

All you've settled is that Buicks aren't worth $hit for deer hunting on the byways of the Commonwealth.

Now if it had been a Dodge Ram, it would have been a clean kill. Mopar Rocks!!

(I'll need a little of that popcorn, Pave.)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

popcorn.gif

HardChrome

imported post

I had a good encounter last week myself (Newport News). I had two officers drive up to me after I called about a semi-domestic-sort-of situation with my 11 year-old daughter and her mother. I had left my Hi-Power in the car and had walked out to talk to them with an empty holster. With the potential for a verbal altercation with my daughter's mother, I did not want to appear threatening whatsoever.

One of the officers asked if I was carrying a weapon. I told him that it was secured in the car and that I don't leave home without it. He asked what I carry. I told him a 47 year old Hi-Power and we exchanged a few comments about appreciation for old classics.

Nothing more was mentioned and the two officers, and a third who showed up later, never seemed to mind at all that there was a weapon nearby, even after I went to my car twice.

I've lived here all my life and have never really had any bad encounters. Knock on wood!

architect

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Bring a vehicle that begins with a "4."

rebfan

imported post

A similar story happened to me last year.While driving in Fauquier County, we came upon an injured deer on the side of the road and I debated about using my glock or calling the sheriff's department. I ended up calling and when the Deputy showed up I told him I thought about shooting the deer since I had my gun with me, he replied they rather do it, asked if I wanted the deer and that was it. I was cc that day.