Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plaxico Burress' home seized and searched by government agents

Post imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_burress_search_

A small cache of weapons and ammunition and the pants and sneakers that Plaxico Burress wore when he accidentally shot himself last month have been seized from the home of the New York Giants receiver, police said Wednesday.

A 9-mm handgun, a .30-06-caliber rifle and ammunition, including a clip for a .45 gun, were taken from Burress' home in Totowa, N.J., by authorities executing a search warrant Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Investigators are trying to determine whether the weapons are registered, so it is unclear whether Burress will face additional charges.

Burress was charged with two felony gun-possession charges following the accidental shooting at a Manhattan nightclub last month.

Benjamin Brafman, the receiver's criminal attorney, said Wednesday morning that he believed that only a registered rifle was taken from the home. He did not know whether Burress would face additional charges.

"We have not had a chance to review this new information," Brafman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday morning. "When we do, we will have additional comment."

Burress was not at home during the three-hour search by Totowa police, four New York City detectives and a Brafman associate, said Totowa police chief Robert Coyle, adding the player's wife was present.

Brafman said his client was out of town but did not elaborate.

The New York Post reported that authorities discovered a suitcase full of money, but Coyle said that was not true.

Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 when he fumbled with an unlicensed handgun tucked into the waistband of his sweat pants. He checked himself into New York-Cornell Hospital and later turned himself in to police.

The Giants suspended Burress for the rest of the season and also withheld $1 million owed to him as part of his signing bonus.

Burress is due back in court March 31 and faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison on each count.

Burress was also sued last week in Florida's Broward County Circuit Court for rear-ending a woman in May while driving his nearly $140,000 Mercedes-Benz.

According to a document provided by the woman's attorney, his car insurance lapsed three days before the crash. A letter from Allstate says Burress neglected to pay his premiums.warrant

"These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote: This is an example of why the media is total garbage. When they use "cache of weapons and ammunition" they are implying something sinister.

"Weapons are registered", What?!! When did registration become the law of the land?
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Post imported post

Wow. So getting busted for illegal carry in New York makes it okay for police in another state to raid your house.

Post imported post

What does "legal" have to do with it any more? They are just making it up as they go now.

Post imported post

Instead of bending over for this, Burress should make NY and NJ pay by challenging and invalidating their unconstitutional gun laws. That would be righteous.

Post imported post

I agree with Marshul.....BUT.....methinks that boy is a goner. They want him.

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    I agree with Marshul.....BUT.....methinks that boy is a goner. They want him.
    Well, they, NY, NJ, and Bloomberg, want to make an example of him. The NFL, the Giants, and even the fans have all turned their backs on him.

This is why you don't illegally carry, especially in NYC. You're in the Matrix in places like that. The people around you will narc you out like zombies.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Wow. So getting busted for illegal carry in New York makes it okay for police in another state to raid your house.
    +1

If people aren't outraged by this they aren't paying attention. His house gets raided? Who was the judge that signed off on the warrant? How did this jump state lines? Is this a Federal case now? How is it a federal case? Looks like a "cache" of government tyranny and media hype.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

T Dubya wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Who was the judge that signed off on the warrant? How did this jump state lines? Is this a Federal case now? How is it a federal case? Looks like a "cache" of government tyranny and media hype.
    It would not be too much of a stretch for a Judge in one state to accept an arrest for illegal carry in another state as probable cause the person might have illegal firearms in his home. It is NO stretch for me to believe police in NJ would think to present such an application. I don't agree with it for about 20 or 25 reasons, but hey we are talking about NY and NJ.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

So bearing arms is a felony in N.Y. and simply keeping arms is a felony in New Jersey. This stuff just screams for 2A incorporation under the 14th A.

This stuff really sets my blood boiling. Maybe we need topenalize those states that do not respect theRKBA. We already penalize states that do not set their drinking age at 21. If their age is lower they lose some of their highway funds.

States that violate RKBA should likewise loose some of their homeland defence funding.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    This stuff just screams for 2A incorporation under the 14th A.Â*
    We're going to get that from Nordyke very soon, possibly within the month. Burress won't have to do it for us, he'll already have incorporation to use for his own benefit.

I'll say it again: Burress is being "made an example of" by a conspiracy of criminal thugs, in clear violation of his Constitutional rights. He should challenge and invalidate all of the NY and NJ laws being used against him. If he doesn't do so, he's either ignorant or a masochist.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Instead of bending over for this, Burress should make NY and NJ pay by challenging and invalidating their unconstitutional gun laws. That would be righteous.
    I doubt the kind of *cough* person *cough* that would Mexican carry a pistol into a nightclub isn't the type of person who knows or cares about any laws.

I hope he gets hung out to dry.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    I hope he gets hung out to dry.
    And what possible justification could there be for this outcome?

Or do you think ignorance and/or stupidity should be punishable offenses?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Or that carry in a bar is somehow wrong? Or, worse, that not carrying in an expensive holster product with many marketeering attributes is wrong?

I carried Mexican-style with no complications for some years. Two personal anecdotes to not data make, neither do opinions.

SC gun rights activists are trying to legalize carry in 'bars'.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Or that carry in a bar is somehow wrong? Or, worse, that not carrying in an expensive holster product with many marketeering attributes is wrong?

I carried Mexican-style with no complications for some years. Two personal anecdotes to not data make, neither do opinions.

SC gun rights activists are trying to legalize carry in 'bars'.
    MetalChris wrote:
    Mexican carry

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

One thing Plaxico Burress has is a LOT of money. Let's review a few things.

1) There is no requirement to register guns when you move into New Jersey.

2) Burress has a lot of money. The only way he's going to be able to beat this situation is to get the entire search tossed, and the charges dismissed. As a NJ resident, he CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get a NY carry license, which means that he has a colorable argument to use the 2nd amendment. If I were him, I'd be calling up Alan Gura right this second.

Post imported post

Last I checked no states require the use of a holster. Are we to start hunting for charges to press against any person who doesn't use one?

Post imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
    If I were him, I'd be calling up Alan Gura right this second.
    If you were him, I highly doubt you'd know who the hell Alan Gura is.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

I think under normal circumstances this guy would not care about his 2A rights. So I would not have counted on him to show up at a lobby event.

However, things change. At this juncture, one of his strongest defenses on the gun charges, especially those related to keeping arms in his home, is to fight based on a 2A claim coupled with Heller. So he may HAVE to become a 2A activist. But Sullivan still weighs heavy on New Yorkers, and he was carrying. His only hope is a federal challenge through the appellate process.

Regards

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Marshaul wrote:
    Last I checked no states require the use of a holster. Are we to start hunting for charges to press against any person who doesn't use one?
    I never said that he should be charged with carrying without a holster (and yes in the state of Ohio you are required to carry in a holster.) All I said was an ignorant moronic fool that Mexican carries into a crowded nightclub more than likely doesn't give a flying f*ck about the law.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Marshaul wrote:
    I never said that he should be charged with carrying without a holster (and yes in the state of Ohio you are required to carry in a holster.) All I said was an ignorant moronic fool that Mexican carries into a crowded nightclub more than likely doesn't give a flying f*ck about the law.
    You also said you hope he gets hung out to dry. Which tells me you think the second ammendment is only for people you happen to like.

The problem with that is that if they can screw over Burress, they can screw over you, too.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Marshaul wrote:
    Make that Ohio and Georgia. Concealed carry in GA requires that "...person may only carry the pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm only in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, or any other holster (ankle holster, crotch holster, fanny pack holster, pocket holster,ect) and also a hipgrip or any other similar securing device..." [excerpted]

(( NOT a disagreement with Marshaul, I'm just being picky :P))

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    Marshaul wrote:
    You also said you hope he gets hung out to dry. Which tells me you think the second ammendment is only for people you happen to like.

The problem with that is that if they can screw over Burress, they can screw over you, too.
    You're right, I overreacted a bit. I'm just exceedingly tired of these so-called "professional athletes" who think they're above the law.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    Marshaul wrote:

You're right, I overreacted a bit. I'm just exceedingly tired of these so-called "professional athletes" who think they're above the law.
    I'm quite a bit more tired of so-called "professional police officers" and "professional attornies" and of course "professional politicians" who thinkthey are above the state and federal constitutions.

It's okay to say Burress is a nitwit. It's probably true. But you gotta keep your eye on the ball.

Post imported post

MetalChris wrote:
    Marshaul wrote:
    Half-right. You said he should be "hung out to dry", so although you don't think he should be charged with no-holster carry, presumably you do think he should be charged with NY unconstitutional no-issue carry restrictions.

Furthermore, I can't say I give much of a "flying f*ck" what the law is either, when the law in question is so patently unconstitutional. So, even if our motivations are different, you're not going to find me caring about Burress' lack of respect for the law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast