• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plaxico Burress' home seized and searched by government agents

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_burress_search_

A small cache of weapons and ammunition and the pants and sneakers that Plaxico Burress wore when he accidentally shot himself last month have been seized from the home of the New York Giants receiver, police said Wednesday.

A 9-mm handgun, a .30-06-caliber rifle and ammunition, including a clip for a .45 gun, were taken from Burress' home in Totowa, N.J., by authorities executing a search warrant Tuesday afternoon, police said.

Investigators are trying to determine whether the weapons are registered, so it is unclear whether Burress will face additional charges.

Burress was charged with two felony gun-possession charges following the accidental shooting at a Manhattan nightclub last month.

Benjamin Brafman, the receiver's criminal attorney, said Wednesday morning that he believed that only a registered rifle was taken from the home. He did not know whether Burress would face additional charges.

"We have not had a chance to review this new information," Brafman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday morning. "When we do, we will have additional comment."

Burress was not at home during the three-hour search by Totowa police, four New York City detectives and a Brafman associate, said Totowa police chief Robert Coyle, adding the player's wife was present.

Brafman said his client was out of town but did not elaborate.

The New York Post reported that authorities discovered a suitcase full of money, but Coyle said that was not true.

Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 when he fumbled with an unlicensed handgun tucked into the waistband of his sweat pants. He checked himself into New York-Cornell Hospital and later turned himself in to police.

The Giants suspended Burress for the rest of the season and also withheld $1 million owed to him as part of his signing bonus.

Burress is due back in court March 31 and faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison on each count.

Burress was also sued last week in Florida's Broward County Circuit Court for rear-ending a woman in May while driving his nearly $140,000 Mercedes-Benz.

According to a document provided by the woman's attorney, his car insurance lapsed three days before the crash. A letter from Allstate says Burress neglected to pay his premiums.warrant

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

canadian

imported post

What does "legal" have to do with it any more? They are just making it up as they go now.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Instead of bending over for this, Burress should make NY and NJ pay by challenging and invalidating their unconstitutional gun laws. That would be righteous.

Tomahawk

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I agree with Marshul.....BUT.....methinks that boy is a goner. They want him.:uhoh:

Well, they, NY, NJ, and Bloomberg, want to make an example of him. The NFL, the Giants, and even the fans have all turned their backs on him.

This is why you don't illegally carry, especially in NYC. You're in the Matrix in places like that. The people around you will narc you out like zombies.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Wow. So getting busted for illegal carry in New York makes it okay for police in another state to raid your house.

+1

If people aren't outraged by this they aren't paying attention. His house gets raided? Who was the judge that signed off on the warrant? How did this jump state lines? Is this a Federal case now? How is it a federal case? Looks like a "cache" of government tyranny and media hype.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
Who was the judge that signed off on the warrant? How did this jump state lines? Is this a Federal case now? How is it a federal case? Looks like a "cache" of government tyranny and media hype.

It would not be too much of a stretch for a Judge in one state to accept an arrest for illegal carry in another state as probable cause the person might have illegal firearms in his home. It is NO stretch for me to believe police in NJ would think to present such an application. I don't agree with it for about 20 or 25 reasons, but hey we are talking about NY and NJ.

Regards

Thundar

imported post

So bearing arms is a felony in N.Y. and simply keeping arms is a felony in New Jersey. This stuff just screams for 2A incorporation under the 14th A.

This stuff really sets my blood boiling. Maybe we need topenalize those states that do not respect theRKBA. We already penalize states that do not set their drinking age at 21. If their age is lower they lose some of their highway funds.

States that violate RKBA should likewise loose some of their homeland defence funding.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
This stuff just screams for 2A incorporation under the 14th A. 
We're going to get that from Nordyke very soon, possibly within the month. Burress won't have to do it for us, he'll already have incorporation to use for his own benefit.

I'll say it again: Burress is being "made an example of" by a conspiracy of criminal thugs, in clear violation of his Constitutional rights. He should challenge and invalidate all of the NY and NJ laws being used against him. If he doesn't do so, he's either ignorant or a masochist.

MetalChris

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Instead of bending over for this, Burress should make NY and NJ pay by challenging and invalidating their unconstitutional gun laws. That would be righteous.
I doubt the kind of *cough* person *cough* that would Mexican carry a pistol into a nightclub isn't the type of person who knows or cares about any laws.

I hope he gets hung out to dry.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Or that carry in a bar is somehow wrong? Or, worse, that not carrying in an expensive holster product with many marketeering attributes is wrong?

I carried Mexican-style with no complications for some years. Two personal anecdotes to not data make, neither do opinions.

SC gun rights activists are trying to legalize carry in 'bars'.

MetalChris

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Or that carry in a bar is somehow wrong? Or, worse, that not carrying in an expensive holster product with many marketeering attributes is wrong?

I carried Mexican-style with no complications for some years. Two personal anecdotes to not data make, neither do opinions.

SC gun rights activists are trying to legalize carry in 'bars'.
MetalChris wrote:
Mexican carry

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

One thing Plaxico Burress has is a LOT of money. Let's review a few things.

1) There is no requirement to register guns when you move into New Jersey.

2) Burress has a lot of money. The only way he's going to be able to beat this situation is to get the entire search tossed, and the charges dismissed. As a NJ resident, he CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get a NY carry license, which means that he has a colorable argument to use the 2nd amendment. If I were him, I'd be calling up Alan Gura right this second.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Last I checked no states require the use of a holster. Are we to start hunting for charges to press against any person who doesn't use one?

MetalChris

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
If I were him, I'd be calling up Alan Gura right this second.
If you were him, I highly doubt you'd know who the hell Alan Gura is. :lol:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think under normal circumstances this guy would not care about his 2A rights. So I would not have counted on him to show up at a lobby event.

However, things change. At this juncture, one of his strongest defenses on the gun charges, especially those related to keeping arms in his home, is to fight based on a 2A claim coupled with Heller. So he may HAVE to become a 2A activist. But Sullivan still weighs heavy on New Yorkers, and he was carrying. His only hope is a federal challenge through the appellate process.

Regards

MetalChris

imported post

Marshaul wrote:
Last I checked no states require the use of a holster. Are we to start hunting for charges to press against any person who doesn't use one?

I never said that he should be charged with carrying without a holster (and yes in the state of Ohio you are required to carry in a holster.) All I said was an ignorant moronic fool that Mexican carries into a crowded nightclub more than likely doesn't give a flying f*ck about the law.